Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   References (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Just wondering about your LowBall Offers??? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=445417)

SteveI 11-11-2012 02:43 AM

Just wondering about your LowBall Offers???

Hello All,

I know that we have all had these on frames we have trying to move here. What was your most "are you kidding me" moment? I know it does not hurt to ask for a discount, but recently it seems the lowballing has hit an all time low. :-). Share a story here....

cluckcluck 11-11-2012 06:26 AM

Was trying to sell a couple of Wilson ProStaff Six.One 90's with some sweet strings for $250 (for the pair). I go all kinds of offers, $200, $150, the best was $100 plus a BLX Six.One 90 from the year before (used of course). Needless to say, I didn't end up unloading them.
Typically, when selling or buying, I don't try to negotiate, it's going to be a good price right off the bat.

Fearsome Forehand 11-11-2012 06:34 AM

I was selling a racket, sent pics on request to an asian kid in the LA area.
Don't recall his username but he trades here, I guess.

He made me a rather low offer and I said no thank you. Gave me some nonsense that he was buying the racket for his brother and his brother didn't want to pay that much. I did not believe there really was a brother involved but that the kid thought this would be a clever negotiating ploy. What a tool!

About a week later, I noticed he was running an ad on CL in LA selling the same model racket and using my pics.

Priceless. :roll:

I think the best method is to offer a fair price based on recent sales of comparable rackets and mention in the ad that the price is firm (unless you are willing to go through the haggling process.) Otherwise, offer a higher price than you really want and let the other guy beat you down to the market price. Some people just seem to need to do that. You could be selling Sampras' personal 6.0 for a $1 and they will offer you 50 cents.

canadad 11-15-2012 08:54 PM

I had a current model racquet in 9/10 condition and was offered $40.00 to ship it to the Middle East. Hmmmm....no.

SteveI 11-16-2012 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadad (Post 7019105)
I had a current model racquet in 9/10 condition and was offered $40.00 to ship it to the Middle East. Hmmmm....no.

Wow.... this is a low ball. How much is shipping???? :-)

J011yroger 11-16-2012 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearsome Forehand (Post 7007478)
I was selling a racket, sent pics on request to an asian kid in the LA area.
Don't recall his username but he trades here, I guess.

He made me a rather low offer and I said no thank you. Gave me some nonsense that he was buying the racket for his brother and his brother didn't want to pay that much. I did not believe there really was a brother involved but that the kid thought this would be a clever negotiating ploy. What a tool!

About a week later, I noticed he was running an ad on CL in LA selling the same model racket and using my pics.

Priceless. :roll:

I think the best method is to offer a fair price based on recent sales of comparable rackets and mention in the ad that the price is firm (unless you are willing to go through the haggling process.) Otherwise, offer a higher price than you really want and let the other guy beat you down to the market price. Some people just seem to need to do that. You could be selling Sampras' personal 6.0 for a $1 and they will offer you 50 cents.

AlpineCadet?

J

Fearsome Forehand 11-16-2012 06:31 AM

I don't recall. It was several years ago. I just remember the circumstances. I might still have the emails somewhere but not worth the research.

I think it is okay to use a representative pic as long as you say in the ad it is a representative pic. He, of course, never said that. I wondered if he asked for pics of my racket just because he was too lazy to take his own, or if because his racket did not photograph very well. Who knows?

Most of the adults I have dealt with on here were pretty cool. The kids are another matter and should be avoided at all costs IMHO with a few notable exceptions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadad (Post 7019105)

Middle East? You mean Ohio? :)

Power Player 11-16-2012 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J011yroger (Post 7019532)
AlpineCadet?

J

Lol is that the guy who stalks Joel on here and trolls him all the time? I never got that.

Fearsome Forehand 11-16-2012 06:58 AM

Did a little research out of curiosity. It was not Alpine. It was another guy who actually has quite a few + refs. Not worth debating the matter at this point because it happened 3 or 4 years ago. It just goes to show that different cultures have different norms as to how they conduct business.
Kids have a different culture than adults for one. :)

SteveI 11-16-2012 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearsome Forehand (Post 7019591)
Did a little research out of curiosity. It was not Alpine. It was another guy who actually has quite a few + refs. Not worth debating the matter at this point because it happened 3 or 4 years ago. It just goes to show that different cultures have different norms as to how they conduct business.
Kids have a different culture than adults for one. :)

Very much so .. they have a different culture to be sure. I coach HS sports and I verify that statement. I also have two daughters.. teens. Very much not the same culture.

PED 11-16-2012 04:43 PM

If you are selling anything fairly recent, the tw trade in program makes sense.

I recently traded two sticks in and got 30 more per stick than I would have selling on here. It's a spirit crushing experience to sell on here most of the time, especially dealing with kids.

Almost as bad as the low ballers are the guys who bought a new stick, didn't like it and dont realize the depreciation involved. :). They think they're going to sell for 160 and that's not gonna happen.