Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Cracking at the 12 and 6 on a Gamma 6-point mount (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=445234)

Lakers4Life 11-08-2012 03:28 PM

Cracking at the 12 and 6 on a Gamma 6-point mount

A friend of mine strings his daughters rackets about once a month each on his Gamma 5003. She is USTA Junior player and breaks string frequently. The racket she uses are Babolat AeroDrivePro GT. The inside of the frame is cracking at the 12 and 6 o'clock points where the billards touch. Since the billards on the Gamma 5003 are straight and the frame of the ADP GT are curved, there is a lot of pressure at the contact points.

As Far as I know, the cracking on the paint, or else they would have "Taco'd" a long time ago. I'm just wondering if anyone with an Gamma 6-point has had the same problem, or anyone with a 6 point mount with straight billards, that matter.

I'm recommending shaping the billards to apply more contact area to the frame or use some type of padding like leather. The billards on my Babolat Sensor are curved, so I don't experience the same problem. Also the plastic pads seem to be made of a softer material than the Gamma pads. They tend to deform over time.

jim e 11-08-2012 04:43 PM

On a number of racquets I use the so called load spacers on the ends as the billiards are small, and those spacers spread out the forces.
I use them a lot on Princes O port racquets at the 12 oclock position as it holds the racquet better as that racquet is curved as well,and on other racquets that I think it would be best to use as it spreads the load over a greater space.Those are those little plastic pieces that came with my machine (Xtremesportsmachines Pro Master 6 point).I assume that most machines came with those little spacers, as they just fit over the billiards.
Don't know much about the Gamma mounting. It may be different.

Just curious, does anyone else use those load spacers?

Lakers4Life 11-08-2012 05:55 PM

I've seen the load spacers but they are for badminton rackets.

jim e 11-08-2012 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7003537)
I've seen the load spacers but they are for badminton rackets.

I do not have a camera at this time, so I just used my scanner and scanned my spacers. I never strung badminton racquets, but these spacers fit tennis racquets nice, and the hole seem to match the tennis racquets, and allows more surface area than just the small billiard.
Below is picture, sorry for poor quality, as I said no camera, just a scan picture. The side with the groove is flat, and other side is curved to contour to racquet.Picture shows 2 sides , as the groove side fits the billiard thats on the one side, other side is contoured to fit racquet although that does not show on these poor pictures.Fits tennis racquets nice.
? if anyone here besides me uses these.

Lakers4Life 11-08-2012 09:06 PM

Thanks Jim! I wonder where my friend can get some of those.

cluckcluck 11-08-2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7003710)
Thanks Jim! I wonder where my friend can get some of those.

Call up Alpha Sports in Texas or Eagnas. AS has some stringway products that might be modified to work. Eagnas carries many badminton stringing accessories.

Irvin 11-09-2012 02:17 AM

I have several different styles of mounting pads that came with my Gamma 6004 but they are all straight. There are two small pins on the back of each pad where they fit into the billiard. You may have trouble getting something from Alpha or Eagnas that matches up.

jim e 11-09-2012 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 7003885)
I have several different styles of mounting pads that came with my Gamma 6004 but they are all straight. There are two small pins on the back of each pad where they fit into the billiard. You may have trouble getting something from Alpha or Eagnas that matches up.

Although it is not evident on the pictures I supplied, the straight side has no pins, just a channel that the billiard rests against, (as you leave the normal pads in place, as thats what the spacers rests against) , and the opposite side is curved which is against the racquet. This way, once the racquet is completed and you loosen up the billiards to remove the racquet from the machine, the plastic piece can very easily be removed, as it drops free and you just turn it sideways between the central mains to remove it.
I really like this on some O Port racquets at the 12 oclock position as between some O Ports the frame has a distinct curvature, and with this spacer, there is less chance of a straight billiard against that curved part of the frame to move, as it makes it more stabil and also evens out the forces over a larger area.

Below is another side view picture, I know it is poor picture, but I only have my computer scanner to copy this as no camera at this time, so I had to place these on end on scanner to take image as the long end is 1 1/4 inch long, but is shows the curvature of these.

Irvin 11-09-2012 05:31 AM

I wonder if you could use a spare pad and some RTV Silicone to mold a piece that fits a specific racket?

Lakers4Life 11-17-2012 11:18 AM

@Jim E: I've found two products. One from MBS for badminton and another from Yonex.

The Yonex Tennis Adaptor is closer to what you have. They only seem to be available from Apollo Leisure in the UK. :(

jim e 11-17-2012 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7021619)
@Jim E: I've found two products. One from MBS for badminton and another from Yonex.

The Yonex Tennis Adaptor is closer to what you have. They only seem to be available from Apollo Leisure in the UK. :(

I have 2 of both of these.
The one on the bottom is the one I use the most.
Most racquets you can use the one pictured on the bottom at the head of the racquet, and a decent % can also use at throat at times, depending on racquet. These will spread out the forces over a larger area, and especially on some O Port racquets where the frame is convex at the top and the 12 oclock billiard is flat then there is a chance of the billiard slipping off center on the curved racquet where that piece (the bottom one pictured) keeps it in place the way it should.Some stringers probably do not use them, but in reality no one can fault you for taking precautions of the racquets saftey, as these will do no harm, and can even out forces over a larger area as the tip of the billiards are very small, so it contacts just a small area.

firefox 11-17-2012 11:55 AM

You can fabricate your own plastic adapters fairly easily using Friendly Plastic. For example, Prince Neos 1500 doesn't come with any adaptors for racquets with thin bridge (APD, old Max 200G), so I made my own pieces instead of using leather shims.
Friendly plastic softens at 120F, so you can form any shape you want with it. Once cooled, it hardens to Teflon-like hard plastic.

Irvin 11-17-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7021619)

On my 6004 they have plastic pad that go on the billiards. Look to see if there are two small hole in the billiards where the pad prongs go in. They are black pads on the billards. You can see them in the picture.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Gamm...A-50036SC.html

Lakers4Life 11-18-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim e (Post 7021649)
I have 2 of both of these.
The one on the bottom is the one I use the most.
Most racquets you can use the one pictured on the bottom at the head of the racquet, and a decent % can also use at throat at times, depending on racquet. These will spread out the forces over a larger area, and especially on some O Port racquets where the frame is convex at the top and the 12 oclock billiard is flat then there is a chance of the billiard slipping off center on the curved racquet where that piece (the bottom one pictured) keeps it in place the way it should.Some stringers probably do not use them, but in reality no one can fault you for taking precautions of the racquets saftey, as these will do no harm, and can even out forces over a larger area as the tip of the billiards are very small, so it contacts just a small area.

He only needs it for one model racket (APDGT), so he's not too concerned with other model rackets. I'm hoping YonexUSA will tell me if this was sold in the US.

Quote:

Originally Posted by firefox (Post 7021673)
You can fabricate your own plastic adapters fairly easily using Friendly Plastic. For example, Prince Neos 1500 doesn't come with any adaptors for racquets with thin bridge (APD, old Max 200G), so I made my own pieces instead of using leather shims.
Friendly plastic softens at 120F, so you can form any shape you want with it. Once cooled, it hardens to Teflon-like hard plastic.

I was thinking of using Delrin which can be milled like metal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 7021685)
On my 6004 they have plastic pad that go on the billiards. Look to see if there are two small hole in the billiards where the pad prongs go in. They are black pads on the billards. You can see them in the picture.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Gamm...A-50036SC.html

I know what the pads look like. I used to own this machine. They look like this.

struggle 11-18-2012 06:21 PM

i'd buy some new billiard "pads" and carve or dremel them into the desired shape/roundness.

i have yet to run into the cracking problem (I have a 6004), but can see the concern.

Lakers4Life 11-19-2012 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbuggle (Post 7023705)
i'd buy some new billiard "pads" and carve or dremel them into the desired shape/roundness.

i have yet to run into the cracking problem (I have a 6004), but can see the concern.

The problem with the Gamma Billard pads, is that there not much material to work with. Jim E's suggestion with the load spreaders seems to be the best option, ATM.

Unless you string the same racket monthly, you probably won't see the cracking.

Lakers4Life 12-28-2012 10:37 PM

My friend recently purchased a machine, and these were included.

Irvin 12-29-2012 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7023999)
The problem with the Gamma Billard pads, is that there not much material to work with. Jim E's suggestion with the load spreaders seems to be the best option, ATM.

Unless you string the same racket monthly, you probably won't see the cracking.

I strung my Prince Hybrid O3s monthly if not weekly for over two years and did not have any cracking.

zapvor 12-29-2012 08:35 AM

gamma states that for babolat frames when you clamp you have the place the clamp beyond the throat onto the handle itself to maintain the same height

Lakers4Life 12-29-2012 11:34 AM

I think that's for Gamma 2 point mounts. I've never heard it for 6-point mounts.