Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Bio 500 Tour (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=445264)

un6a 11-09-2012 04:28 AM

Bio 500 Tour
 
My new Bio 500 Tour arrived today.

Initial observations:
It's 5 grams under specs, balance seems to be 3 pts HL as advertised.
Dry swings feels good, not too light nor too heavy. Estimated SW is 310-315.
Head shape is different from Bio 400T, more narrow and longer.
Pattern is very open, much more then 400T, similar to Tec Tfight.
It's factory prestrung with dunlop silk at high tension (about 60 lbs)
Grip size is 2, and with overgrip it's perfect for me. I had to rewrap grip on my Bio 400T (G3) very tightly to get similar result.

More to come tommorrow after my double session.

robbo1970 11-09-2012 08:16 AM

Dunlop put a strung weight on their rackets which will surely have a bit of flexibility depending on what it is strung with, but 5g under is good as it will be close to spot on with a dampener.

The head shape on the 400T is different, its a different mold to the previous Bio's, more like the new models.

I went for the grip size 2 as well. I have small hands so although I switched the grip to the biomimetic tour replacement grip, I dont bother now with an overgrip and the feel is great.

The Bio's do just feel like quality rackets, I even think the silk is ok.

The 500T is a very popular racket for a reason. Enjoy.

zapvor 11-09-2012 08:24 AM

i had the old ag 500tour and loved it for serves.

you should not have gotten pre strung though........

LeeD 11-09-2012 01:57 PM

Have 3 Aero 500's, one weighted with now 20 grams of weight, 12 at 10-2, and 8 at the buttcap under the overgrip.
I like the lighter ones better, every time, against anyone, for match play. I like rallying and hitting with the heavier one, for sure.
I find holding the racket down by 1/4" makes a huge difference in SW, enough to compensate for the light weight of the rackets.
And to compensate for mishits and twisting, I still use 4 5/8th with an overgrip.
Can't imagine how anyone can hit volleys off hard passing shots with a grip smaller than 1/2.

un6a 11-10-2012 06:09 AM

Quick update after my tennis session:

Sweet spot of Bio 500T is smaller then most 100 inch head size racquets and because of narrow head shape it plays more like 98 inch size racquet imo.

Power level was simmilar to 400T, but i got more action on the ball with 400T. Though string jobs are different (fresh full poly on 400T, silk on 500T).
With full poly at lower tension it may be different animal.

It have very nice crisp feel, but not metallic like Tfight for example.
Although beam width is 25 mm, racquet don't feel as clumsy as some other wider beam racquets because of narrower head shape and i think it is heading
more towards all court performance than most 100 inch head size racquets.
It plays like 300 Tour on steroids. 400T is more suited for pure baseline play imo.

Bio 500T is more stable than 400T in stock form, and i don't think i will need to modify weight (maybe just heavier grip to make it a bit more HL)

Though today i played better with 400T (more consistent with fewer UE) i'm looking forward to try 500T again eventually with poly strings.

robbo1970 11-10-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7005044)
Have 3 Aero 500's, one weighted with now 20 grams of weight, 12 at 10-2, and 8 at the buttcap under the overgrip.
I like the lighter ones better, every time, against anyone, for match play. I like rallying and hitting with the heavier one, for sure.
I find holding the racket down by 1/4" makes a huge difference in SW, enough to compensate for the light weight of the rackets.
And to compensate for mishits and twisting, I still use 4 5/8th with an overgrip.
Can't imagine how anyone can hit volleys off hard passing shots with a grip smaller than 1/2.

when you have smaller hands you need a smaller grip, simple as that.

And its not that difficult.

EDK 11-10-2012 11:17 AM

What's your full poly of choice in the 400T?

LeeD 11-10-2012 12:04 PM

Dude, 60 lbs strings are ridiculous, unless you are Monfils size.
I run 52 on my 500's, and it's too stiff, tight, and low powered with good control. I can go down to 48, I'm sure.
Can't tell a racket is right or wrong with 60 lbs.
A stiff racket works well with looser strings.

MikeHitsHard93 11-10-2012 12:06 PM

If my pro open has multi at any less than 56, it catapults.

LeeD 11-10-2012 12:11 PM

Strange, it don't seem to catapult for Federer, Nadal, or Djokovic.
Maybe you hit harder than them?

LeeD 11-10-2012 12:14 PM

Actually, I should retract moire's last post.
I seldom get "catapult" problems when I swing at every ball.
I usually get that problem when I"m defensive blocking the ball, and the catapult effect causes the ball to go long.
When I swing out fast and strong, the ball is usually under control, if I insure to add positive spin to the shot.

treblings 11-10-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7006390)
Strange, it don't seem to catapult for Federer, Nadal, or Djokovic.
Maybe you hit harder than them?

they donīt use multi

LeeD 11-10-2012 12:20 PM

Good idea, to use a strong no good player uses, and it catapults for you, and probably will cause arm problems in the future with a 67 stiffness racket at 60 lbs. tension.

MikeHitsHard93 11-10-2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7006412)
Good idea, to use a strong no good player uses, and it catapults for you, and probably will cause arm problems in the future with a 67 stiffness racket at 60 lbs. tension.

Not at all. It's quite comfy

LeeD 11-10-2012 12:57 PM

Dunlop500T's average about a 70 stiffness rating.
Does that sound like your racket?

un6a 11-10-2012 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EDK (Post 7006317)
What's your full poly of choice in the 400T?

Actually it's SP Hyperion at 24/23 kg. Liked it from 1st hit. Tried also Beast XP, Black widow (too muted for me) and Pro Line 2. Imo Hyperion and PL 2 offers similar level of control, but hyperion have better tension maitenance.

prjacobs 11-10-2012 02:01 PM

I used a 4D 500 tour with a full gut setup @ 60. I added two grams of lead @ 3 and 9 and another two grams under the grip. I had great success with it, but it got to my shoulder.

LeeD 11-10-2012 02:12 PM

As said, I just wonder why so many of us are using tensions well higher than what the top 10 ATP pros use?
You can cite multi's, or whatever, but the fact remains, thems hit harder than us, so why are we using 60lbs. in a normal sized racket (90-100)?
And with frame stiffnesse's getting close to 70, we should DECREASE string tension.

MikeHitsHard93 11-10-2012 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7006603)
As said, I just wonder why so many of us are using tensions well higher than what the top 10 ATP pros use?
You can cite multi's, or whatever, but the fact remains, thems hit harder than us, so why are we using 60lbs. in a normal sized racket (90-100)?
And with frame stiffnesse's getting close to 70, we should DECREASE string tension.

Because we don't have pinpoint placement or racket head angle

robbo1970 11-10-2012 02:53 PM

When I get my 300 re-strung I won't go too high on the tension, I think a lower tension sounds like it would be more comfortable.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse