Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Other Equipment (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   How to lead tape a 25 inch racquet to make it 12oz? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=445592)

high and deep 11-12-2012 06:42 PM

How to lead tape a 25 inch racquet to make it 12oz?

I'd like to lead tape a pure drive jr 25 inch racquet to make it 12 oz from the current weight of 8 7/8 oz. If I put 2 strips of 1/2 inch lead tape x 5 inches x .5 grams per inch = only 10 grams!! I need 28.3 grams to equal one oz, but I need almost three x this amount and I'm afraid I would build the grip up too much making it too big for my kid. There is no butt cap to open up and insert fishing weights. Any other ideas?

I'd like to create a racquet equal in weight to what I used growing up so my son can feel what it is like. He likes the weight of some of the old wooden racquets I have laying around, but they are just too much length for him to swing well.

The Meat 11-12-2012 07:14 PM

That is a whole lot of lead tape to boost up the weight around 3-4 ounces. It's going to cost a lot but you could put it under your bumper guard, the inside of the hoop, and the handle, and possibly find a heavy weighted lure to put inside the butt cap of the racquet. I think you are better off getting your son a standard length racquet, most junior players play with a regular sized racquet so they don't have to adjust later on.

OHBH 11-12-2012 07:48 PM

That would be way too much lead tape, I doubt it would stay on at that point.
I suggest finding a old graphite racket for a couple bucks and cut the handle down.

high and deep 11-13-2012 03:10 PM

thats a good idea. get a regulation heavy stick and cut off two inches. Then weight it up if I have too...

charliefedererer 11-13-2012 06:31 PM

The amazing thing about lead tape is that even small amounts are noticeable on swinging.

Also, it is incredibly easy at the courts to add and take away bits of lead tape to get the feel you want.

So rather than forcing your son to take such a big jump, why not just add a little of lead tape at a time to the racquet?
Bring lead tape and scissors to the court.

CUSTOMIZING RACQUET WEIGHT & BALANCE http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/lc/customize.html

The Official Lead Tape Placement+Racket Customization Thread
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=309803

Orion3 11-13-2012 10:51 PM

Suggestions:

Consider using the thicker Golf club lead tape or the lead tape they use for making modern 'leaded' windows. Much thicker.

Also, don't forget you will need to balance the racquet by adding weigh inside the trapdoor in the handle. If you are to maintain the current balance, around half the weight will be there. Suggest you use blu-tak or tungsten putty (from fishing shops)

db10s 11-14-2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orion3 (Post 7015399)
Suggestions:

Consider using the thicker Golf club lead tape or the lead tape they use for making modern 'leaded' windows. Much thicker.

Also, don't forget you will need to balance the racquet by adding weigh inside the trapdoor in the handle. If you are to maintain the current balance, around half the weight will be there. Suggest you use blu-tak or tungsten putty (from fishing shops)

I think he said there is no trapdoor buttcap.

high and deep 11-14-2012 02:34 PM

no trapdoor buttcap. I'll look into the golf supplies. My kids will be playing tens orange ball events and any extra zip they can get on the ball will be a bonus. The balls are difficult to hit for winners because of the size of court and low compression.

high and deep 11-14-2012 06:53 PM

I managed to pull the buttcap off and it has two hollow chambers. Now how much tungsten putty can I put in there and what will the weight of it be...hmmm.

Prodigy1234 11-15-2012 01:46 PM

Would that extra zip exist if your son can swing a 12 oz racquet. I know plenty of grown men who can't use a racquet that heavy

high and deep 11-16-2012 07:02 AM

The heavier the better thats what I always say. Gotta have plow through. If a grown man can't use a heavy racquet, he is a girlie man.

high and deep 11-16-2012 07:04 AM

I played a 13 oz racquet at 10, none of this 8 oz stuff. Too much torsional instability and having the ball push the stick around...

Fuji 11-16-2012 01:43 PM

Like you said though he's using orange balls, I literally can hit those with a ping pong paddle... Not much torsional stability is needed to whollop the heck out of those things! :razz:

-Fuji

LeeD 11-16-2012 03:24 PM

Have him choke up on the handle, making it 2" shorter and easier to swing.....with YOUR racket.

high and deep 12-22-2012 05:38 PM

so I weighted up the racquet to 10oz from 8 7/8 and this plays very well according to my son. He feels like he has more control and power is coming with less effort. He has used the racquet for over a week and no pain or discomfort. The only issue is that I can't get the putty to stick in the top of the racquet shaft. I shoved cotton all the way down the shaft, but I think it settled and now when the ball is hit there is a clunk clunk from the tungsten moving.

Anybody know a cure for this?

I was thinking of using glue to keep it in place but if I want to modify the racquet in the future that would not be an easy fix.