Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   first match ever ! Nervous ! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=445062)

bigant2984 11-06-2012 08:51 PM

first match ever ! Nervous !

so thursday will be my first league match ever, i am super nervous cause my serve is very inconsistent, i hope my opponent doesn't get frustrated with me if i'm not getting the ball over every time, i don't want to lose just from faults, i understand that were there to play, what can i do to prepare myself with this serve ? i'm in NYC so its a little to cold to go out a try serving,but i just might have to.

Larrysümmers 11-06-2012 09:06 PM

how long you been playing for?

TomT 11-06-2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigant2984 (Post 6999574)
so thursday will be my first league match ever, i am super nervous cause my serve is very inconsistent, i hope my opponent doesn't get frustrated with me if i'm not getting the ball over every time, i don't want to lose just from faults, i understand that were there to play, what can i do to prepare myself with this serve ? i'm in NYC so its a little to cold to go out a try serving,but i just might have to.

Just relax and have fun playing the game. Nobody else gives a **** whether you win or lose, so why should you? :) Deep breaths, relax between points, relax when you stroke your shots. Drink lots of water. Make honest line calls. Treat your opponent with respect. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.

It's a wonderful hobby. Don't overly complicate it. Just a humble opinion from somebody who's thankful to be able to get out on the court and compete at any level.

Hey, even I win a match sometimes. :)

By the way, it just occurred to me that the Tennis League Network is in your (NYC) area. Check it out.

Larrysümmers 11-06-2012 09:24 PM

Its all about falling back on your training

SoBad 11-06-2012 09:26 PM

Quote:

It'll probably snow tomorrow night and your match could get cancelled. Don't get yourself a heart attack over a league match that got cancelled...:lol:

Sumo 11-06-2012 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomT (Post 6999621)
Just relax and have fun playing the game. Nobody else gives a **** whether you win or lose, so why should you? :) Deep breaths, relax between points, relax when you stroke your shots. Drink lots of water. Make honest line calls. Treat your opponent with respect. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.

It's a wonderful hobby. Don't overly complicate it. Just a humble opinion from somebody who's thankful to be able to get out on the court and compete at any level.

By the way, it just occurred to me that the Tennis League Network is in your (NYC) area. Check it out.

Perfectly said.

Stay as loose as possible and have fun.

TomT 11-06-2012 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sumo (Post 6999636)
Perfectly said.

Stay as loose as possible and have fun.

Thanks. Chapel Hill? Carolinas? Gettin' cold now? Come to Florida. :) It's absolutely beautiful this time of year. Great tennis weather.

bigant2984 11-06-2012 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomT (Post 6999621)

thanks for the input its really appreciated, yeah respect is No.1 in my book

bigant2984 11-06-2012 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larrysümmers (Post 6999596)
how long you been playing for?

i want to say 2yrs but its def not a solid 2yrs, 2 summers sounds better, my instructor says im 3.0 to 3.5 , i get to play more in the summer cause its free some places, i don't get to play much in the winter cause court times are really $$ in the winter, but i do my best to try and get out there !

TomT 11-06-2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigant2984 (Post 6999667)
i want to say 2yrs but its def not a solid 2yrs, 2 summers sounds better, my instructor says im 3.0 to 3.5 , i get to play more in the summer cause its free some places, i don't get to play much in the winter cause court times are really $$ in the winter, but i do my best to try and get out there !

Move to the southeast Florida coast. :) I was in Connecticut and New York for more than 20 years. I liked it there, but not nearly as much as I like Fort Lauderdale.

NTRPolice 11-06-2012 10:10 PM

You will be nervous. If you train yourself to handle it you'll find it gets easier and easier as you go along. I've seen a 3.5 guy double fault 4 times in a row at the first server in a playoff match. That's an extreme, but it happens.

It was all nerves.

Guy was 30-ish, not looking into the sun, wind not really a factor. The guy just couldnt get the ball in trying to make a decent swing.

tennis tom 11-06-2012 10:59 PM

Quote:

...i hope my opponent doesn't get frustrated with me if i'm not getting the ball over every time, i don't want to lose just from faults...

...what can i do to prepare myself with this serve ?

Your opponent will be VERY happy to get as many free points as you will give him.

You can take shadow swings in your house. It may be better then hitting an actual ball because it will groove your stroke without any hitches.

G'luck!

IA-SteveB 11-07-2012 11:08 AM

I agree with what the others have said. Don't let your mind try to do too much. I thought I would be nervous in my first USTA experience this year, but I wasn't at all. Once I stepped onto the court, all was good for some reason. Some of my nervousness may be due to the opponent I might be playing. I think if I played an uptight tennis wacko, I would probably be a little nervous but if it is a normal person, I don't seem to have a problem. Weird, I know.

One tip is, don't worry about what observers think about you. I used to. You can't help but wonder if people in the crowd are thinking "What a crappy shot ... this guys sucks." Get that out of your mind and play your game.

slowfox 11-07-2012 12:51 PM

Hey bigant, if you ever want to practice serves with someone returning, let me know. I'm in the area. Also I know some places to play in winter.

As for your match, like others have said. Have fun. Enjoy. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Sakkijarvi 11-07-2012 02:04 PM

Cleansing breaths when you are about to serve, that's my advice.

And good luck, enjoy!

bigant2984 11-07-2012 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowfox (Post 7000880)
Hey bigant, if you ever want to practice serves with someone returning, let me know. I'm in the area. Also I know some places to play in winter.

As for your match, like others have said. Have fun. Enjoy. Don't sweat the small stuff.

wow that would be awesome , i had my really good friend but i lost him to wall street, he missies the game but just have the time,

heres my email anthonymancini29@gmail.com throw me a shout i always want to play, and to get out there with some one would be great !

misery 11-07-2012 05:40 PM

You will undoubtedly be nervous, so to counteract that, focus on hitting everything cross court. It gives you the largest margin for error.

Don't focus on hitting winners, just stay steady and hit cross court. If you get a short ball, don't try to hit a winner. Hit a sensible approach shot towards a corner, slice it if you have to.

At your level it's all about getting the ball back and being steady.

Have fun, let us know how it goes.

gmatheis 11-08-2012 03:19 AM

Good luck today!

Remember to keep your eye on the ball until well after you have hit it, if you are too concerned with where your opponents are or where your shot is going the mishits will add up quick.

tennis tom 11-08-2012 07:01 AM

Resist the temptation to jump over the net until the match is over and only to shake hands.

G'luck!

jaybear1909 11-08-2012 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis tom (Post 7002136)
Resist the temptation to jump over the net until the match is over and only to shake hands.

G'luck!

You dog.

Sometimes this is hard to resist :twisted: