Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   I'm The Rudest Hooker! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=445153)

jaybear1909 11-07-2012 07:54 PM

I'm The Rudest Hooker!

Let me begin by saying I am by no means a hooker (ignore thread title). I call the ball as I see it fair (and more often than not give calls that I should have taken). So let's begin:

Tonight was the final mixed match for my girlfriend and me (thanks El Diablo). It was going to decide who won the division. We arrived at the HARD courts and they were still very damp from the rain earlier this afternoon. We just decided to play with it (really wasn't bad) and soon learned that the balls left really good marks in the water. Great, so no one could cheat. Right?

Everything went smooth up until 5-4. I was serving out the set. There had been some iffy calls made, but with the ball marks clearly showing, no one objected. We go up 40-15, 2 set points. We get in a rally and our opponents both are playing baseline (why, I do not know). My girlfriend gets a forehand and hits it right down the middle. Neither of the opponents went for it. I saw it hit very close, and the man called it out. I then proceeded to jump over the net (okay, I could have walked around) and asked nicely if they could show me the mark. I was smiling, and had no intentions of being rude. The woman about freaking died! Firstly, she showed me a mark that was WAY away from the mark he showed me. Then she proceeded to tell me how rude I was for not honoring their call.

Of course we started arguing a little. I just explained to her that I was confirming it was out, I was not dishonoring anyone's calls (granted I saw no mark out ;)). She smarted off about 100 times and we dished it back out. Next point, I served and it went wide. She says "Do you think that one was in??" My girlfriend said "I can see it was out, thanks!". Second serve, we get into a rally. I end up hitting a shot to the man's forehand and he hits it just wide. Me and my girlfriend both call this shot wide. They immediately think we're cheating. I showed him where the ball hit, but he wouldn't hear it.

Second set we were just trying to calm down. Went down 2-5, came back to 5-5 and then lost it. Third set went up 3-0, then 5-4, my serve again. Shi* hit the fan my friends! They called 2 let balls (both clearly in) and a baseline shot out. Neither of us argued. We called 2 of their shots out (I saw them both out, and we had marks to prove it) and they went nuts.

At this point I was aiming for heads (no I didn't hit any, just an expression). We ended up winning the third 6-4. They had no intention of shaking our hands. I walked over and stuck my hand out, only to get a blank stare. Finally the woman shook mine furiously, and proceeded to tell me I was a great player. Then she says that me jumping over the net in the first set was the rudest thing she's ever witnessed. I told her that no matter how I got around the net, that I could legally look for the mark. She asked what I would do had I found a mark in and I said, "If I found it in, I'd show you, and if you still proceeded to call the ball out that's your call."

Am I really in the wrong for jumping over the net? I just wanted to see the mark (it was a very important point). I never saw the mark, but didn't argue. Just was showing them that I wasn't afraid to object. Regardless of how I get over there, I feel it's legal to look for a mark.

In all honesty, I think she's just jealous because she can't jump over the net :shock:.

*And we won by the way

NLBwell 11-07-2012 08:01 PM

Oh, I won't say it.

jaybear1909 11-07-2012 08:03 PM

It gets more hits than "Cheater" :)

beernutz 11-07-2012 08:37 PM

LOL, you jumped over the net to look at a mark.

OrangePower 11-07-2012 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaybear1909 (Post 7001598)
Then she says that me jumping over the net in the first set was the rudest thing she's ever witnessed. I told her that no matter how I got around the net, that I could legally look for the mark. She asked what I would do had I found a mark in and I said, "If I found it in, I'd show you, and if you still proceeded to call the ball out that's your call."

Am I really in the wrong for jumping over the net? I just wanted to see the mark (it was a very important point). I never saw the mark, but didn't argue. Just was showing them that I wasn't afraid to object. Regardless of how I get over there, I feel it's legal to look for a mark.

You are wrong. You are not allowed to cross the net to go look for a mark. It's against the code whether you go around the net or jump over it, but IMO jumping over the net makes you seem like even more of a jerk.

What the rule actually says: If playing on a clay court and you call a close ball out, you are supposed to check the mark to verify. You can also ask your opponents to check the mark on a call they make, but they don't have to show it to you, and you are not entitled to go check it yourself.

From the code:

21. Making calls on clay courts. If any part of a ball mark touches a line on a clay court, the ball shall be called good. If only part of the mark on a court can be seen, this means that the missing part is on a line or tape. A player should take a careful second look at any point-ending placement that is close to a line on a clay court. Occasionally a ball will strike the tape, jump, and then leave a full mark behind the line. This does not mean that a player is required to show an opponent the mark. The opponent shall not pass the net to inspect a mark. If a player hears the sound of a ball striking the
tape and sees a clean spot on the tape near the mark, the player should give the point to the opponent.

goran_ace 11-07-2012 08:49 PM

- Post deleted -

Timbo's hopeless slice 11-07-2012 08:53 PM

oh my...

I have NEVER seen anyone do that, ever.

I am quite sure it is against the rules, but that's not even the point, really, what were you thinking?

treblings 11-08-2012 01:32 AM

you jump over the net in a match against me, i make sure you jump right back:)
i particularly liked the part about you asking ´nicely´, once you safely landed.
i guess that makes you a nice hooker

North 11-08-2012 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaybear
Am I really in the wrong for jumping over the net? I just wanted to see the mark (it was a very important point). I never saw the mark, but didn't argue. Just was showing them that I wasn't afraid to object. Regardless of how I get over there, I feel it's legal to look for a mark

Lol. You weren't supposed to "get there" at all. It is not surprising your opponents were ticked off about that, whether you jumped over or just strolled around. Go ask Martina Hingis about that.

floridatennisdude 11-08-2012 02:44 AM

Rudest hooker? Hmmm, I don't like my hookers to be rude.

Gonzalito17 11-08-2012 05:01 AM

Sounds like the opponents made a horrible cheating call on a clearly IN ball, when that happens, this kind of reaction jumping the net is absolutely warranted. Obscene Cheating must be met with harsh rebuke.

Warning to blatant cheaters: DO NOT CHEAT

jaybear1909 11-08-2012 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangePower (Post 7001669)
You are wrong. You are not allowed to cross the net to go look for a mark. It's against the code whether you go around the net or jump over it, but IMO jumping over the net makes you seem like even more of a jerk.

What the rule actually says: If playing on a clay court and you call a close ball out, you are supposed to check the mark to verify. You can also ask your opponents to check the mark on a call they make, but they don't have to show it to you, and you are not entitled to go check it yourself.

From the code:

21. Making calls on clay courts. If any part of a ball mark touches a line on a clay court, the ball shall be called good. If only part of the mark on a court can be seen, this means that the missing part is on a line or tape. A player should take a careful second look at any point-ending placement that is close to a line on a clay court. Occasionally a ball will strike the tape, jump, and then leave a full mark behind the line. This does not mean that a player is required to show an opponent the mark. The opponent shall not pass the net to inspect a mark. If a player hears the sound of a ball striking the
tape and sees a clean spot on the tape near the mark, the player should give the point to the opponent.

But I saw JMac do it!

If you're going to intentionally call the ball out because neither you nor your wife could reach it, I think that's wrong. I guess I could have just asked from my side of the net, but it wouldn't have gotten anywhere.

Darn my young legs.

jaybear1909 11-08-2012 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floridatennisdude (Post 7001884)
Rudest hooker? Hmmm, I don't like my hookers to be rude.

Beggars can't be choosers ;)

treblings 11-08-2012 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaybear1909 (Post 7002000)
But I saw JMac do it!

If you're going to intentionally call the ball out because neither you nor your wife could reach it, I think that's wrong. I guess I could have just asked from my side of the net, but it wouldn't have gotten anywhere.

Darn my young legs.

lovely excuse, ´but i saw JMac do it´:)

NTRPolice 11-08-2012 05:26 AM

You may have won the match.
They will win the grievance.

This is the type of antic that will actually result of a successful petition.

I've only see two instances where someone jumps over the net. One was to throw blows and the other was in response to someone getting (more or less) seriously injured.

If you wanted to see the mark, wait till you change sides, or come to the net and look from there.

Running and jumping over the net. lol.

Normally I hate it when people say "lol rec tennis" but this is the type of instance where I have to say "its just rec tennis" and there is no need or reason to resort to such antics.

rufus_smith 11-08-2012 05:50 AM

I applaud your enthusiam for tennis but going to the other side of the net is asking for trouble and is wrong, imho.

One thing to do, if you are concerned about a baseline call, stop and silently stare at the spot a couple seconds then continue play. The opponent wil get the message,

arche3 11-08-2012 05:51 AM

Yes lol rec tennis.

jaybear1909 11-08-2012 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NTRPolice (Post 7002038)
You may have won the match.
They will win the grievance.

This is the type of antic that will actually result of a successful petition.

I've only see two instances where someone jumps over the net. One was to throw blows and the other was in response to someone getting (more or less) seriously injured.

If you wanted to see the mark, wait till you change sides, or come to the net and look from there.

Running and jumping over the net. lol.

Normally I hate it when people say "lol rec tennis" but this is the type of instance where I have to say "its just rec tennis" and there is no need or reason to resort to such antics.

But cheating is perfectly fine right?

Looking at the mark after the changeover would have solved nothing. I will say that after I did this, they didn't open their mouth to call a close ball out the whole second set. Success.

It was a split second decision. The moment she hit the ball I knew it was in, and when they both called it out but neither could show me a consistent mark, I knew they were cheating. The woman showed me that it landed 3 feet to the left of the hash, and the guy showed me 3 feet right.

This is only the second match I've played where I was getting cheated. The first one I just stood there and let it go. I am regretting that to this day still.

If you're going to cheat on the big points, at least back it up.

goran_ace 11-08-2012 06:28 AM

I can't tell if you're just venting or if you are actually proud of your behavior.

treblings 11-08-2012 06:30 AM

i can tell, that you´re not really happy with the responses you get:wink:
there are two different aspects of your original post, that we can talk about
one, you jumped over the net. not much to talk about, that´s just not allowed

two, you had a difference of opinion, whether the ball was in or out and that difference of opinion made you certain, that your opponents where cheating

in post #1 you write:´i saw it hit very close, and the man called it out´
in post #18 it reads a bit different:´the moment she hit the ball, i knew it was in´
interestingly you didn´t find a mark that was in. why not?
but your opponents inability to show you a consistent mark is cheating?
did it ever occur to you, that they might have taken their eyes off the ball mark the moment they saw you jumping the net?