Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   string length when stringing (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=445231)

chermeyer 11-08-2012 03:16 PM

string length when stringing

Sorry if this is lengthy and its also my first post but i am about to string my prestige mp up with a gut hybrid however im not sure if can get away with using 20 ft of string to get 2 jobs out of my pack of gut

in the past i have followed klippermate's guide for string length which i believe calls for 21 ft in the mains (where the gut will be) and 17 ft in the crosses in the past ive done a full bed of poly and i was cutting it close with 21 ft for the mains (no starter clamp patch needed though but almost)

so what im asking is will the gut stretch enough for me to pull all the mains and tie off by only using 20 ft i know i might need to patch with a starting clamp which i have i just dont want to end up stringing this and running out if anyone could get back to me that would be great or if anyone has done this and could give me an answer that would be great thanks

Lakers4Life 11-08-2012 03:22 PM

On a Crank, it may be possbile, since the gripper can be moved closer to the frame. On fixed tensioners like a DW or an Electronic CP, you'll need a bridged starting clamp. If you had one less pair of mains, like a 16, it's possible. On an 18, not with a bridge.

chermeyer 11-08-2012 03:32 PM

okay thank you for your quick reply ill make sure i have some extra string long enough to bridge with as im stringing on a drop weight

Lakers4Life 11-08-2012 03:38 PM

Invest in a starting clamp, it will save you a lot of headaches.

Irvin 11-08-2012 03:40 PM

I would not cut the string in half. I would make a 10' short side and 30' long side. When you finish the mains tie off and use the left over on the long side for your next string job. That will leave you the maximum length for the second time around. If 10.5' for each side worked for poly (half of 21') then 10' should work for gut. Any way it goes you will know next time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7003286)
Invest in a staring clamp, it will save you a lot of headaches.

He did say he had a starting clamp I thought.

chermeyer 11-08-2012 03:47 PM

i bought a starting clamp with my machine and i do agree it has tons of uses and irvin good idea ill do that instead thanks for the tip

also i have done some gut jobs before and have noticed the tip does i guess you could say "fray" anyway i read somewhere that if you put a tiny bit of clear nail polish or super glue on the tip of the gut and it will maintain the tip better and make it easier to push the string though shared holes is this a good idea or could it harm the string i know its only on the tip and not the string that will be played with but im just wondering since i know almost everyone on here is more experienced than me

Lakers4Life 11-08-2012 03:52 PM

I'd rather cut in half and use a starting clamp. Running a half set Natural Gut through grommets is not a great idea. IMHO. Maybe with Syn Gut, but Natural Gut is delicate and expensive. Why take the risk of damaging the second half set?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 7003290)
He did say he had a starting clamp I thought.

Then what's the problem? :???: If you don't have the right tools you have a problem. If you do have the tools but don't want to use them, then it's your problem.

A second starting clamp comes in real handy. I have 4 starting clamps, two for each of my machines.

chermeyer 11-08-2012 03:56 PM

i was just making sure it would work out im somewhat new to stringing so i wanted to ask and be 100% sure