Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Fixed Clamps (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=445041)

Topspin101 11-06-2012 03:11 PM

Fixed Clamps

I have a KlipperMate basic and love the darn thing. Their next model up offers fixed clamps. Do fixed clamps make a big difference in stringing time?

Thanks/Don

Topspin101 11-07-2012 03:55 PM

Really dumb question?

struggle 11-07-2012 04:41 PM

yes, they speed things up (generally, some will say otherwise...). i wouldn't upgrade to another k-mate with fixed clamps though, if that's what you are suggesting.

MAX PLY 11-07-2012 05:22 PM

It sounds like you are generally just stringing for yourself and like the klipper just fine. If that is true, then think about keeping what you have. I think, however, you would find an upgraded (i.e., fixed clamps) a definite and speedier improvement. That said and assuming you want something in a comparable price range to the Klipper 440-CS, my personal belief is that Gamma or Alpha may offer a superior value (as compared to the 440)in that range. Good luck.

anubis 11-07-2012 06:49 PM

better clamps help in general, regardless whether they are fixed or floating. it helps with consistency and quality.

I have Stringway dual clamps and they are a breeeeze. I have no desire for fixed clamps at this time.

Ramon 11-07-2012 08:20 PM

There are several advantages of fixed clamps:

Job Quality - The strings won't lose as much tension. Fixed clamps are anchored to a solid base, so they move less. Also, when you work with strings that are far apart, like the outermost strings, you won't lose tension because you don't have to squeeze the strings together.

Versatility - One-piece and ATW patterns are much easier with fixed clamps. Certain other techniques, like JET, require either fixed clamps or special tools like triple floating clamps. You can still keep your floating clamps and use them on a fixed clamp machine when you need extra clamps, but you can't use fixed clamps on a floating clamp machine.

Speed and Convenience - They are easier and quicker to use, but honestly, that's the least of their benefits.

I agree that Gamma and Alpha have great entry level fixed clamp machines.

Topspin101 11-08-2012 02:41 PM

Thank you all for the advice.

jxs653 11-09-2012 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramon (Post 7001635)
when you work with strings that are far apart, like the outermost strings, you won't lose tension because you don't have to squeeze the strings together.

The above one is the biggest reason I wish I had fix clamp machine. I've been using my Klippermate for over 12 years and I always get consistent tension so I don't have any issue about tension loss or anything.

Topspin101 11-10-2012 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jxs653 (Post 7004316)
The above one is the biggest reason I wish I had fix clamp machine. I've been using my Klippermate for over 12 years and I always get consistent tension so I don't have any issue about tension loss or anything.

Curious. Has the KlipperMate changed any in the past 12 years?