Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Why I'm done messing around with strings (for now) (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=444853)

Doubles 11-04-2012 07:13 PM

Why I'm done messing around with strings (for now)

I've made countless threads on strings. I've written in even more playtest threads than I can think of. Today, I played a set with Prestige Pro strung with Black Magic mains OGSM crosses at 49/51. I played no worse with that than I ever did with Gut/Poly or full poly. Maybe it's taken longer for me to realize it that some others, but today confirmed it for me: a poly/syn gut hybrid is just as good for me as anything else. For the first time in a long time, I'm content with my strings.

mikeler 11-05-2012 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doubles (Post 6995196)
I've made countless threads on strings. I've written in even more playtest threads than I can think of. Today, I played a set with Prestige Pro strung with Black Magic mains OGSM crosses at 49/51. I played no worse with that than I ever did with Gut/Poly or full poly. Maybe it's taken longer for me to realize it that some others, but today confirmed it for me: a poly/syn gut hybrid is just as good for me as anything else. For the first time in a long time, I'm content with my strings.

See you back here next month. :twisted:

Xonemains 11-05-2012 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 6995553)
See you back here next month. :twisted:

what are you talking about??

One bad loss next week and hes searching for a new combo already, LOL :)

no need to wait 1 month

ChicagoJack 11-05-2012 05:32 AM

Oh man, I hate to jump on the dog pile here when doubles seems so happy with his string. I can sorta intuit how that combo might work for at least one set. But I can think of a dozen low price options that play decently for a set. When those stiff poly mains start sawing thru the soft nylon crosses however, its a whole nuther deal.

Hunting for one string that meets all of your needs is exhausting and seemingly futile at times. I've resigned myself too in a way. I've resigned myself to the notion that I will always have a few dif set ups in my bag at all times. Gut/Poly for my doubles play, Black Widow 18 for those days its clear my best chance of winning is bashing from the baseline, Full gut if I'm practicing 3-4 days in a row and need to be nice to my arm.

Jack

Doubles 11-05-2012 08:54 AM

Well, I've already committed to reels of both, so I'll try different tensions, but I'm committed to this for a while.

Power Player 11-05-2012 09:29 AM

I love poly mains and OGSM crosses. I think it will work great for you personally.

OGSM is the best cross for me due to the feel and control. Add to that, a reel is under $40. That opens me up to spend a little more on my poly mains.

Of course I am using a close patterned stick so it helps a lot with durability.

Larrysümmers 11-05-2012 09:43 AM

i used polylon and nylon in a 14*18 mid for a while. not as bad as people think.

Darkhors 11-05-2012 09:51 AM

I used Iontec in the mains and OGSM in the crosses for a long time until I finally tried Beast XP at 38lbs (in a prestige pro). It was the best change I've made and I actually get more consistent playing time out of it than I did with the poly/syn combo. Granted, it's a little bit more expensive but I'm not restringing every week anymore. I'm able to hit for about 3 weeks (twice a week) with one racquet before I have to think about restringing.

You should definitely try it out. Between the comfort, control and feel, it's almost a no brainer.

Good luck,

DH

fortun8son 11-05-2012 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChicagoJack (Post 6995644)
When those stiff poly mains start sawing thru the soft nylon crosses however, its a whole nuther deal.

It's actually more likely that the OGSM will cut through the Black Magic.
BM is so soft that it probably started notching just from weaving the crosses.

ushynoti 11-05-2012 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Player (Post 6996249)
I love poly mains and OGSM crosses. I think it will work great for you personally.

OGSM is the best cross for me due to the feel and control. Add to that, a reel is under $40. That opens me up to spend a little more on my poly mains.

Of course I am using a close patterned stick so it helps a lot with durability.

I have played with OGSM in the mains and poly crosses, how does the reverse differ in feel? I am using the Federer stick.

Power Player 11-05-2012 10:51 AM

Its a little stiffer, but the control is awesome. Excellent ball feel if you like the feel of a crisper syngut.

pvaudio 11-05-2012 11:07 AM

As I said in my thread, I know what I like. It just took me being stupid to realize that the first great string I tested two years ago turned out to be the greatest string I've ever used. I play best with it because it feels right to ME, and simply play differently with other strings. By play I don't mean I play worse or better tennis, just that the feel is not what I'm looking for.

ChicagoJack 11-05-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fortun8son (Post 6996370)
It's actually more likely that the OGSM will cut through the Black Magic.
BM is so soft that it probably started notching just from weaving the crosses.

Huh, imagine that. If it's that kind of a soft poly, me now thinks Black Magic might be awesome to use as cross with gut mains.

-Jack

fortun8son 11-05-2012 12:02 PM

It's a surface softness.
I got a sample set from USRSA and tried stringing it in the mains with Head PPS 17 crosses.
I was not impressed with the visible notching while stringing it.
PPS is a bit rough. OGSM may have been a better choice.
I hear it plays well, though. (at least in fullbed)

Steve Huff 11-05-2012 04:19 PM

Have you tried Zyex yet?

Doubles 11-06-2012 07:45 AM

Zyex? No, though I've heard some good things about it.

Doubles 11-07-2012 08:45 PM

6 hours in and my strings are holding up relatively well, I might get another two-ish hours out of them. I'm also going to try Syn gut mains, Black Magic crosses at 53-51, and then full black magic at 42-44 after this to see which set up I prefer the most.

2ManyAces 11-08-2012 04:44 AM

I will be going from full poly to ogsm crosses and poly now. I am excited to see how it plays. The thing I hated about full poly was the trampoline-ish feel when it died after 6 hours.

sundaypunch 11-08-2012 05:41 AM

I also love the poly / OGSM combo. I recently tried Forten Sweet as a cross instead of OGSM. Soooooo nice if you like a softer, plush feel. I am now getting all of the things I liked about a full poly setup, but with a less harsh feel and cheaper price.

Power Player 11-08-2012 05:53 AM

Agree..the 4g/ogsm setup I am testing out is killer. Im going to throw some cyberflash/ogsm in my other stick at the same tension just to do a little compare and contrast.