Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   How to deal with side spin? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=444904)

sureshs 11-05-2012 08:33 AM

How to deal with side spin?

Give me some tips

Power Player 11-05-2012 08:36 AM

Its all footwork and prep. I wipe more across the ball against guys with bad footwork and get free points from it. The good players adjust by being ready and just making a few small steps to the side.

LeeD 11-05-2012 08:37 AM

That's usually the skidding, low bouncing shot, so stand in, set early, stroke thru the ball, imparting less topspin than usual, since the incoming sidespun ball is bouncing lower.
That's why it's used as an approach shot, with some underspin.

sureshs 11-05-2012 08:37 AM

No hitting change? Racket angle, trajectory, etc.?

LeeD 11-05-2012 08:38 AM

"stroke thru the ball", not brush up the back.

sureshs 11-05-2012 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 6996155)
That's usually the skidding, low bouncing shot, so stand in, set early, stroke thru the ball, imparting less topspin than usual, since the incoming sidespun ball is bouncing lower.
That's why it's used as an approach shot, with some underspin.

I don't have a problem with sliced side spin. In fact, I return them with sliced side spin or topspin. I should have clarified.

It is the topspin-sidespin combination I am talking about.

Power Player 11-05-2012 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 6996156)
No hitting change? Racket angle, trajectory, etc.?

Not for me. I hit with a fair amount of slicers.

The one key is when people say "follow the ball", the main thing is to bend your knees and get low with lower sliced/sidespin balls. The whole sit and lift thing basically.

If you prep early, and are ready, when you get low by bending your knees, you can many times attack slices that are not hit perfectly. The slice is a tough shot to hit skidding and low every time, so once you start to punish a slicer, it really gets in their head and gets you more sitters.

The same goes for topspin/side. Its all prep. at the highest levels it can be very tricky to time out for the first few games.

If you want to be real interested in how heavy heavy spin affects pros, watch a guy play Nadal for the first time. I have seen matches like this and usually the first set is the opponent basically just trying to get the timing. By set 2, they have the timing, but it is too late to recover.

LeeD 11-05-2012 08:42 AM

Nobody I know has problems with top/slice combo's, as that's the normal high ball shot hit to you.
Play it just like a topspin shot, since it's up in your strikezone.

NLBwell 11-05-2012 08:50 AM

What LeeD said, except you have to be more alert in anticipating it and keep your feet moving since how the sidespin takes off the court may vary.

Power Player 11-05-2012 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 6996168)
Nobody I know has problems with top/slice combo's, as that's the normal high ball shot hit to you.
Play it just like a topspin shot, since it's up in your strikezone.

I watched an open level player hit with Sam Stosur and he struggled with it. I have video. You can hear the coach even say how hard it is to deal with the bounce at around :26.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkEWx...9&feature=plcp

LeeD 11-05-2012 09:06 AM

I would think most open players see top with side component all the time. After all, almost every topspin shot not hit from chest high would have to have some sidespin added to the topspin. Shell shocked, more likely, like that Canadian open player hitting with Nalbandian.
But overall, a sidespin component changes the way the ball goes thru the air, compared to topspin or flat. The ball slides deeper than expected, and upon bounce, can skidd slightly, then deadball thru the air dropping sooner than it should.
Just gotta play against JimmyConnors to know.

Power Player 11-05-2012 09:10 AM

Once again the video speaks for itself.

LeeD 11-05-2012 09:15 AM

What I see from that video...
Stosur is hitting with LeeD. LeeD is so shell shocked, he can't hit the ball even once with his strings, so uses the handle and the tip of the racket frame. Looks like he even uses his buttcap, for that wide shot.

Power Player 11-05-2012 09:25 AM

Lee that player is 1,000 times better than you on your best day. Get over yourself for once.

sureshs 11-05-2012 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Player (Post 6996242)
Lee that player is 1,000 times better than you on your best day. Get over yourself for once.

hehehe LeeD things facing Fed or Nadal's side spin is like playing with his friends

Power Player 11-05-2012 09:53 AM

Yeah and the funny thing is that I am showing a WTA player hitting with a male open level practice partner who is struggling with her side spin.

Also you can really see how hard she wipes across the ball in that video. She really has exceptional groundstrokes in person.

LeeD 11-05-2012 09:54 AM

PowerPlayer, I see why we can't get along....
You have no humor whatsoever. You are an engineer, or scientist type.
I'm an artist.
How many times do I have to post that I am a bad 4.0 singles player?
And how many times do I have to post that in the past, I've hit with CeciMartinez, PeanutLouie, MarcieLouie, SusanBrown, and DanaGilbert? Along with a handful of former No1 singles UCBerkeley women's team players?
And short hits, not practice, with IllanaKloss and RosieCasals?
I can hit 10 balls the same as the guy hitting with Stosur you posted. I can miss 7, hit 2 short, and shank one into the player's bench.

Power Player 11-05-2012 09:56 AM

Leed the reason we don't get along is you are often wrong in your assumptions, yet act like you have it all figured out.

I made a career out of being an artist. Im not close being a scientist in any way. You just post all the time and argue all the time, trying to be right on every thread.

there is no way in your current state you would even be allowed on the court with Stosur. Nothing personal, but you would look foolish.

boramiNYC 11-05-2012 10:02 AM

once you get a good idea how your swing is, continue to try to improve it. this means none of your joints in the kinetic chain are near the limit but are in the middle of their sweet spot. and it's better if each of those joints has good range of motion. this helps enlarging the contact zone sweet spot. when this is too small it's like using a very small head racquet.

LeeD 11-05-2012 10:06 AM

Funny you should mention that just now, PowerPlayer.
Day before yesterday, was hitting the wall at SanPablo and who should ask me to hit for a "little while" was the local 5.0 guy, who plays A/Opens and does OK. We hit for maybe 25 minutes until his partner showed, and I had to pick up the g/f. He volunteered.."thanks, let's do it again maybe next week"..
My reply was, "thanks, but I have no business hitting with you".