Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pro Match Results and Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Favorite things about 2012 (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=445564)

kaku 11-12-2012 01:48 PM

Favorite things about 2012

Well, 2012 was pretty damn good, so I thought I might make a thread to discuss everybody's favorite (and least favorite) things about 2012

Also, link to a 2012 prediction thread made at the beginning of the year. Always fun to look back (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=407701)

Favorites: Every GS Final, Murray winning a GS and OG, Fed defying age to win a GS, Nadal getting some revenge against Novak

Least Favorite: Murray losing the Wimbledon Final, Nadal missing half the year (hard to believe we haven't seen him play since June)

Warmaster 11-12-2012 01:55 PM

I liked Federer's resurgence, played so much better than in 2010, 2011. Wimbledon 2012 was my favourite moment of the year.

The AO was also memorable with Djokovic winning 2 5 setters in a row (5 hours vs Murray, 6 hours vs Nadal).

Murray's emotional win at the Olympics was nice to see and I'm glad he finally won his first major.

WTF was also entertaining, especially the final.

Clay season was pretty boring to me, Nadal is just too good and it has become too predictable, the only entertaining part was everyone whining about the blue clay :)

norbac 11-12-2012 01:55 PM

Four different GS winners.
Ferrer finally getting a Masters title.
Murray's OG and US Open wins.
Murray/Djoker AO SF.

FEDERERNADAL13 11-12-2012 01:56 PM

Fed getting Wimby #7, Murray finally getting a slam. Fed getting #1 back and smashing the previous record.

Going to Cincy and watching Rogi own in the 2nd round.

I hope 2013 can compete! :)

nikdom 11-12-2012 01:57 PM

Favorites -
Roger winning Wimbledon and getting back to No.1
Murray finally winning his first slam

Least-
Roger losing the Olympics gold match
The whole French Open plus clay season

Tennis_Hands 11-12-2012 01:59 PM

Wimbledon 2012!

After that:

The Legend reclaiming the #1 ranking and breaking the record for numer of weeks at the top
Del Potro's return
The blue clay controversy
The sparks from a couple of young up and comers
Murray's first Major title and OG on grass.
Djokovic rising to the challenge to keep his status as the #1 Player in the world and YE#1 for a second consecutive year.

Clarky21 11-12-2012 02:01 PM

The only thing I liked about 2012 was seeing Andy finally win a slam. He deserved it,and finally got it.

zagor 11-12-2012 02:05 PM

I'd just say that on the whole 2012 has been one of my favourite tennis seasons.

Finally having 4 different slam winners with all of them being great players in their own right was just awesome.

Bobby Jr 11-12-2012 02:06 PM

This year was a great year for tennis - especially Murray's first major and Federer winning Wimbledon again - but one thing that stood out was how utterly crap the claycourt season has become.

It is just monotonous, mindless tennis for the most part which is a poor spectacle compared to the rest of the calendar. It actually made the variety that random blue clay threw into the mix a refreshing change - if only because it forced players to adjust.

nikdom 11-12-2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby Jr (Post 7012537)
This year was a great year for tennis but the one thing that stands out for me is how utterly crap the claycourt season has become. It is just monotonous tennis for the most part which is poor compared to the rest of the calendar in terms of vibe and intensity/urgency/spectacle. It actually made the variety that blue clay threw into the mix a refreshing change - if only because it forced players to adjust.

100% agree. The blue clay was a nice change. Unfortunately it won't be back apparently.

Gonzo_style 11-12-2012 02:08 PM

Great season, first time after 2003 that we have 4 Slam winners

Favorite things: AO and OG finals

Clarky21 11-12-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby Jr (Post 7012537)
This year was a great year for tennis - especially Murray's first major and Federer winning Wimbledon again - but one thing that stood out was how utterly crap the claycourt season has become.

It is just monotonous, mindless tennis for the most part which is a poor spectacle compared to the rest of the calendar. It actually made the variety that random blue clay threw into the mix a refreshing change - if only because it forced players to adjust.

Translation: Nadal won too much. :lol:

tennis_pro 11-12-2012 02:12 PM

Favorite parts:

-Federer winning Wimbledon and getting back to no 1, also winning 3 Masters which is almost as many as he won in 2008-2011 combined.

-The fact that we had 4 different major champions instead of 1 (or 2) which made the season very interesting

-Nadal missing 6 months of the season which pretty much means that he won't get back to the top 2 until 2013 is done and dusted

-a new face that could mess up in the rankings next year - that is Janowicz

-blue clay introduced which was a fresh experience

-Nadal being upset by Rosol

Least favorite parts:

-Djokovic being screwed up in the French open final, he was in the middle of an epic comeback before they had to stop

-Federer losing the Gold medal match at the Olympics

-The fact that players ranked 8th and lower have absolutely nothing to say against the top guys

-The fact that the tour is still mostly a grindfest. Is it too much to ask to have at least 2-3 big tournaments where you don't have to grind to win?

Prisoner of Birth 11-12-2012 02:12 PM

1. Federer winning Wimbledon
2. Federer finally edging out Sampras's 286 to get to an unprecedented 300+ weeks at #1
3. Murray winning his first Slam. Been looking forward to it ever since AO, 2010
4. Murray winning Gold for Britain at Wimbledon. Was hoping for a Federer win but this was the next best thing. And it's not like Federer walked away empty-handed
5. Del Potro crying tears of joy after winning Bronze for his country
6. Nadal putting Djokovic in his place at Roland Garros :twisted:
7. Djokovic backing up his insane year with another really good one

Rock Strongo 11-12-2012 02:29 PM

I liked this season. We got monumental upsets, great comebacks, and some epic matches coupled with the low points of people retiring.

My favorite things were the upsets. We got Rosol and his absolutely brilliant fifth set against Nadal, Marray/Nielsen shocking the entire world of doubles tennis and taking the Wimbledon crown, Patrik Rosenholm showing what potential he has defeating Monfils (shame so few people saw that match), Jerzy Janowicz' rise to fame at the Paris Masters, and Andy Murray FINALLY winning a slam. I almost forgot about the comeback kid (well, he's not really a kid anymore) Brian Baker, who went on to show that giving up is futile.

Also, BLUE CLAY, I WANT YOU BACK!!! Really, the best surface of the last few years. Beautiful and fast.

There are probably some other moments, like the Tsonga-Raonic match at the Olympics (liked that one for its insanity), and Team GB in the mixed doubles (too bad that Laura couldn't keep her nerves at bay at the end, but she played superbly)

Disapppointments were the retirements. My favorite players both said thank you and good-bye at the US Open, then another slam winner went in Ferrero, probably the last real flamboyant top player of the last few years in Gonzo (we lost two racquet smashers this year!) and finally Ljubo. A bit disappointed in Rosol aswell. He had every opportunity to capitalize on the second round victory against Nadal and promtly went away in the next round.

Oh, the AO final. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

EDIT: HOW COULD I FORGET ROBIN? I hope he's back early next year and demolishes Rafa at the FO again!

Murrayfan31 11-12-2012 02:31 PM

I liked WTF 2012 the most. Especially Fed losing.

The Bawss 11-12-2012 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis_pro (Post 7012568)
Favorite parts:

-Federer winning Wimbledon and getting back to no 1, also winning 3 Masters which is almost as many as he won in 2008-2011 combined.

-The fact that we had 4 different major champions instead of 1 (or 2) which made the season very interesting

-Nadal missing 6 months of the season which pretty much means that he won't get back to the top 2 until 2013 is done and dusted

-a new face that could mess up in the rankings next year - that is Janowicz

-blue clay introduced which was a fresh experience

-Nadal being upset by Rosol

Least favorite parts:

-Djokovic being screwed up in the French open final, he was in the middle of an epic comeback before they had to stop

-Federer losing the Gold medal match at the Olympics

-The fact that players ranked 8th and lower have absolutely nothing to say against the top guys

-The fact that the tour is still mostly a grindfest. Is it too much to ask to have at least 2-3 big tournaments where you don't have to grind to win?

On a scale ranging from 1 to 10, how much do you hate Nadal's guts and why?

The Bawss 11-12-2012 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murrayfan31 (Post 7012659)
I liked WTF 2012 the most. Especially Fed losing.

That was a great moment, granted. But who can look past grandpa geriatric Fed spanking Murray with his zimmerframe?

tennis_pro 11-12-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bawss (Post 7012721)
On a scale ranging from 1 to 10, how much do you hate Nadal's guts and why?

It's a combination of things. In one sentence - he's the epitome of everything I hate about a tennis player.

veroniquem 11-12-2012 02:56 PM

Highlights of 2012:
- Longest and most dramatic AO final ever
- Nadal re-owns clay in style (and with panache).
- Fed defies his age and wins a slam
- Murray wins his 1st slam and Olympics in front of home crowd.
- Djoko gets POTY for the second consecutive year.