Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   VS Starting (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=445496)

Irvin 11-12-2012 04:02 AM

VS Starting

I have been using the old VS Starting knot for all knots. It works especially well on tying off poly almost eliminating drawback completely. Does anyone else use this?

Roger Wawrinka 11-12-2012 01:08 PM

I have used this before, but I like using a starting clamp because they are all finishing knots, I think it looks a bit cleaner, and I like that there is little to no mushrooming at all.

But it is a pretty cool knot though:)

Irvin 11-12-2012 01:15 PM

I don't use this knot as a starting knot either only for tie offs. I use a staring clamp too when I start crosses most of the time (two piece.) I just noticed it was great for tying off poly. Easy to tie with very little drawback. I tighten it just like a parnell or pro knot.

GlenK 11-13-2012 04:40 AM

I use the Wilson pro-knot for all my knots. Just like the looks of it better than anything I've tried..

Irvin 11-13-2012 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlenK (Post 7013807)
I use the Wilson pro-knot for all my knots. Just like the looks of it better than anything I've tried..

So did I until just recently. Give it a try on your next string job and see how it works out for you. I don't think you will be disappointed.

cluckcluck 11-13-2012 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlenK (Post 7013807)

+1, I've been using the pro knot for since the beginning of 2012, not a single problem and I find they tie off nice and close to the grommet/frame.

Roger Wawrinka 11-13-2012 09:48 AM

+1, me too. From what I know, most pro stringers use the pro knot as well.

bigmalik76 11-13-2012 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 7013822)
So did I until just recently. Give it a try on your next string job and see how it works out for you. I don't think you will be disappointed.

I started using Pro knot on your recommendation and have been very satisfied with it. I guess I will trust your recommendation again and give it a try :)

Irvin 11-13-2012 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigmalik76 (Post 7014213)
I started using Pro knot on your recommendation and have been very satisfied with it. I guess I will trust your recommendation again and give it a try :)

I think the Pro knot is a great knot and really easy to tie off, easier than this one. But I think this one works well in eliminating drawback. Works especially well with poly string. I dont think you can go wrong with the Parnell, Pro or VS starting knot. And if you want to use this one for a starting knot it should work well for that too. I don't think the Pro and Parnell knots would work well for a starting knot.

cluckcluck 11-13-2012 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 7015012)
I think the Pro knot is a great knot and really easy to tie off, easier than this one. But I think this one works well in eliminating drawback. Works especially well with poly string. I dont think you can go wrong with the Parnell, Pro or VS starting knot. And if you want to use this one for a starting knot it should work well for that too. I don't think the Pro and Parnell knots would work well for a starting knot.

The pro knot works fine as a starting knot if you're not directly pulling tension on it.

The Meat 11-13-2012 10:15 PM

Does this work for tie offs where there is little space between the main and cross? (Six One Tour two-piece cross tie off)

Lakers4Life 11-13-2012 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Meat (Post 7015336)
Does this work for tie offs where there is little space between the main and cross? (Six One Tour two-piece cross tie off)

Yes, it's the perfect knot for those.

Irvin 11-13-2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cluckcluck (Post 7015298)
The pro knot works fine as a starting knot if you're not directly pulling tension on it.

Not sure what you mean by pulling directly. I would think you would want to pull on the top cross is that is what you mean.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Meat (Post 7015336)

With very little space it is going to be difficult to tie any knot if you tie it between the intersecting string and the frame. But if the anchor string is above the intersection string it works fine. You don't have to tie the knot between the intersecting string and the frame if the anchor string is above the intersecting string it slides right over it.

cluckcluck 11-14-2012 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 7015361)
Not sure what you mean by pulling directly. I would think you would want to pull on the top cross is that is what you mean.

Not if you're using flying clamps. You would need to weave the first two top crosses.

Irvin 11-14-2012 11:47 AM

^^Yes I guess that is true but you sure would have a loose top cross string. Especially if using a poly string. I would prefer to use a starting clamp on the top cross and tie it last.

cluckcluck 11-14-2012 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 7016190)
^^Yes I guess that is true but you sure would have a loose top cross string. Especially if using a poly string. I would prefer to use a starting clamp on the top cross and tie it last.

I don't think I've had many problems with a loose top string. I mean, surely in the beginning but not recently. But you're right.

pvaudio 11-14-2012 02:22 PM

So basically the only difference between this and a Parnell is that instead of after performing the first OUT, you go OUT again below the top hitch and not through the top hitch?

Irvin 11-14-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pvaudio (Post 7016507)
So basically the only difference between this and a Parnell is that instead of after performing the first OUT, you go OUT again below the top hitch and not through the top hitch?

That is right.

pvaudio 11-14-2012 06:00 PM

Hmm, I will give this a shot next time I string a racquet. I do love the Pro knot though, and as far as I know, I'm the only stringer in my area who uses it. Every other stick I've seen has either been a Parnell or DHH.

stringwalla 11-17-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cluckcluck (Post 7015298)

Witnessed this being done on Nadal's frame. Blast 15 @55lbs.

Stringer was worried the starting clamp was damaging (crushing) the Blast at that bend and might cause premature breakage.

Love the Wilson knot for it's look and ease of application-