Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   TW Questions/Comments (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   TWU proffesor. Question on strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=445227)

newyorkstadium 11-08-2012 01:01 PM

TW proffesor. Question on strings

Is the tension loss data relevant to tennis playing conditions? Don't some strings rate of tension loss change over time? Would a longer testing process be more accurate?

newyorkstadium 11-15-2012 06:17 AM

Bump. TW Staff, does TW Professor frequent this forum much?

TW Staff 11-15-2012 07:43 AM

newyorkstadium,

We are sorry for the delay. We have passed your questions on to the TW Professor. He is very busy at the moment and will get to your questions as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Brittany, TW

TW Professor 11-15-2012 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newyorkstadium (Post 7003153)
Is the tension loss data relevant to tennis playing conditions?

Don't some strings rate of tension loss change over time? Would a longer testing process be more accurate?

The tension loss data indicates how fast and how much tension a string will lose compared to others. All strings lose a lot of tension right after stringing and with the first 100 hits or so. Polys lose the most, then nylon, then gut. But the loss of tension is not good or bad perse. It all depends on whether or not you like the feel after the initial tension loss and break in period. Polys are so stiff that even after tension loss, they are still stiff compared to other strings. After the break in period, the rate of loss slows a great deal and all strings stabilize to a very slow, continual tension loss. This will affect string deflection and dwell time, which, in turn, might affect the feel and trajectory of your shot.

Strings that lose a lot of tension initially will lose more tension during the stabilization phase also. A longer test period would be able to chart this loss, but it is not worth the time to do so. When the string becomes "unplayable" is a subjective decision, not a measurable quantity, because it means different things to different people. Strings with comparable stiffness and tension loss numbers will probably feel similar and do so for similar time periods. That is how the numbers are useful to players--if you like a string with certain parameters, you will probably like other strings with similar numbers.

newyorkstadium 11-15-2012 11:36 AM

Is it true that strings lose elasticity then go "dead"? This confuses me as tension loss should make the string more powerful.

In terms of a gut/poly combo, will I get the most spin if the gut/poly both have high spin potential on the "string finder"?

Does stringing a softer poly tighter give pretty similar performance to a stiffer string at a lower tension?

Do you plan any data on elasticity loss?

Finally, does a string with high spin potential have less durability, due to high string to ball friction?

newyorkstadium 11-17-2012 08:42 AM

TW Staff, could you pass on the message that I have more questions, please?

Sorry for the impatience, it's just my topic is near the bottom of the page.

thanks

TW Staff 11-19-2012 09:16 AM

newyorkstadium,

Your message has already been passed on to the Professor. Unfortunately, he will not be in the office until next week.

Brittany, TW

newyorkstadium 11-19-2012 10:04 AM

Thanks. What day does he return?

TW Staff 11-19-2012 01:16 PM

newyorkstadium,

Just confirmed he won't be back into the office until around December 10.

Brittany, TW

mikeler 11-19-2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TW Staff (Post 7024967)
newyorkstadium,

Just confirmed he won't be back into the office until around December 10.

Brittany, TW

Typical professor. Never in during office hours, works 2 days a week and gets holidays plus summers off. :)

TW Professor 12-17-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newyorkstadium (Post 7018241)
Is it true that strings lose elasticity then go "dead"? This confuses me as tension loss should make the string more powerful.

In terms of a gut/poly combo, will I get the most spin if the gut/poly both have high spin potential on the "string finder"?

Does stringing a softer poly tighter give pretty similar performance to a stiffer string at a lower tension?

Do you plan any data on elasticity loss?

Finally, does a string with high spin potential have less durability, due to high string to ball friction?

Q1: "Going dead" means different things to different people. Some say it makes the racquet trampoline like and balls go flying with more power (most likely higher trajectory due to tension loss is making them go long) and others say that the stringbed gets stiffer, loses power, and hurts their arms. You're right, it doesn't make sense. I am presently doing experiments to figure this all out, but you will have to stay tuned, because it will be a while before I get it all up on the website.

Q2:Gut/poly combos depend on which is in the main and in the cross. Gut works best as a main. When hybriding, it is best to look only at the string-to-string friction. You want the strings to slide on each other. Pick strings with low string-to-string coefficients of friction (on String Finder these can be see by clicking on the number in the spin potential box for the given string).

Q3: In theory, if the resulting stiffness of the two strings is the same, they will feel similar.

Q4: The closest thing we have to "elasticity loss" is the energy return category on the String Performance Database:
http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/lear...r/reporter.php

Q5: High spin potential strings will move more on each other. This may create more wear, depending on the string. However, the wear will be spread out over a longer distance than a string that does not move much. I guess experience will be the best judge there.

newyorkstadium 12-17-2012 01:43 PM

Thanks very much. I have another question.

In terms of tension/elasticity loss, is there a difference between the tightly strung soft poly and the loose stiffer poly? Would there be a difference in durability?

Which would provide more spin if the spin potential was similar?

TW Professor 12-17-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newyorkstadium (Post 7067919)
Thanks very much. I have another question.

In terms of tension/elasticity loss, is there a difference between the tightly strung soft poly and the loose stiffer poly? Would there be a difference in durability?

Which would provide more spin if the spin potential was similar?

There are many general principles you can apply to strings, but you can't answer many very specific ones like these. We don't measure durability so I don't know. In general, if the string has a higher spin potential, it is likely to have more spin, all things being equal.

newyorkstadium 12-18-2012 01:29 AM

I've read that a high tension string has more elasticity loss, because it's stretched more.

High spin potential strings have high string-to-ball friction. Does this wear the strings out quicker?

The string friction rankings is missing out on some strings like VS tonic. Also, the Pacific Classic has a different COF value from the string finder tool.

Thanks again.

newyorkstadium 12-19-2012 07:19 AM

bump................

Ronaldo 12-19-2012 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 7025101)
Typical professor. Never in during office hours, works 2 days a week and gets holidays plus summers off. :)

Hope he does not go on a three hour cruise over the Holidays, eh?

TW Professor 12-19-2012 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newyorkstadium (Post 7068654)
From reading talktennis, I've learnt that a tightly strung string has more elasticity loss. It also breaks quicker. I've also read that lower tensions aid spin production.

In this sense, a low tension, stiff string plays better then a high tension soft string. What do you think?

High spin potential strings have high string-to-ball friction. Does this wear the strings out quicker?

The string friction rankings is missing out on some strings like VS tonic. Also, the Pacific Classic has a different COF value from the string finder tool.

Thanks again.

Lower tensions might add to spin because there would be lower friction between the strings so they can move laterally more easily and snap-back to induce spin. At the same time, stiffer strings tend to snap back faster and with more force. That will increase spin.

I've never tested wear and friction. I doubt it makes much difference.

The friction tools will continue to add missing strings. But adding new strings has priority over adding older ones. If there is a difference in COF between the two tools, go with the String Finder tool. I'll have to look into why there is a difference. There shouldn't be.

newyorkstadium 12-19-2012 09:43 AM

I've read that a high tension string has more elasticity loss, because it's stretched more.

From looking at your tension loss data, it appears that high tension strings (61lbs) have more tension loss. With 51lbs having the least, and 41 in the middle.

newyorkstadium 12-21-2012 02:01 PM

Final question. Does synthetic gut play the same as a multi if all parameters are the same (elasticity, stiffness, spin potential)?

TW Professor 12-21-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newyorkstadium (Post 7074053)
Final question. Does synthetic gut play the same as a multi if all parameters are the same (elasticity, stiffness, spin potential)?

Construction doesn't matter much to performance if all parameters are the same ... except perhaps in durability. A multi might wear and fray more.