Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Doubles question: changing positions during point play? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=445161)

EDK 11-08-2012 03:22 AM

Doubles question: changing positions during point play?
 
After the receiving team returns the serve, is it permissible for players to swap left and right sides with their partners multiple times during the point? I always thought this was allowed Ė poaching would be one example of this.

A friend of mine was chastised by an onlooker during his doubles play for swapping sides with his partner too much. (They play one-up, one-back.) Said they are only allowed to swap one time during a point, after that anymore is illegal. Anyone know the exact rule on this?

treblings 11-08-2012 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EDK (Post 7001915)
After the receiving team returns the serve, is it permissible for players to swap left and right sides with their partners multiple times during the point? I always thought this was allowed Ė poaching would be one example of this.

A friend of mine was chastised by an onlooker during his doubles play for swapping sides with his partner too much. (They play one-up, one-back.) Said they are only allowed to swap one time during a point, after that anymore is illegal. Anyone know the exact rule on this?

you can swap as many times as you like.

xFullCourtTenniSx 11-08-2012 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EDK (Post 7001915)
After the receiving team returns the serve, is it permissible for players to swap left and right sides with their partners multiple times during the point? I always thought this was allowed Ė poaching would be one example of this.

A friend of mine was chastised by an onlooker during his doubles play for swapping sides with his partner too much. (They play one-up, one-back.) Said they are only allowed to swap one time during a point, after that anymore is illegal. Anyone know the exact rule on this?

LMFAO! HELL NOT IT'S NOT ILLEGAL! I can swap with my partner 100 times if the rally and our legs lasted long enough for it!

The guy is just an idiot and doesn't know how to play good doubles.

But if you guys are doing it just to distract your opponent, well it's up to the 4 of you to try and figure out whether it truly is a distraction, (or let it be left to a judge/umpire to decide, which you likely don't have). I'd bet 9/10 that it would be legal even then, because faking poaches is a standard thing before your opponent's hit their return. You guys can run where ever the hell you want as many times as you want. Whether it's a good choice is often harder to say unless you know where you need to be.

EDK 11-08-2012 04:49 AM

I'm with you guys. Thought it was common knowledge.

But I heard that onlooker was adamant, even said something like, "You don't know you can't swap more than once in a point? That's Tennis 101!!!"

It sounded like the guy was either a league captain or league player not able to mind his own business.

Anyway, as much as I'd love to pass this thread along, rather is there a rule in an official tennis rulebook somewhere that will put a cap in it?

treblings 11-08-2012 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EDK (Post 7001990)
I'm with you guys. Thought it was common knowledge.

But I heard that onlooker was adamant, even said something like, "You don't know you can't swap more than once in a point? That's Tennis 101!!!"

It sounded like the guy was either a league captain or league player not able to mind his own business.

Anyway, as much as I'd love to pass this thread along, rather is there a rule in an official tennis rulebook somewhere that will put a cap in it?

assuming youīre from the u.s., which iīm not, you would have to look at a usta rule book i guess
itīs not really even a question though

sundaypunch 11-08-2012 05:45 AM

Did they also tell you that you are only allowed to lob once per point?

Mongolmike 11-08-2012 06:54 AM

And did you know you aren't allowed to step over the outside lines except to serve and receive serve? It's a rule. Look it up in "Tennis 102".

woodrow1029 11-08-2012 07:17 AM

Rule 26, Case 5 is the closest I can think of that would explain it

Case 5:
In doubles, where are the serverís partner and receiverís partner allowed
to stand?

Decision:
The serverís partner and the receiverís partner may take any position on
their own side of the net, inside or outside the court. However, if a player is creating a

hindrance to the opponent(s), the hindrance rule should be used.

EDK 11-08-2012 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodrow1029 (Post 7002291)
Rule 26, Case 5 is the closest I can think of that would explain it

Case 5:
In doubles, where are the serverís partner and receiverís partner allowed
to stand?

Decision:
The serverís partner and the receiverís partner may take any position on
their own side of the net, inside or outside the court. However, if a player is creating a

hindrance to the opponent(s), the hindrance rule should be used.

Perfect, thank you. Looks like you're quoting from the ITF Rules of Tennis.

That rulebook is pretty slender. I was hoping it was a thick book which can be thrown with force at a person's face. :)

woodrow1029 11-08-2012 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EDK (Post 7002450)
Perfect, thank you. Looks like you're quoting from the ITF Rules of Tennis.

That rulebook is pretty slender. I was hoping it was a thick book which can be thrown with force at a person's face. :)

It was actually from the Friend at Court. The spiral binding might feel great if thrown at someone with enough force.

If you want to show them the 2007 Friend at Court, and they still don't believe you, you can tell them that my photo is on the cover of that book, and they can e-mail me for further clarification.

user92626 11-08-2012 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodrow1029 (Post 7002291)
Rule 26, Case 5 is the closest I can think of that would explain it

Case 5:
In doubles, where are the serverís partner and receiverís partner allowed
to stand?

Decision:
The serverís partner and the receiverís partner may take any position on
their own side of the net, inside or outside the court. However, if a player is creating a

hindrance to the opponent(s), the hindrance rule should be used.


So if you and your partner ran like clowns with hair on fire, would that be a hindrance and not permissible?

xFullCourtTenniSx 11-08-2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by user92626 (Post 7002652)
So if you and your partner ran like clowns with hair on fire, would that be a hindrance and not permissible?

Depends... Was there actually a fire and was it the cause of an outside source?

If you set your own hair on fire your opponents will call you out on it because you're the source of the delay. :[

If however, a fan ran onto the courts and lit your hair on fire, well then you can sue on top of getting the let. :twisted:


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse