Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   We Will Remember Them... (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=445433)

Ash_Smith 11-11-2012 07:50 AM

We Will Remember Them...
 
In memory of those who gave their lives that we may live and in respect of those who continue to do so on this Remembrance Sunday...

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
John McCRae 1915


jaggy 11-11-2012 08:03 AM

Respect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH3-Gt7mgyM

Fearsome Forehand 11-11-2012 08:24 AM

Yes, a lot of people died (or were severely injured) so that the people who often disparage the military can vote and enjoy whatever freedom still exists.

We owe them much.

stringertom 11-11-2012 08:28 AM

My mother, born in Georgia in May 1918, never met her father, killed in France one month before the Armistice to end The War to End All Wars. Sadly, there have been millions more orphans since the false optimism of November 1918.

Fearsome Forehand 11-11-2012 08:37 AM

^ That was a really horrible war. Trench warfare, poison gas, etc. And for what? I have never been able to figure out what that war was about. Plus, it sowed the seeds for an even worse war 20 years later. Sorry for your grandfather.

Ross K 11-11-2012 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ash_Smith (Post 7007723)
In memory of those who gave their lives that we may live and in respect of those who continue to do so on this Remembrance Sunday...

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
John McCRae 1915


Lovely sentiments, Ash. Hauntingly poetic words.

sureshs 11-11-2012 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearsome Forehand (Post 7007767)
Yes, a lot of people died (or were severely injured) so that the people who often disparage the military can vote and enjoy whatever freedom still exists.

We owe them much.

That was true in the old days, not in these days of concocted wars, joystick-controlled drones, and a military-industrial complex collusion of gigantic proportions which demands wars to sustain itself.

Ash_Smith 11-11-2012 10:03 AM

Cheers RK, I have immeasurable respect for those who have served and continue to serve their country.

Sureshs - not in here and not on this day please.

Cheers

stringertom 11-11-2012 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearsome Forehand (Post 7007782)
^ That was a really horrible war. Trench warfare, poison gas, etc. And for what? I have never been able to figure out what that war was about. Plus, it sowed the seeds for an even worse war 20 years later. Sorry for your grandfather.

It also spawned the East/West schism and the resultant Cold War...I doubt the Russian Revolution would have taken hold without the absolute suffering of the Russian populace while the Romanovs participated in The Great War. Think of all the orphans from that ordeal and the subsequent Stalinist purges.

sureshs 11-11-2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ash_Smith (Post 7007914)
Cheers RK, I have immeasurable respect for those who have served and continue to serve their country.

Sureshs - not in here and not on this day please.

Cheers

Sorry, it started with the poster who insulted people and I had to reply to it. You should address him first. Ignorant comments like that result in the herd mentality of the Third Reich and rise of military dictatorships. He makes it seem that everyone should accept everything without thinking for themselves.

Capt. Willie 11-11-2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearsome Forehand (Post 7007782)
^ That was a really horrible war. Trench warfare, poison gas, etc. And for what? I have never been able to figure out what that war was about. Plus, it sowed the seeds for an even worse war 20 years later. Sorry for your grandfather.

Yes, basically it set the stage for everything that happened in the 20TH Century.

Ash_Smith 11-11-2012 11:04 AM

Great to see Andy with the poppy on his sleeve...


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse