Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Anyone use a setting off awl? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=445198)

pvaudio 11-08-2012 11:26 AM

Anyone use a setting off awl?

I've had a Kimony one for years now, but I always use my fingers because it takes so little time. However, I figure it was made for a reason, so does anyone have any instructions on how to use one of these to straighten the strings (or a video)? Thanks all.

uk_skippy 11-08-2012 12:55 PM

I use one as it saves fingers when doing a stack of rqts, especially at tournaments.

I tend to use it once I've strung about a 1/3 of crosses, and then at regular intervals, but I also try and keep the strings straight while stringing.

It's best to push the strings rather than stab at them.

Regards

paul

pvaudio 11-08-2012 01:00 PM

But how is it used, do you just hold it like a screwdriver and move the crosses up and down? In other words, what makes it more special/useful than say the blunt end of a capped pen?

uk_skippy 11-08-2012 01:07 PM

I hold it like you would a dagger (!) with the point downwards. You can then stab at the strings "below the bend" to move them into a straight position. But some people over do that motion with too much vigour.

I use a Babolat setting off awl which feels great in the hand. I cant think of using anything other than this type of awl as usually they're not that expensive. If I didn't have one, I would use my fingers like you do.

Regards

Paul

coachrick 11-08-2012 01:17 PM

I've had the Babolat version since '84, but I wouldn't necessarily replace it IF it happened to disappear. Back in the 'everybody use Pro Blend' days, it came in very handy when fine-tuning Kevlar strung @70# ;).

I think it's in my Babolat case somewhere...never unpacked it when we moved. I actually use(carefully) the curved business end of a pair of curved needle nose pliers to gently pull the string into alignment...two(or more) tasks from one tool :) .

Dags 11-08-2012 02:19 PM

I have one, but from the responses in this thread I'm not sure I'm using it as intended! I use it to fan the crosses when I'm pulling the string through, rather than my fingers.

PBODY99 11-08-2012 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dags (Post 7003184)
I have one, but from the responses in this thread I'm not sure I'm using it as intended! I use it to fan the crosses when I'm pulling the string through, rather than my fingers.

As you know it is good for that also. I then use it to align the previous string while the machine pulls tension on the next cross

diredesire 11-08-2012 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uk_skippy (Post 7002967)
I use one as it saves fingers when doing a stack of rqts, especially at tournaments.

I tend to use it once I've strung about a 1/3 of crosses, and then at regular intervals, but I also try and keep the strings straight while stringing.

It's best to push the strings rather than stab at them.

Regards

paul

Words of wisdom. A casual stringer probably won't benefit much from using one. If you've ever done a big tournament with several dozen frames, dragging your fingers across an imperfectly cut string tip hundreds of times really starts to hurt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by uk_skippy (Post 7003005)
I hold it like you would a dagger (!) with the point downwards. You can then stab at the strings "below the bend" to move them into a straight position. But some people over do that motion with too much vigour.

I use a Babolat setting off awl which feels great in the hand. I cant think of using anything other than this type of awl as usually they're not that expensive. If I didn't have one, I would use my fingers like you do.

Regards

Paul

I'd also recommend to hold it at an obtuse angle in relation to your wrist. A dagger would be roughly 90 degrees, angle the wrist out so it's coming down at an angle relative to the string bed. The Setting off tool is kind of unnerving when you watch someone else do it, but it's a pretty gentle tool as far as i can tell when actually using it.

Lakers4Life 11-08-2012 03:37 PM

I have a set of Kimony awls, I use the setting off often. I just work each cross, poking and pushing the cross until it's straight. It's easier when it's still mounted, but you can still use it unmounted. I also have one that came from a Prince tool set. The handle bigger not narrow like the Kimony.

The setting off tool is the third from the bottom.

The red handled tool in the Prince set.

The one that looks like a mini meat hook, is not really a setting off tool, it's a string mover/puller mainly used by badminton stringers. It's great for moving the string in a shared hole. I've seen a great video of it being used instead of a pathfinder awl.

pvaudio 11-08-2012 04:47 PM

^^^Yep, I have the top 4 Kimony awls you have there. I'll try it on one of my frames I'm going to restring.

Rabbit 11-08-2012 05:08 PM

I have one, but rarely use it. If I'm stringing for a tournament and my hands start to hurt, I'll use it. Other than that, I don't

I think a far better investment is a starting clamp or 2.

pvaudio 11-08-2012 05:25 PM

^^^I want a second starting clamp: one for bridging, one for crosses and knots. That way, I don't have to stop what I'm doing and thread string through the eyelets to make a bridge, undo it, and then tighten the knot. I know, first world problems :)

diredesire 11-08-2012 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pvaudio (Post 7003405)
^^^I want a second starting clamp: one for bridging, one for crosses and knots. That way, I don't have to stop what I'm doing and thread string through the eyelets to make a bridge, undo it, and then tighten the knot. I know, first world problems :)

Get some CAM pliers. Having a starter (mostly) for knots is going a little overboard. I won't judge you, though, I have 4 :)

Lakers4Life 11-08-2012 06:58 PM

The Babolat Cam pliers are next on my list. $58 plus shipping last time I checked from Babolat.

FWIW, I have four starting clamps, Two Babolat, one Gamma and a Pro's Pro/Eagnas.

drakulie 11-08-2012 09:40 PM

I use a Babolat, nearly on every frame. At tournies they are a must (really save the fingers as other have stated).

Also, as Dire already commented, I use a Cam Action to tie off knots. Probably my favorite tool.

pvaudio 11-08-2012 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diredesire (Post 7003452)
Get some CAM pliers. Having a starter (mostly) for knots is going a little overboard. I won't judge you, though, I have 4 :)

Nope, the starting clamp is for crosses, but it's what I use to grip non-gut strings to pull knots tight. I do want another though just so I can have a permanent bridge (for some reason I've been running into more sets of string which require bridging....actually likely due to the racquets I've been getting requiring more string). :)

uk_skippy 11-09-2012 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit (Post 7003390)
I think a far better investment is a starting clamp or 2.

Sort of agree with you as you can get away with using fingers, but no real alternative to a starting clamp, although I do have 2 Babolat Setting off awls

Quote:

Originally Posted by diredesire (Post 7003452)

I feel poor as I've only 3 starting clamps :oops:

Regards

Paul

struggle 11-09-2012 04:01 AM

interesting. i guess i've seen those before. i got a decent little cluster of tools with my "ought 4". Combined those with my old eagnas tools (kept when i sold it) and i cant even keep up with my snippers, much less two starting clamps.

all i need is one more thing, damn. might have to get one.

Irvin 11-09-2012 04:11 AM

^^tbuggle I believe i got a setting off tool with my Eagnas. Never used it I don't think as I prefer to keep strings straight as I go.