Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Superstitions and Quirks on the Court (What are Yours?) (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=445473)

USS Tang 11-11-2012 05:24 PM

Superstitions and Quirks on the Court (What are Yours?)

As for me:
1. If I serve a let, I always use the second ball in my pocket next, even if my opponent hits the first ball right back to me.
2. When receiving serve in the deuce court, the word "Prince" on my racket handle is right side up. In the ad court, it is upside down.
3. If I am pulled off the court during a point, once it is over I always cross a sideline to get back on the court for the next point. In another words, I do not walk down the sideline around to the baseline.
4. When serving, I never use the ball from the previous point for my first serve.
These are iron-clad rules. I do not allow any variance.
Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to my psychiatrist's office for my weekly appointment.

Say Chi Sin Lo 11-11-2012 05:37 PM

I don't have one. I don't like to be set in my ways. That way I won't flip out when things don't exactly according to me.

SoBad 11-11-2012 05:59 PM

No red shirts for me.

Fuji 11-11-2012 06:19 PM

When serving, if I won the point with a ball, I like to serve with said ball again. That's pretty much my only nuance I can think of.

I do groan/growl loudly when I make silly shots or extremely taxing shots however. It's pretty bad. Most people just ignore it thank goodness haha.

-Fuji

MikeHitsHard93 11-11-2012 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuji (Post 7009608)
When serving, if I won the point with a ball, I like to serve with said ball again. That's pretty much my only nuance I can think of.

I do groan/growl loudly when I make silly shots or extremely taxing shots however. It's pretty bad. Most people just ignore it thank goodness haha.

-Fuji

I do the same thing on serve with a well served ball. If I hit a let, I use that ball again.

With my pro open, I have gotten so I can only play with the yellow side up.

I twirl my racket in my hands like fed does haha. Not BECAUSE he does it, it has just become a habit that I can't go without and it was actually acquired before I started watching tennis channel

The Meat 11-11-2012 06:49 PM

1. Every time I hit a backhand and get set up to hit a forehand I twirl my racquet to adjust.
2. When I serve a let I grab a new ball and rotate it out with the one in my pocket to serve it.
3. I twirl my racquet a couple of times before I serve until I get the perfect position for my grip.

Bobby Jr 11-11-2012 06:51 PM

I don't wear matching gear (as-in: matching ranges of clothing. Complimentary colours are still good to go)... Matching gear on club players is the sign of a kook in my experience.

Bergboy123 11-11-2012 07:09 PM

I squeal like a little girl when I miss a winner that would have been sexy

PhrygianDominant 11-11-2012 10:21 PM

I toss my racquet into my off hand after points. It doesn't flip or anything. I just kind of throw it in stride as I am walking back to the line from one hand to the other. I catch it at the throat and that hand stays there until I return serve again, of if I am serving until I get back to the line, pick up balls, or what have you...

I never knew I did this until a few weeks ago, so I can't tell you why I started.

I kind of wish I had some more interesting ones, I will have to see if I can develop some.

Ash_Smith 11-12-2012 05:29 AM

When I used to play I would never step on the lines, or if i accidentally did with one foot, I would have to immediately step on the same line with the other foot to cancel it out! I'm not a superstitious person either!

Cheers

come to think of it, I still do this now! weird!