Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Average American is so ill-informed on tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=445596)

psYcon 11-12-2012 07:44 PM

Average American is so ill-informed on tennis
 
It's fairly irritating. Sometime back while in office I saw a co-worker of mine, a guy in his late 30s rambling about some football match to another. He then asks me if I saw such and such match, and I told him I am more of a tennis fan. He had this look on his face :confused: like he had almost never heard of that sport before. I asked him if he knew about Roger Federer or Nadal , and he gave me this blank stare. He had not even heard of Pete Sampras or Andre Agassi. The only guy he had 'heard' about was McEnroe.

Honestly, after that exchange, I started distancing myself from that guy. I don't care how unpopular a sport tennis is in the US now. How can someone not even have heard of these legendary players?? :evil:

ollinger 11-12-2012 07:46 PM

Gee, that example of one person really proves your point about the "Average American"!!

psYcon 11-12-2012 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ollinger (Post 7013305)
Gee, that example of one person really proves your point about the "Average American"!!

More or less what I have noticed. This was an extreme example I agree but there are others out there who haven't heard of Federer or Nadal at all but at least can remember US greats like Agassi or Sampras.

Golden 11-12-2012 07:48 PM

Welcome to the United States buddy.

In all seriousness, I'd say don't let it bother you. People will have certain tastes, and apparently tennis isn't his. How would you feel if a friend who is also a basketball fan distanced himself because you didn't know a thing about basketball?

And isn't this in the wrong section?

Sabratha 11-12-2012 07:49 PM

Ignorance among people is common in this day and age.

Power Player 11-12-2012 07:51 PM

If you live in the US and wont socialize with people who dont know much about tennis, i hope you already have a GF because that will be some tough sledding..lol.

Bartelby 11-12-2012 07:54 PM

Whenever you see a tennis racquet in popular culture there's a rich dude holding it. Its just not NASCAR so the average dude's not going to like it.

Antonio Puente 11-12-2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psYcon (Post 7013298)
a guy in his late 30s rambling about some football match to another. He then asks me if I saw such and such match, and I told him I am more of a tennis fan.

So, you knew nothing about the football game, yet decided to judge him for his lack of tennis knowledge?

Here's an idea: when you meet someone, search for things you have in common with that person instead of focusing on your differences.

JustBob 11-12-2012 07:59 PM

Must be a Giants or Eagles fan. They are usually not very bright. ;)

OHBH 11-12-2012 08:01 PM

It is simply a less popular sport in the U.S, tennis history or the history of any sport for that matter is "required reading". Folks in the U.S don't know a lick about soccer either because it is not popular. You only see a problem because you cannot put yourself in their shoes.

Sabratha 11-12-2012 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bartelby (Post 7013328)
Whenever you see a tennis racquet in popular culture there's a rich dude holding it. Its just not NASCAR so the average dude's not going to like it.

You're saying tennis isn't advertised to everybody like every other sport in existence?

psYcon 11-12-2012 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonio Puente (Post 7013332)
So, you knew nothing about the football game, yet decided to judge him for his lack of tennis knowledge?

Here's an idea: when you meet someone, search for things you have in common with that person instead of focusing on your differences.

actually I do know the basics of Football and followed it on and off at the college football level. That guy almost hadn't heard of the sport itself which is a deal-breaker.

Sumo 11-12-2012 08:07 PM

You're giving tennis a bad name.

The Meat 11-12-2012 08:11 PM

I have no idea what he's talking about, from back home to my current university almost every single person I know has some decent knowledge of tennis. Federer and Agassi are the names that most of them know.

8F93W5 11-12-2012 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psYcon (Post 7013298)
It's fairly irritating. Sometime back while in office I saw a co-worker of mine, a guy in his late 30s rambling about some football match to another. He then asks me if I saw such and such match, and I told him I am more of a tennis fan. He had this look on his face :confused: like he had almost never heard of that sport before. I asked him if he knew about Roger Federer or Nadal , and he gave me this blank stare. He had not even heard of Pete Sampras or Andre Agassi. The only guy he had 'heard' about was McEnroe.

Honestly, after that exchange, I started distancing myself from that guy. I don't care how unpopular a sport tennis is in the US now. How can someone not even have heard of these legendary players?? :evil:

I'm a citizen of USA and I live in USA. I don't know what country in The America's you're talking about. North? South? Central? Guatemala? Canada? Faulkland Islands?
I don't think it's a bad thing if the average person in any country of The America's can't name any current tennis players. Or players in any sport, members of a band, or actors on TV. I'd never "distance myself" from people for such a silly reason.
I can't name any current professional football (soccer) players. From the past I know of only Pele, Best, Chastain, (sp?) and Maradona. That's all. I even had to google Maradona and Chastain to spell them correctly.
I can't name more than 5 current NFL players, but I can name about 40 from 1972.
Basketball? Maybe 4 current players. 2 of them have tennis connections. Noah, who's first name I forgot and that Sasha (Sharapova's ex bf) guy who's last name I don't know. I've read 4 basketball biographies on older players.
I have read about 120 tennis biographies and I know a few hundred names.
The only ignorant thing about tennis that might have ever bothered me is when people who don't play but love baseball, boxing, basketball or football (the kind played in NFL), real football (soccer), hockey, etc., say that tennis is a sissy sport.

rafafan20 11-12-2012 08:16 PM

Stupid thread, the "average american" probably knows more about tennis than the "average (insert country here)" minus maybe Serbia and Switzerland and that's just because of devotion to one player.

JustBob 11-12-2012 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rafafan20 (Post 7013384)
Stupid thread, the "average american" probably knows more about tennis than the "average (insert country here)" minus maybe Serbia and Switzerland and that's just because of devotion to one player.

Well... no. In countries such as France and Spain for example, tennis is a first tier sport.

luvly 11-12-2012 08:26 PM

I think it depends on what we as tennis fans do. I talk tennis to anyone who will listen and plenty of my friends and family members know who roger and nadal are thanks to me.

Now most of this consist of them teasing me when roger loses but they pay enough attention to know he lost :-)

MAXXply 11-12-2012 08:27 PM

I'm a tennis guy. I enjoy reading most tennis publishing. Lately I've started to embrace (soccer) football beyond the once-every-four-years World Cup. Now I've started to read soccer histories beginning with a scholarly yet breezily written tome the size of a phonebook. A bit like "Soccer: A History by Anthony Beevor", if Anthony Beevor were to write about soccer.

I can't understand the American obsession with college sports, and statistics in American sports.

90's Clay 11-12-2012 08:30 PM

Ehh... Leave us alone.. The best player we have had for the past 10-12 years has been freakin Hole riddened game RODDICK. :(

Its no wonder we are so ill-informed anymore. I get nauseated any time I see an american on the court anymore unless its the Bryan Bros.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse