Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Junior League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Maybe our USTA 12s aren't so bad (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=444888)

BirdieLane 11-05-2012 06:08 AM

Maybe our USTA 12s aren't so bad

See this recap:
http://tenniskalamazoo.blogspot.com/...k-against.html

Claire was one of the 12-year-olds our current recluse TCF, slammed for style and technique. (But actually, her style and technique are both fantastic)....And now here she is winning matches vs a major D1 college player.

Interesting also about 12 yo Claire's comment about encountering moon balls from the college player, "She'd rally a little bit and then start moonballing. When I usually play, nobody really moonballs anymore." Claire and AbbyD had a recent 3 set war in the Nike finals that I'll tell you, did not feature any moonballs. Both girls hit aggressively and move forward at every opportunity.

And a hat tip to Brooke Austin who won the event, becoming the first Junior to do so!

And it goes a lot deeper than these three. There are a lot of tough players playing USTA events at every age group in both boys and girls.

ga tennis 11-05-2012 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BirdieLane (Post 6995770)
See this recap:

Claire was one of the 12-year-olds our current recluse TCF, slammed for style and technique. (But actually, her style and technique are both fantastic)....And now here she is winning matches vs a major D1 college player.

Interesting also about 12 yo Claire's comment about encountering moon balls from the college player, "She'd rally a little bit and then start moonballing. When I usually play, nobody really moonballs anymore." Claire and AbbyD had a recent 3 set war in the Nike finals that I'll tell you, did not feature any moonballs. Both girls hit aggressively and move forward at every opportunity.

And a hat tip to Brooke Austin who won the event, becoming the first Junior to do so!

And it goes a lot deeper than these three. There are a lot of tough players playing USTA events at every age group in both boys and girls.

I agree in Georgia we have some really good under 12s girls. I dont see many kids hitting moonballs in the 12s division.I do see alot of BAD technique but not hardly any moonballs.As far as picking any one to make it no one knows. At 12 its just way too early to have a clue what they will be at 18 when it matters.

rgwarren 11-05-2012 11:30 AM

Looks like both Claire Liu and Abby D will be playing at the Nike International at Club Med in about a month against best 12 yr olds in the world that should be a good measuring stick to see how they do. Where's TCF? He never got back to us on the match between his daughter and AD.

Bash and Crash 11-05-2012 01:00 PM

Says a lot about our up and coming players, and not so much about our current and incoming crop of college players. May be just me, but a top D1 recruit should not lose to a 12yr old, but hey maybe this next crop is strong and that is good to see.

Soianka 11-05-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BirdieLane (Post 6995770)
See this recap:

That sounds impressive but I'm sure TCF's 7 year old daughter could beat Claire and the D1 college player.

jigglypuff 11-05-2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgwarren (Post 6996549)
Looks like both Claire Liu and Abby D will be playing at the Nike International at Club Med in about a month against best 12 yr olds in the world that should be a good measuring stick to see how they do. Where's TCF? He never got back to us on the match between his daughter and AD.

Do these girls homeschool?

t135 11-05-2012 04:59 PM

Clearly those particular "D1" players aren't very high level tennis players. And the 12 year olds are.

lala28m 11-05-2012 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soianka (Post 6996928)
That sounds impressive but I'm sure TCF's 7 year old daughter could beat Claire and the D1 college player.

Hahaha. Duh.

hound 109 11-06-2012 07:20 PM

Good win for this talented 12 y/o. (especially the way she won it)

Pretty embarrasing for the UofW coach. Goes all the way to Indonesia to recruit a player who doesn't have enough game to beat a 12 year old girl. I bet UofW could have recruited an American 5 star (or even 4 star) player who wouldn't have choked against a player 6 years her junior.

I've watched Claire win (& lose) in two different matches. She's fabulous. But no way an 18 y/o with game should lose to her. It's nuts to have scholarships going to underperforming non-americans. UofW should be ashamed of itself.

jigglypuff 11-06-2012 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hound 109 (Post 6999553)
Good win for this talented 12 y/o. (especially the way she won it)

Pretty embarrasing for the UofW coach. Goes all the way to Indonesia to recruit a player who doesn't have enough game to beat a 12 year old girl. I bet UofW could have recruited an American 5 star (or even 4 star) player who wouldn't have choked against a player 6 years her junior.

I've watched Claire win (& lose) in two different matches. She's fabulous. But no way an 18 y/o with game should lose to her. It's nuts to have scholarships going to underperforming non-americans. UofW should be ashamed of itself.

Check the draw... lots of underperforming Americans losing to the USTA juniors too. And besides, how do you know if the girl from Indonesia took a scholarship or not?

hound 109 11-06-2012 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jigglypuff (Post 6999567)
Check the draw... lots of underperforming Americans losing to the USTA juniors too. And besides, how do you know if the girl from Indonesia took a scholarship or not?

The other Juniors appeared to be older & bigger. (big difference between a 12 y/o phenom & a 15 y/o phenom imo.)

Did any other Div 1 players lose to a 12 y/o Junior? (honestly, I don't recongize all the players, if an American College player lost to a 12 y/o, i stand corrected.)

I don't know If the non-american representing U of Washington who lost to a 12 y/o girl.... is getting a scholarship or not.

jigglypuff 11-06-2012 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hound 109 (Post 6999599)
The other Juniors appeared to be older & bigger. (big difference between a 12 y/o phenom & a 15 y/o phenom imo.)

Did any other Div 1 players lose to a 12 y/o Junior? (honestly, I don't recongize all the players, if an American College player lost to a 12 y/o, i stand corrected.)

I don't know If the non-american representing U of Washington who lost to a 12 y/o girl.... is getting a scholarship or not.

There's no need to knock the college players. 14 year old Stefan Kozlov would probably decimate most top D1 men players, but does that mean those D1 players are undeserving of their scholarships?

hound 109 11-06-2012 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jigglypuff (Post 6999608)
There's no need to knock the college players. 14 year old Stefan Kozlov would probably decimate most top D1 men players, but does that mean those D1 players are undeserving of their scholarships?

Kozlov is one of the top 5 U18s in the country. He could & would beat alot of college players. (Lui is not one of the top 5 U18 girls, although she IS one of the top 3 U12s girls)

I'm not knocking the player. I'm knocking the UofW & the UofW coach who went half way around the world to recruit a player who can't beat a 12 y/o.

So is she on scholarship or not?

Alohajrtennis 11-06-2012 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hound 109 (Post 6999637)
Kozlov is one of the top 5 U18s in the country. He could & would beat alot of college players. (Lui is not one of the top 5 U18 girls, although she IS one of the top 3 U12s girls)

I'm not knocking the player. I'm knocking the UofW & the UofW coach who went half way around the world to recruit a player who can't beat a 12 y/o.

So is she on scholarship or not?

See this thread in the college section :

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=422737

The women's coach at UW, Jill Hultquist, did an interview where she basically said if she couldn't recruit a top 20 blue chip she had to go international because her conference was so competitive..to summarize my postings, I thought this was bovine excrement...i think I was right. No disrespect to Claire, but this is fairly ridiculous, and a great illustration of why too many coaches are going abroad too soon.

WARPWOODIE 11-07-2012 06:39 AM

I still hold to my belief that overseas recruitments are basically junkets for these coaches, plain and simple. C'mon, U of W is a PAC 12 school....don't tell me that they can't pick up blue chips or high 5 stars? :( That is really hard to believe.

kme5150 11-07-2012 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jigglypuff (Post 6999567)
And besides, how do you know if the girl from Indonesia took a scholarship or not?

She played in all 4 junior slams and was ranked in the top 32 in the ITF juniors. Do you seriously think that she isn't on scholarship? She is on a team that is ranked 49 nationally and second from the bottom in the Pac 12.

Tennishacker 11-07-2012 08:49 AM

American juniors do well in the younger international tournaments because the parents/coaches focus on winning, while the focus of foreign players is to work on the total development of their game.

Alohajrtennis 11-07-2012 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WARPWOODIE (Post 7000214)
I still hold to my belief that overseas recruitments are basically junkets for these coaches, plain and simple. C'mon, U of W is a PAC 12 school....don't tell me that they can't pick up blue chips or high 5 stars? :( That is really hard to believe.

The Udub coach not interested in American 5 stars, not good enough for her. Only blue chips in the top 20,30. Seems like she make a perfunctory effort to recruit Americans for appearance sake though:

From her interview "It's hard to rebuild a team if you lose the top 20, 30 American players to the traditional powerhouse programmes each year."

Sensitive to the ongoing debate, she picks a few select American players each year and offers them scholarships first. If they don't take them she goes international. "

This is a team that will never be a contender in that division with her as coach.

Alohajrtennis 11-07-2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kme5150 (Post 7000475)
She played in all 4 junior slams and was ranked in the top 32 in the ITF juniors. Do you seriously think that she isn't on scholarship? She is on a team that is ranked 49 nationally and second from the bottom in the Pac 12.

She played all four slams and was only ranked 32 ? I suspect she did not do to well in those slams then. Seems like she comes from a family with big money, ITF point chaser.

Tennishacker 11-07-2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WARPWOODIE (Post 7000214)

Common knowledge that trips abroad paid by foreign recruiting services.

Whats passed under the table, who knows.