Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Compare these three synthetic guts (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=445300)

JetFlyr 11-09-2012 10:40 AM

Compare these three synthetic guts

I see that Gosen OGSM, Technifibre, and Kirschbaum can all be bought (in reels) for roughly the same price. I have been using OGSM for several years and, while it's a great cross with a poly, I haven't been terribly impressed with it in a full bed.

How do the Technifibre and Kirschbaum synthetic guts compare to OGSM? I'm trying to decide if I should give one a go (I buy reels) or stay with OGSM.

In years past, I have really liked the feel of PSGD and, believe it or not, Eagnas Perfect Spin.

pvaudio 11-09-2012 11:12 AM

Perfect Spin reminds me of Gamma syn gut, so I like it a lot. out of those three though, the TF will be the best in a full bed, the Gosen the best as a cross, and the Kirschbaum is best in the garbage. Kirschbaum makes poly first and foremost, so it's no surprise that their syn gut is hopeless.

JetFlyr 11-11-2012 06:54 PM

Bump.

Was hoping for a few more comments on this topic from those with experience with these strings.

Thank you.

xFullCourtTenniSx 11-11-2012 10:58 PM

Kirschbaum makes good poly strings.

Gosen is widely known for good, cheap strings. Mainly synthetics, but Gosen Ice (poly) is really good too from what I heard.

Technifibre makes excellent strings. I believe they're the ones who actually manufacture NXT.

It'd probably be easier if you specified which strings you were looking at.

pvaudio 11-12-2012 05:13 AM

^^^He did specify, he's asking about the syn guts. Tecnifibre and Kirschbaum only make one syn gut each.

anubis 11-12-2012 05:52 AM

OP: what are you using it for? Do you just want a cheap reel to have around to string for customers? Stringing crosses? Your "go to" full bed?

JetFlyr 11-12-2012 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anubis (Post 7010493)
OP: what are you using it for? Do you just want a cheap reel to have around to string for customers? Stringing crosses? Your "go to" full bed?

I'd like to know which of them is best in a full bed of synthetic gut. If one of them is best in a full bed, wouldn't it stand to reason that it would also be good as a cross?

I've found the inverse isn't true: I'm satisfied with OGSM as a cross, but not in a full bed. It doesn't play the same as PSGD or Perfect Spin, both of which I like.

I will be using it in dual roles: both as a stand alone full bed synthetic gut, and in hybrids... and for customers and myself.

pvaudio 11-12-2012 08:42 AM

^^^ Your original statement is also not true. Dunlop S-Gut plays fantastic as a cross, but woeful in full. Gamma syn gut plays great in a full bed, but badly as a cross. Same goes for Wilson Stamina and Mantis Power Synthetic.

mikeler 11-12-2012 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pvaudio (Post 7010808)
^^^ Your original statement is also not true. Dunlop S-Gut plays fantastic as a cross, but woeful in full. Gamma syn gut plays great in a full bed, but badly as a cross. Same goes for Wilson Stamina and Mantis Power Synthetic.

I thought Gamma synthetic played OK as a cross but I did like PSGD a little better in that regard.

fortun8son 11-12-2012 04:37 PM

Hard to beat Gamma's colors, although PSGD Silver goes with everything. :)

COPEY 11-13-2012 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetFlyr (Post 7004610)
I see that Gosen OGSM, Technifibre, and Kirschbaum can all be bought (in reels) for roughly the same price. I have been using OGSM for several years and, while it's a great cross with a poly, I haven't been terribly impressed with it in a full bed.

How do the Technifibre and Kirschbaum synthetic guts compare to OGSM? I'm trying to decide if I should give one a go (I buy reels) or stay with OGSM.

In years past, I have really liked the feel of PSGD and, believe it or not, Eagnas Perfect Spin.

I think you prefaced that statement with, "...believe it or not..." because of the name Eagnas. If that's true, hopefully you realize it's not the name; it's all about what feels good to you - period.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pvaudio (Post 7010808)
^^^He did specify, he's asking about the syn guts. Tecnifibre and Kirschbaum only make one syn gut each.

Actually Kirschbaum makes two syn guts. Their premium syn gut comes at a premium price compared to OGSM's, Technnifibre's and their regular syn gut.

I have Technifibre syn gut, but unfortunately I haven't had a chance to test it yet. I have two more sticks coming today, so I should be able to cycle through my string collection a little faster. From what I've read thus far, however, the people who've tried Technifibre said they liked it, that it played a little firmer than OGSM.

JetFlyr 11-13-2012 06:32 AM

What makes a good "stand alone" synthetic gut, (ie, one that is good in a full bed) not a good candidate for a hybrid?

Rabbit 11-13-2012 06:53 AM

I have not used the Kirschbaum syn gut. I have used the TF and Gosen. The Tecnifibre Syn Gut plays very firmly and lasts about an 1 and a half to two hours for me. I bought a reel of the black a while back and it can be strung IMO a little looser due to its firmness

Gosen plays much softer. I liked the feel, but probably should have strung it tighter as control was lacking.

IMO, Babolat SynGut is the best of the bunch (even though you didn't ask about it). The big downside to it is 2X the cost of the other two and it goes really soft after a couple of hours but breaks to make up for that. :)

anubis 11-13-2012 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetFlyr (Post 7010743)
I'd like to know which of them is best in a full bed of synthetic gut. If one of them is best in a full bed, wouldn't it stand to reason that it would also be good as a cross?

I've found the inverse isn't true: I'm satisfied with OGSM as a cross, but not in a full bed. It doesn't play the same as PSGD or Perfect Spin, both of which I like.

I will be using it in dual roles: both as a stand alone full bed synthetic gut, and in hybrids... and for customers and myself.

Crossing and full bed are two COMPLETELY different animals.

You have to remember that often times, folks on the TT forums use hybrids primarily for cost savings. Since the "mains" of the racquet generally defines how the string bed interacts with the ball, then you can cut back costs by stringing the crosses with an inexpensive syn gut. You'll get most of the benefits of the mains, without the huge hit to your wallet.

That's why so many people here like Gosen's OGSM. You can get a reel of it for next to nothing. And if you carefully measure out exactly 16 feet every time you string your crosses, that reel will last you for about 40+ hybrid string jobs!

HOWEVER, in the professional world of tennis, players hybrid for different reasons. They don't do it for cost savings, they do it because they are looking for very specific performance out of their setup. Things that they can't get with a full bed of any particular brand.

For instance: if you need gut in the mains, but a full bed of gut is just too powerful, you can tame that by crossing it with a low powered poly. It will increase the stiffness of the string bed overall, decrease the power level a bit, and add a little bit more spin potential.

So at any rate, in your case, if you're primarily concerned with crossing, then just use Gosen OGSM. It will cost you next to nothing in the long run, somewhere around less than a dollar per string job.

If you want a full bed syn gut, don't use any cheap strings, period. String construction does matter, so does pedigree. Personally, I like Babolat Nv. Y and Prince Original Synthetic Gut. They last a long time, have great feel and durability.

yes, they also make good crossing strings. But any good string will be a good crossing string... its just a matter of whether or not you want to spend extra money for little effect... as it is your mains that are most important in your setup.

Hope this helps!

JetFlyr 11-13-2012 06:14 PM

Anubis,

Good post; puts the whole thing into perspective. Thanks.