Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Any tip to hit forehand stroke to out in front (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=444926)

mongting 11-05-2012 11:52 AM

Any tip to hit forehand stroke to out in front

I can hit the ball to the corner of ad-court side. But having hard time sending the ball to the corner of deuce-court.
I think I am hitting the ball too back. Maybe at my waist point. I am trying to hit before the ball gets to the waist line. But it is not easy to change the habit.

Any tips could you suggest to improve this?

Avles 11-05-2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongting (Post 6996621)
I can hit the ball to the corner of ad-court side. But having hard time sending the ball to the corner of deuce-court.
I think I am hitting the ball too back. Maybe at my waist point. I am trying to hit before the ball gets to the waist line. But it is not easy to change the habit.

Any tips could you suggest to improve this?

Can't find the video, but if I remember right, Coach Mauro from the Tennis Vault site recommends using self-feeds to work on the contact point-- you bounce the ball a bit out in front of yourself to get used to hitting it there.

LeeD 11-05-2012 01:40 PM

Self feeds for sure, don't need a video.
Just remember to stand off to your deuce court, then hitting CC over to the opponent's duece court. Practice from different points along your baseline.

TennisCJC 11-08-2012 11:43 AM

Think hit the lower outside of the ball and pull the racket head up, thru and across toward the CC corner before it wraps into your followthru. Visualize dividing the ball into 4 quadrants: Upper R, Upper L, Lower R, and Lower L. A right handed tennis player hitting a topspin CC forehand wants to think of hitting the lower R quadrant (lower outside of ball) and pulling the racket head up and across toward the CC corner from there.

In reality, if you use a slightly closed racket face for topspin as you should, the first contact between racket and ball will be on the outside of the ball but it may not really be on the lower outside. Think about it - it is hard (maybe impossible) to really contact the lower half of the ball if your strings are slightly closed. But, it is still a good visualization technique.

86golf 11-09-2012 03:10 AM

Watch this video. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=psgfJQsgGqY

As the poster above noted, you need to focus on hitting the outside of the ball. You can do this without hitting way out in front, but rather pulling the racquet handle through and making contact slightly past your sternum and be sure to not over rotate your shoulders too soon. That said , you need to be sure you have a good shoulder turn back so you can create the acceleration for your arm to come around. Watch the video and compare it to what you are doing currently.

5263 11-09-2012 09:34 AM

In the book "Design B",
he suggests imagining there the a plane of glass just in front of you that you
use your racket to never allow the ball to reach.
I guess the idea is this is special glass you can swing the racket thru, but
none the less, protecting that plane of glass in front of you can help.

anubis 11-12-2012 06:42 AM

You need earlier shot preparation, and don't wait for the ball to get to you before you start swinging.

for me, once the ball crosses the net, I've already taken my racquet back. Once the ball is about 10 feet in front of me, I'm already swinging.

By the time my racquet head is out in front of me, I'm contacting with the ball about 2 or so feet, or 2:00 on a clock face if I was standing right in the middle of a clock.

Most amateurs don't start swinging the racquet until the ball is practically on them, so their contact point is right on their side, completely lateral to their body. It's a big reason why many shots turn out to be pop flies instead of low over the net.