Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Clamps are biting the String (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=445418)

mars76 11-11-2012 03:02 AM

Clamps are biting the String

Hi All,

I don't know whether it is normal or what you guys do to minimize the clamp bite on the strings while stringing.

After clamping i can feel the teeth marks on the string. I cut a small paper towel piece and used in between the teeth of the clamp.

Any other suggestions.

Thanks

roadworkky 11-11-2012 03:14 AM

Usually the clamps allow you too loosen them up for larger gauge string. Won't yours adjust?

mars76 11-11-2012 03:16 AM

I am using Alpha Axis and it does have a setting and it looks like what i see on the strings is a normal thing.

How ever i need to adjust my clamps when i string next time.

Thanks

Tennusdude 11-11-2012 04:08 AM

Possible Clamp Issues

If only one side of the clamp is "biting"as you say the string then you may have an issue with the springs needing replacement inside the clamps or the clamp surface may be warped. These issues would most likely only occur after long time use.

Irvin 11-11-2012 05:35 AM

Your clamps should be just tight enough so the string does not slip. You are probably overtightening your clamps.

Tennusdude 11-11-2012 06:24 AM

Polyester is tough sometimes

I have an 18g soft copolyester, It is very tough to tighten the clamps so the string wont slip and also avoid any crushing of the string at least with neos clamps. Seem to do much better with Babolat Star 5 clamps. Although if you dont tighten clamps enough with Star 5 you will shred the poly. If the poly slips through the neos clamp there will most likely be no damage to string in my experience.

Irvin 11-11-2012 07:21 AM

No damage? No tension either. At least you're consistent. LOL I guess now you are going to tell me you make it up on the next pull.

Try using a business card around the string before you clamp it. You may want to clean your clamps good too as the string should not slip.

jim e 11-11-2012 07:29 AM

Irvin is correct, usual cause of slipping is dirty clamps. They need to be kept clean. Once clean, then adjust properly and there should be no issue.
The very 1st pull is usually the hardest one on the string, so that is why I typically back that one up with a starting clamp, then the clamps do not have to be set so tight that they would crush the string.

Irvin 11-11-2012 07:31 AM

Jim e +1 what you said

Tennusdude 11-11-2012 09:05 AM

Of Course!

I should have been more clear. I always make sure that the clamps are not slipping but if i do see that the string has slipped which rarely happens, then I tighten the clamps. I was trying to say that when it does slip, there usually no damage to the string. Boy, Irvin, you are wound up kinda tight! Of course I will admit I am not the best at conveying a message as clearly as you are!

kopfan 11-16-2012 12:44 PM

I always test out both clamp tightness with the string i am using by adding 10 lbs to my reference tension.. making sure the setting on clamp is just tight, no slippage and not damaging the string before hand. Use the part of the string close to the end for the test so that that is no over stretching / dent on the string that will be string onto your racquet.

Oh, btw... a lot of people migh have slippage issue when their fixed clamp's gap is non of equal distance. This can be adjusted with the 2 small allen scew on most fixed clamp.

bugeyed 11-16-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kopfan (Post 7020218)
I always test out both clamp tightness with the string i am using by adding 10 lbs to my reference tension.. making sure the setting on clamp is just tight, no slippage and not damaging the string before hand. Use the part of the string close to the end for the test so that that is no over stretching / dent on the string that will be string onto your racquet.

snip

That's different!?