Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pros' Racquets and Gear (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Wickmayer's racquet (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=445260)

Roforot 11-09-2012 03:16 AM

Wickmayer's racquet

Just curious, TW has Yanina Wickmayer as playing w/ the 2012 Babolat Pure Drive, but the Donnay shop has a 100th Anniversary edition Yanina Wickmayer stick!

Has Donnay been around for a century making tennis racquets?

Is the Donnay Wickmayer a Pure Drive clone since that's the direction she followed?

Does anyone have a story behind her switch? I'm sure $ is part of it but it seems like a jerk move to leave a company that has a special stick made after you. I'm sure Donnay's not happy about it.

Why did Donnay make a stick after Wickmayer in the first place? Is she really popular in Canada or something?

ericsson 11-09-2012 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roforot (Post 7003915)
Just curious, TW has Yanina Wickmayer as playing w/ the 2012 Babolat Pure Drive, but the Donnay shop has a 100th Anniversary edition Yanina Wickmayer stick!

Has Donnay been around for a century making tennis racquets?

Is the Donnay Wickmayer a Pure Drive clone since that's the direction she followed?

Does anyone have a story behind her switch? I'm sure $ is part of it but it seems like a jerk move to leave a company that has a special stick made after you. I'm sure Donnay's not happy about it.

Why did Donnay make a stick after Wickmayer in the first place? Is she really popular in Canada or something?

She had a contract with Donnay (Sportsdirect) but is now back to Babolat and the Pure Drive.
Donnay has been around for more then 100 years (1910) but tennis was not the first thing they made, The company made wood tool handles before beginning to manufacture wood racquets in 1934...

dr325i 11-09-2012 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericsson (Post 7004017)
She had a contract with Donnay (Sportsdirect) but is now back to Babolat and the Pure Drive.
Donnay has been around for more then 100 years (1910) but tennis was not the first thing they made, The company made wood tool handles before beginning to manufacture wood racquets in 1934...

I am trying to figure out where CANADA came into play in this thread???

Roforot 11-10-2012 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericsson (Post 7004017)

Thanks. I had no idea Donnay was that old. Do you have any idea why they made her a special edition racquet if she wasn't signed to a long term contract? Did she have a really hot year? Was she dating the CEO's nephew?

I had never heard of her, but I have some relatives in Canada, and they always have some sort of popular fads or favorites that are unknown. I thought maybe she was really big over there.

To be honest, I was initially searching through my memory of all the old Aussie doubles players when I saw the name "Wickmayer."

Dave M 11-13-2012 02:11 PM

Those special edition frames, I don't think she ever switched from the (i think) dunlop she was using before it, sports direct sold them off for 10 each and they're regularly on our e b ay noramlly starting at 10 the last 3 times i have seen one they haven't sold.