Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Why I'm Not Watching The Hobbit movie (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=445090)

max 11-07-2012 05:50 AM

Why I'm Not Watching The Hobbit movie

Pretty simple. It's such a powerfully well-written book that for me, a movie will just throw lesser images in my mind. That's the power of reading, really, that you can imagine characters and settings that are highly particularized, and perhaps even grander, than a mere movie can do.

The movie would wreck it for me.

westside 11-07-2012 05:54 AM

I feel as though many thought the same for Lord Of The Rings and Harry Potter.

ollinger 11-07-2012 07:08 AM

This is a sign of great character and integrity.

r2473 11-07-2012 07:16 AM

I was going to start a thread about why I'm not reading War and Peace, but the reason is not quite as noble.......

Kevin T 11-07-2012 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by max (Post 7000094)
Pretty simple. It's such a powerfully well-written book that for me, a movie will just throw lesser images in my mind. That's the power of reading, really, that you can imagine characters and settings that are highly particularized, and perhaps even grander, than a mere movie can do.

I'm having this issue with the 'Game of Thrones' TV series, though I must confess the producers have done a fantastic job to this point. I'm excited to see 'The Hobbit' because Peter Jackson exceeded my expecations with TLOR trilogy.

Power Player 11-07-2012 07:34 AM

Im going to see the hobbit because the cute girl I am dating wants to go and it's not a RomCom.

Pete.Sampras. 11-07-2012 09:37 AM

Isn't that always the case with books and movies?

Anyway, I understand your decision, especially if you have read the books already.

norbac 11-07-2012 10:01 AM

One of the first books I read and one of my favorites still. Though I'm not as excited as I probably should be (a trilogy, really?), I'll probably go and see it.

Power Player 11-07-2012 10:18 AM

The first lord of the rings series IMO did a great adaption of the book.

TahoeTennis 11-07-2012 10:57 AM

I loved the Hobbit cartoon as a kid, ftw.

max 11-07-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r2473 (Post 7000299)
I was going to start a thread about why I'm not reading War and Peace, but the reason is not quite as noble.......

Interesting you mention War and Peace. It was the one book I wanted to read for 2012 and I finished it a couple of days ago.

r2473 11-07-2012 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by max (Post 7000956)
Interesting you mention War and Peace. It was the one book I wanted to read for 2012 and I finished it a couple of days ago.

Was it worth the time and effort?

FWIW, I've read it twice over the past 5 years. Took me about 3 months each time. Well deserved of the title "greatest novel of all time".

If you are interested in a "screen version", this is FOR SURE the one to watch. I liked it so much I bought it (well, I copied it from the library actually):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_and...972_TV_series)

By the way, your decision to not watch the new Hobbit film is a good one IMO. But I'm not normally a fan of Hollywood versions of books. The BBC can often be counted on for "good" dramatizations.

If you like Shakespeare by the way, the BBC (released on Ambrose video) made THE DEFINITIVE collection (which I also copied from the library):

http://www.ambrosevideo.com/items.cf...TOKEN=80778860

quest01 11-07-2012 02:46 PM

I want to see The Hobbit but right now I'm looking forward to Skyfall.

Timbo's hopeless slice 11-07-2012 04:50 PM

hmm, I actually thought the LOTR movies did a brilliant job of realising the book(s), much better than I had expected.

It may have been because Jackson chose the elements of the story that most resonated with me and cut some of the things that had always annoyed me a bit
(Tom Bombadil and those damn songs, for example!)

Personally, I am looking forward to The Hobbit, but I do wonder how such a short(ish) book could possibly require two rather large movies to tell its tale..

(in a hole in the ground there lived an accountant?)

Moose Malloy 11-07-2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Personally, I am looking forward to The Hobbit, but I do wonder how such a short(ish) book could possibly require two rather large movies to tell its tale..
Its actually 3 rather largish movies, not 2. Which is my reason for not seeing it(would feel like I had 'sucker' written on my head afterwards. this trend of making multiple movies out of one book has to stop)

dParis 11-07-2012 06:48 PM

Quote:

You may be surprised, max. I felt the very same way about Lone Wolf McQuade, but I was rewarded for going against my judgment by witnessing an epic silver screen translation.

Dilettante 11-07-2012 07:35 PM

I read LOTR right before the first movie, just to go to the cinema knowing the original written material. Didn't enjoy the book really, I was often bored, but the movies were great adaptations. Better than the book in my opinion. I'm more into Sci Fi though.

"Game of thrones" is absolutely brilliant as a TV series. Don't know about the books, although I suppose they're very good from what I've heard.

But Tolkien is not my cup of tea.

Bobby Jr 11-07-2012 07:54 PM

Quote:

I know what you mean... Think of how suckfull The Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons where in relation to the book.

That said, LOTRs were widely lauded for how closely they following of the books - especially in how they represented things described visually in the books. Peter Jackson has apparently gone even further with The Hobbit in trying to match the tone/essence/setting of the book. They had so much detail and story to get through and followed the book so closely that it has been split into three films, not two as originally planned.

Bobby Jr 11-07-2012 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin T (Post 7000305)
I'm having this issue with the 'Game of Thrones' TV series, though I must confess the producers have done a fantastic job to this point...

It is fantastic TV for sure but the the issue I have with the Game of Thrones TV series is they skip over way too much detail so they can keep each book to a 10 episode series. The story has been skipping forward too much imo.

TopFH 11-07-2012 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby Jr (Post 7001604)
It is fantastic TV for sure but the the issue I have with the Game of Thrones TV series is they skip over way too much detail so they can keep each book to a 10 episode series. The story has been skipping forward too much imo.

I loved both seasons, but I had a couple of gripes as well. The first season was about 90%-95% in accordance with the first book, "A Game of Thrones". Season 2, based on "A Clash of Kings", had a couple of problems with pacing, and did not introduce important characters like the Reeds (They'll do this next season, missing much of Bran's character development). Daenerys took too long to get out of Qarth, whereas in the books, she covers a lot more ground.

Anyway, this is always the case with books and their silver-screen adaptations. Regarding GoT, I would have preferred 12-15 40 minute episodes to complete the story arc entirely. Still, I always enjoy reading the books and watching the films (Playing the games sometimes).