Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Match play apart from practise play (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=445424)

Failed 11-11-2012 04:57 AM

Match play apart from practise play

Well... ths is a topic that has probably been discussed million times on these forums. This occurence will not be an exception. I have not played an official match for 4 months and I played terrible this weekend. I have practised a lot and worked on being more aggressive and all the strokes have worked nicely in practise. I got onto the court hoping to implement those shots in matchplay, did not work.

I simply got too tense on every single opportunity ball and could not hit a regular shot inside the court. I am a defensive type of a player by mindset so I thought of starting to hit slices only or use moon balls, but that would of have ruined the idea of implementing the aggressive shots. I probably should of have "just" tried to win instead of trying to play a new game in a match.

I will be going to the states to play college tennis next Spring and I want my match play come back to the way it was with the additional changes I have made to my game. I will be playing at least 10 official singles matches and 3-4 doubles matches from this day onwards, but please give me tips to practise under match-like pressure before going there.

Regards,
Failed :D

dominikk1985 11-11-2012 06:38 AM

play a lot of practise matches and don't change your gameplan even if you are losing. even if you lose the first 5 matches that is no problem.

but you absolutely have to use it in matches. a lot of players work on their game in training and then go back to their old tennis when a match becomes close. you won't improve like that.

LeeD 11-11-2012 12:50 PM

You are a Div1 player whether you push, mix it up, or hit aggressive shots.
So? Which one do you want to be? We're not worried about winning or losing matches. We'er worried about you getting better and playing up to your potential.
If you choose safe shots now, you will limit your progression.
if you choose to go for forcing shots and winners, you will raise the potential of your game...ie....hitting better, "pro level" shots.
Which shall it be?

xFullCourtTenniSx 11-11-2012 02:39 PM

Fact: If you want to be a better player and are making significant changes to your game, you should expect to lose every match and should instead focus on nothing else but executing, forcing yourself to implement your changes, and hitting those shots with everything you have (so you get plenty of racket head speed).

Fact: If you want to win every match, you're likely not going to improve much overall unless you're playing against players below your level and have the ability to somehow mentally translate those games to those against players who are as good as or better than you, or are already really solid in every way (and by every way, you can already do everything) and are making very small changes (or fitness and movement).

Just be stubborn about doing it in sets, even knowing you will lose. Keep swinging at it and move your feet even if you know you will miss. Just keep doing it. Eventually, you'll just be going through the motions, with a little bit of intensity from wanting to win, and the balls will start dropping in and you aren't taking anything off the ball. It's all mental really. Play lots of practice matches. Expect to lose. Play thing point by point. Focus on execution.

Failed 11-12-2012 12:32 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys. I am just having a terrible tennis hangover and I am simply not playing that well. I think that because I will be going to the states and because I am not playing near my regular playing level I am getting anxious and worried if my game will be "there" when I get to states. I will be playing matches with some wager on them to make it more match-like.

KenC 11-12-2012 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Failed (Post 7007296)
Well... ths is a topic that has probably been discussed million times on these forums. This occurence will not be an exception. I have not played an official match for 4 months and I played terrible this weekend. I have practised a lot and worked on being more aggressive and all the strokes have worked nicely in practise. I got onto the court hoping to implement those shots in matchplay, did not work.

Happens all the time. The trick is to learn strokes in a stress free environment, but to then practice and perfect them with the same stress as a match. Play to 21 on drills. It is often enough to just say "match point" before sending off the ball. Of course, there is a need for practice, but soon after practicing something you should put what you were working on to the real test and try it out in a set.