Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pros' Racquets and Gear (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Berdych to Head, Dimitrov to Wilson!! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=445224)

Babolast 11-08-2012 01:40 PM

Berdych to Head, Dimitrov to Wilson!!

Can't believe how many players Nike is dropping!

What is going on?

What is the future for Nike tennis?!

Ico 11-08-2012 01:43 PM

Head apparel? What the hell.

Seth 11-08-2012 01:44 PM

Berdych to Head? This is really surprising.

dimeaxe 11-08-2012 01:45 PM

Are you sure it's not a racquet deal?:)Maybe, after all they want to sign No1vak:mrgreen:

Babolast 11-08-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ico (Post 7003108)
Head apparel? What the hell.

Money talks I guess but Nike will have lost 3 big stars come 2013... this is alarming.

hcb0804 11-08-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babolast (Post 7003100)
Can't believe how many players Nike is dropping!

What is going on?

What is the future for Nike tennis?!

Gotta free up the money for Djokovic

tistrapukcipeht 11-08-2012 01:51 PM

Let's be honest, Nike $ucks, low quality shoes and apparel. Not even for free I wanted their stuff.

Berdych/Del Potro/Dimitrov aren't going to dominate ATP so Nike is actually being smart and dropping them.

Another fact is, these guys come from small countries and may not be marketable enough. Nadal and Federer are from small countries as well, but they dominate the Tour unlike the others, who buys stuff because of Berdych and Del potro, Dimitrov.

I'd be surprised if they don't drop Tomic, Tomic might go to Yonex as well.

Federerkblade 11-08-2012 01:53 PM

Not surprised.

Bobby Jr 11-08-2012 02:08 PM

Not surprised at all really. It's a combination of brands do assessments on public awareness of a player and what they wear - which will also factor in what they've achieved in recent years and their ages. For Berdych and Dimitrov that amounts to basically nothing in the bigger scheme of tennis.

Other factors also include a recovering retail market in some regions, especially the Asian/mid-east markets and a positive outlook over the next five years globally. This is an opportunity for newer or fringe brands to make their mark renew their presence. Wilson, for example, seems to be more popular in their clothing lines than I ever recall - they might see this as an opportunity so shore up more players who already use their racquets. It's easy pickings (Wawrinka etc).

Nike would not even bat an eyelid when these guys come to the end of their contract with them and are made offers by another company - they're probably happy to see the back of them in some cases (not worth the effort or money). That's why players basically never have long-term contracts until they've achieved something special. Nike have rarely ever put effort into "me too" players on the tour and will be on the hunt for the next Sampras/Agassi/Federer/Nadal who is still under 20 at this stage. They can sign 20 of them for the amount of money Berdych would think he's worth for another two years.

sureshs 11-08-2012 02:23 PM

Source?...........

Xavier 11-08-2012 02:48 PM

Fake

This is fake

Babolast 11-08-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 7003190)
Source?...........

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xavier (Post 7003216)
This is fake

Just wait until 2013 and then you can eat your words....

gavna 11-08-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babolast (Post 7003227)

Right......I've been in Europe for 3 weeks now and I've heard from a bunch of folks in the industry talking about all the switches in 2013.....LaMonf with Asics (been offical for a few weeks now) Delpo with Li-Ning (all over the place last week in Bercy) - Head pushing their line of soft goods in 2013 and looking to hook up at least 1 or 2 top 20 players Berdie was a done deal.

And it's not Nike dropping them its the players going out for bigger and better deals -

Adidas_Anderson 11-08-2012 03:02 PM

Here's a tweet
Wilson Tennis ‏@WilsonTennis
We're only 6 followers away from 30,000. Let's do this!!
Expand
1h Tennis Connected ‏@TennisConnected
@WilsonTennis We're hearing Grigor Dimitrov is joining Wilson as an apparel player as well. True or false?
Expand
15m Wilson Tennis ‏@WilsonTennis
@tennisconnected hmm, where did you hear that rumor? Grigor is currently with Wilson tennis rackets and accessories.
Hide conversation Reply Retweet Favorite
6:45 AM - 9 Nov 12 Details

11m Tennis Connected ‏@TennisConnected
@WilsonTennis Insider told us that he's making the switch. I guess we'll keep an eye out.

cluckcluck 11-08-2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adidas_Anderson (Post 7003242)
Here's a tweet
Wilson Tennis ‏@WilsonTennis
We're only 6 followers away from 30,000. Let's do this!!
Expand
1h Tennis Connected ‏@TennisConnected
@WilsonTennis We're hearing Grigor Dimitrov is joining Wilson as an apparel player as well. True or false?
Expand
15m Wilson Tennis ‏@WilsonTennis
@tennisconnected hmm, where did you hear that rumor? Grigor is currently with Wilson tennis rackets and accessories.
Hide conversation Reply Retweet Favorite
6:45 AM - 9 Nov 12 Details

11m Tennis Connected ‏@TennisConnected
@WilsonTennis Insider told us that he's making the switch. I guess we'll keep an eye out.

You think the social media manager would know these kinds of details from such a large company? Doubtful. If this is actually going to happen (the switch), then the higherups would now long before social media.

Bobby Jr 11-08-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babolast (Post 7003227)

To be fair.... you've had a clanger in the past with regards to Djokovic. I wouldn't tell people to get ready to eat their words unless you're prepared to do the same. :twisted:

Babolast 11-08-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby Jr (Post 7003255)
To be fair.... you've had a clanger in the past with regards to Djokovic. I wouldn't tell people to get ready to eat their words unless you're prepared to do the same. :twisted:

Mate I'm prepared to do the same. Deals are DONE. Just thought il pass it on to fellow TTW members.

As regards to Djokovic I said it was a "big rumour" these deals are confirmed.

tennisfan2010 11-08-2012 03:21 PM

Surprised about Berdych, wow!

Ico 11-08-2012 03:23 PM

Looking to the future, there aren't many Nike players past Federer and Nadal. I suppose Janowicz and Goffin are the future of Nike Tennis?

anhuynh16 11-08-2012 03:29 PM

I could understand Dimitrov, but source please for Berdych?