Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Curious wrist pain. (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=445165)

aceroberts13 11-08-2012 07:24 AM

Curious wrist pain.

For the last two months I have struggled with a semi-sharp shooting pain on the top of my wrist in the center or about where the face of a wristwatch would sit. I feel it most when I serve and I feel like that is what is causing the pain to start initially but I have no idea how to correct my motion or if I need to or if this is something that I just need to work through. It hurts to do pushups as well.

It isn't quite debilitating yet, but I am concerned that I could be playing with fire. I have attempted resting for full 2 week periods on 2 occasions and the pain always returns rather quickly. Usually after my first service game.

Have I strained something bad? Or am I just working some new muscles/tendons and they are experiencing soreness from fatigue. The pain is mostly bearable, but I have had a few instances of very sharp pain.

Power Player 11-08-2012 07:33 AM

I hurt my wrist and it was similar to this. the pain will get worse. You need to ice and take AIs and rest.

While you are doing this, you need to make %100 sure you are not wristing the serve. Make sure your palm is waving to the side fence in trophy pose and turning 180 degrees so you are "combing your hair" when you swing to contact.

ollinger 11-08-2012 08:00 AM

You need to have an orthopedic eval. Absolutely no tennis until you are pain-free. There are scenarios here that could be very risky; some of the bones in the wrist, when fractured, can develop aseptic necrosis (as bad as it sounds) if not attended to. This needs to be assessed promptly.

aceroberts13 11-08-2012 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Player (Post 7002177)
I hurt my wrist and it was similar to this. the pain will get worse. You need to ice and take AIs and rest.

While you are doing this, you need to make %100 sure you are not wristing the serve. Make sure your palm is waving to the side fence in trophy pose and turning 180 degrees so you are "combing your hair" when you swing to contact.

Ok, after reading your description I am willing to bet that I am using the incorrect wrist action on my serves.

Do you have any tips, drills, advice, etc. on how to correct this? I'm looking for an illustration online (hopefully a youtube video) that shows correct and incorrect wrist action so I can see it and work on what I'm doing.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

LeeD 11-08-2012 09:43 AM

Before anyone can help with your serves, they would need to know what your are doing. Post vid.
Relax your wrist and forearms, use the buttcap to hold the racket from flying.

Power Player 11-08-2012 09:45 AM

sign up for the essential tennis free serving course..just google that..it shows everything, and should help a lot.

Rozroz 11-08-2012 10:01 AM

maybe ganglion cyst?
i'm currently about to check my ultrasound results with the doc.
seems around the same place.
if you touch the upper area of the wrist and it hurts, you might want to check it out.