Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   I Was Passed High Speed By A Chevy Volt (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=444981)

stringertom 11-06-2012 03:56 AM

I Was Passed High Speed By A Chevy Volt
 
Driving home yesterday at my typical 5-10 MPH over interstate speed limit, I was passed effortlessly and VERY quietly by a Chevy Volt. I had yet to see one on a street so I tried to catch up but failed. It looked sharp...a dark blue almost purple color and the 5-door hatchback looks very practical.

Anyone here own one yet or know somebody that has "plugged in"?
I read all the details on price vs gas savings (pays for itself in 8 years with my type of commute). I'm more interested in if it has some "guts".

El Diablo 11-06-2012 04:39 AM

Electric motors have maximum torque regardless of current RPM, so passing shouldn't be a problem. Whether it pays for itself over time depends on how you factor in its roughly 40,000 price.

db10s 11-06-2012 04:50 AM

Well it isn't a bad deal considering it costs Government Motors more to produce it than they sell it for.

hollywood9826 11-06-2012 05:42 AM

A few people I know around here have gone over a months without filling the tank up. I know one person who has had for 3 motnhs and ahsnt put one gallon of gas inthe car. They drive it 8 miles to work and back. maybe stop at the grocery store. They say if you keep it under 40 miles a day you dont use any gas. I didnt ask how it affected electric bill though. Probably a little hit but not much I would imagine.

ollinger 11-06-2012 05:58 AM

^^ "not much"!! Are you joking? One horsepower is about 746 watts, and we'll assume perhaps 150 horsepower in this vehicle, with about 3500 pounds needing to be moved. Do the math. The energy cost would not be trivial.

chrischris 11-06-2012 06:16 AM

When i was in Europe last week we tested an electric car for the 1st time.
They have them for rent and they are powered by solar energy at least in Denmark/Sweden.We booked and picked up + payed via cell phone.Got a code and the location in the town center and just went there and drove with it, the car park had 6 or 7 cars at that particular spot.
It was quite awesome. Total silence and smoothness.
Nissan Leaf was our choice and ride .


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeXFq2OF_jA

The future is electric.

krz 11-06-2012 06:21 AM

I don't think these type electric plug in cars will really catch on, not with the time it takes to recharge.

The Honda Clarity could be the most important car we've seen since the Model T. Even though nat gas is still predominately used, there are other ways to produce hydrogen fuel without producing CO2.

chrischris 11-06-2012 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krz (Post 6998052)
I don't think these type electric plug in cars will really catch on, not with the time it takes to recharge.

The Honda Clarity could be the most important car we've seen since the Model T. Even though nat gas is still predominately used, there are other ways to produce hydrogen fuel without producing CO2.


With the we tried you dont have that problem. So it is a winner compared to the Volt.
Summary:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfjzX...eature=related

chrischris 11-06-2012 06:24 AM

Topped the battery is good for 200km. Battery stations are set up, looking like car wash booths, they need under a minute to change battery at.
You simply drive in get a new load of a new powered battery and you are off again.

Thats about 4 times faster than your average gas pump time.
Faster and cheaper.

Chevy Volt arent as good yet.

ollinger 11-06-2012 06:34 AM

Whether electric cars catch on is unclear as yet, but if they do, we'll have another major problem to deal with. The electricity generating grid is already overstressed and new generation plants aren't being built nearly quickly enough to keep up with demand, so we have brownouts and blackouts in hot weather already.

mikeler 11-06-2012 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrischris (Post 6998029)
When i was in Europe last week we tested an electric car for the 1st time.
They have them for rent and they are powered by solar energy at least in Denmark/Sweden.We booked and picked up + payed via cell phone.Got a code and the location in the town center and just went there and drove with it, the car park had 6 or 7 cars at that particular spot.
It was quite awesome. Total silence and smoothness.
Nissan Leaf was our choice and ride .


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeXFq2OF_jA

The future is electric.

With the sun so low in the sky in Denmark/Sweden this time of year, I'm surprised they can generate the kind of power needed.

Fearsome Forehand 11-06-2012 06:42 AM

Was it on fire? :)

They should call it the Chevrolet Subsidy. :)

If a certain someone gets his way and electricity quadruples in price, the economics might change significantly. As well, the batteries need to be replaced at some point which costs several thousands of dollars. As well, the battery disposal probably isn't so great for the environment.

Not sure of the car's top speed while electric; it is possible the car that passed you was running its gasoline engine at that time?

chrischris 11-06-2012 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 6998098)
With the sun so low in the sky in Denmark/Sweden this time of year, I'm surprised they can generate the kind of power needed.

So were we.
It works despite what one could assume, otherwise they wouldnt do it in the first place.

chrischris 11-06-2012 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearsome Forehand (Post 6998105)
Was it on fire? :)

They should call it the Chevrolet Subsidy. :)

If a certain someone gets his way and electricity quadruples in price, the economics might change significantly. As well, the batteries need to be replaced at some point which costs several thousands of dollars. As well, the battery disposal probably isn't so great for the environment.

Not sure of the car's top speed while electric; it is possible the car that passed you was running its gasoline engine at that time?



Any big change needs inital investment.

The cost of gas isnt entirely without subsidy either.

chrischris 11-06-2012 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 6998098)
With the sun so low in the sky in Denmark/Sweden this time of year, I'm surprised they can generate the kind of power needed.

Oh the Germans... :
In Germany they have car companies doing electic cars now that have a 450km range on a toped up battery. Lithium Polymer battery , lightweight and small so called Kolibri batteries. You dont lose baggage. Not bad .

chrischris 11-06-2012 07:10 AM

The German idea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWI1ZpcvjZs

chrischris 11-06-2012 07:16 AM

If we dont adapt to smarter cars and use innovation to propel the economy by manufacture here at home we may have to close Detroit in the future for good.

The Volt vs Leaf vs German Audi says a lot already.

chrischris 11-06-2012 07:31 AM

The French/Japanes /Israel idea.
Agassi like it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR3oL...eature=related

bad_call 11-06-2012 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrischris (Post 6998150)

thanks for posting. those Germans are a bright bunch. :)

chrischris 11-06-2012 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bad_call (Post 6998191)
thanks for posting. those Germans are a bright bunch. :)

Did you like that one? Is it better than the Israel/Japan /French offering in your view?


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse