Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Any string lasting better than SPPP? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=445559)

NLBwell 11-12-2012 01:24 PM

Any string lasting better than SPPP?

Signum Pro Poly Plasma has been the consensus choice for longest lasting poly in terms of tension stability and time before it goes dead. Are there any other strings that have come out that last longer?
I'm looking for the longest lasting poly cross for a gut/poly hybrid. Not all that concerned with other properties of the string, since the gut is the main factor and the SPPP gives enough spin. SPPP has worked best so far of the few ones I've tried.

Doubles 11-12-2012 02:13 PM

If you want a gut/poly hybrid that will play well for a long period of time, then look no further than SPPP.

fortun8son 11-12-2012 03:42 PM

TF RedCode is right up there, too.
Better? No. Different? Yes.

Lux 4G has been getting some great reviews. May be worth a shot.

J011yroger 11-12-2012 03:49 PM

Ewww. SPP is too gooey to use as a cross.

I guess if you are just after longevity, but still... Why?

J

Doubles 11-12-2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J011yroger (Post 7012864)
Ewww. SPP is too gooey to use as a cross.

I guess if you are just after longevity, but still... Why?

J

Not everyone breaks strings every few hours like you do, J. If someone is looking for durability and longevity from a gut/poly hybrid, odds are they'll find SPPP to be firm enough.

crazyups 11-12-2012 08:11 PM

How about silverstring?

ChicagoJack 11-12-2012 08:53 PM

Hi NLBwell,

Exactly when a string goes "dead" and exactly what a "dead" string is... is highly subjective, as players describe dead string as all sorts of things. Tension maintenance however, is one of the most straight forward measurements in all of tennis, and Luxilon 4G is the current champ. At a starting tension of 51 lbs., 4G ranks #1. SPPP ranks #47 best out of 239 polys tested. At the Wilson event I recently attended, all the frames were strung with 4G. The rep mentioned that it's just about the only practical choice for the new super open, string munching, 99s and 105s. He also hinted there will be a 14g version at some point. A bit too stiff for my arm, but I liked what I could do with the ball. Very control oriented, and spin friendly.

- Jack

J011yroger 11-13-2012 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doubles (Post 7013121)
Not everyone breaks strings every few hours like you do, J. If someone is looking for durability and longevity from a gut/poly hybrid, odds are they'll find SPPP to be firm enough.

I'm not talking about the softness of the string itself, but the actual surface feel of it. The gooier/stickier string will impede the gut sliding across it.

The person would have to be pure flat, or touch, or volley type of player to not reap benefits from a slick cross with a gut main.

The slicker main would be even more beneficial to one who did not swing particularly fast.

J

parasailing 11-13-2012 09:25 PM

Ltec 4S is my favorite hybrid to use in a cross with gut mains. Ever since I used this setup, I have stopped testing out other strings unless someone tells me that they found X string to be better than Ltec.

netguy 11-13-2012 09:50 PM

Silverstring is the one for me!