Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Nadal's performances have affected tournament significance (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=445536)

McEnroeisanartist 11-12-2012 08:58 AM

Nadal's performances have affected tournament significance

Does anyone else think that Federer's achievement of 6 championships at the ATP Tour World Finals is underrated because his biggest rival, Nadal, has only reached one final there in his career, so it must not be that important of a tournament (some call it a glorified exhibition).

While Nadal's achievement of 7 French Opens has been overrated because his biggest rival, Federer, has done so well there and Nadal has consistently beat him there.

kishnabe 11-12-2012 09:07 AM

It just *******s who discredit WTF worth.

Prisoner of Birth 11-12-2012 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McEnroeisanartist (Post 7010841)
Does anyone else think that Federer's achievement of 6 championships at the ATP Tour World Finals is underrated because his biggest rival, Nadal, has only reached one final there in his career, so it must not be that important of a tournament (some call it a glorified exhibition).

While Nadal's achievement of 7 French Opens has been overrated because his biggest rival, Federer, has done so well there and Nadal has consistently beat him there.

LOL, only on this forum and only ***** call the WTF a glorified exhibition. That said, the French Open is worth about 5 times as much as a WTF title.

The Bawss 11-12-2012 09:10 AM

Sorry, this thread is a bad thread.

The Bawss 11-12-2012 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prisoner of Birth (Post 7010875)
LOL, only on this forum and only ***** call the WTF a glorified exhibition. That said, the French Open is worth about 5 times as much as a WTF title.

Lol what? Gaudio won the FO, Ferrero won the FO, Muster won the FO, Chang won the FO. These clowns never won anything "big" other than the FO. It certainly isn't worth 5 WTFs.

Prisoner of Birth 11-12-2012 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bawss (Post 7010886)
Lol what? Gaudio won the FO, Ferrero won the FO, Muster won the FO, Chang won the FO. These clowns never won anything "big" other than the FO. It certainly isn't worth 5 WTFs.

I'd rather be Gaudio than 5 Davydenkos ;)

Murrayfan31 11-12-2012 09:19 AM

Nadal hates indoors. So this is a bad thread no doubt.

nikdom 11-12-2012 09:19 AM

Didn't affect the USO all those years Nadal wasn't showing up in the late stages let alone win it.

Don't see any merit to OP's argument.

veroniquem 11-12-2012 09:22 AM

Quote:

7 at any slam cannot be overrated. Are you kidding? I can't believe Fed fans are getting so out of control before Fed even wins the damn thing. How foolish they're gonna look if he loses.

The Bawss 11-12-2012 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veroniquem (Post 7010913)
7 at any slam cannot be overrated. Are you kidding? I can't believe Fed fans are getting so out of control before Fed even wins the damn thing. How foolish they're gonna look if he loses.

He ain't losing it. Book it.

Prisoner of Birth 11-12-2012 09:24 AM

Quote:

Federer doesn't lose. He lets his opponent win :twisted:

McEnroeisanartist 11-12-2012 09:29 AM

Quote:

I never predicted that Federer would win today or the tournament for that matter. I predicted that Federer would lose to Del Potro in the third round robin match and in the semifinals to Murray.

I just think Federer's record at the tournament is underrated and the importance of the French Open has been elevated largely due to Nadal winning it so many times and defeating the Greatest Player of All Time 5 times there.

woodrow1029 11-12-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

and in 2 years, Federer knocked Nadal out in the semis. Do you take that into account at all?

Towser83 11-12-2012 09:50 AM

Nadal winning 7 RG title is not over-rated. It's an amazing achievement.

Though some people do under rate the WTF, and we know why.

veroniquem 11-12-2012 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McEnroeisanartist (Post 7010934)
I never predicted that Federer would win today or the tournament for that matter. I predicted that Federer would lose to Del Potro in the third round robin match and in the semifinals to Murray.

I just think Federer's record at the tournament is underrated and the importance of the French Open has been elevated largely due to Nadal winning it so many times and defeating the Greatest Player of All Time 5 times there.

Nothing that Fed does is underrated on this board. There's a new thread popping up every time he hits a winner. For the WTF streak, multiply that by 200. Scary.

6-1 6-3 6-0 11-12-2012 10:14 AM

wangs78 11-12-2012 10:19 AM

Quote:

Yes - definitely. Nadal gets a lot of cred for his FO wins because most of them came against Federer. It's unfair because in reality the reverse should be true - that Fed gets cred for winning things like the WTF AND making the FO finals so many times. But fans and analysts tend to just remember that Fed lost to Nadal in FO finals. It's unfortunate but what can you do.

jokinla 11-12-2012 10:21 AM

Nads only has 2 finals at the US Open, so what, it's a great tournament, and the WTF is just a notch below that, irregardless of what Nads has or hasn't done there.

batz 11-12-2012 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kishnabe (Post 7010864)
It just *******s who discredit WTF worth.

This. Just as it is only *******s who discredit OG worth. Decent fans of both players see both events for what they are - the biggest prizes after the slams.

woodrow1029 11-12-2012 10:29 AM

If my calculations are correct, Nadal beat Federer 5 times at Roland Garros out of his 7 victories (4 times in finals, and 1 time in SF).

Out of Federer's 6 WTF championships, he has beaten Nadal 4 times (1 in a Final, 2 in SF, and once in RR play). In the 2 SF years, how is it Federer's fault that Nadal ended up in the other SF?

Also, is it just me, or does the OP have "underrated" and "overrated" backwards for what he is trying to insinuate?