Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Djoker the current benchmark of all round tennis? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=445618)

JSummers 11-13-2012 03:21 AM

Djoker the current benchmark of all round tennis?

While Federer may have better attacking game, Nadal with impenetrable defense, Djoker may have most balanced game as of late. Murray is close but slightly lacking in attack.

Here's how I'll rate them in terms of Attack/Defense/Movements per their late appearance.

Djoker: 8/8/8
Federer: 9/7/7
Nadal: 7/9/9
Murray: 7/8/8

SStrikerR 11-13-2012 03:24 AM

977 is the biggest number there. Fed wins

dirtballer 11-13-2012 03:37 AM

All round? Novak won 3 points at the net during the whole match yesterday.

MurrayMyInspiration 11-13-2012 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SStrikerR (Post 7013802)

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA love that comment!!!

Alchemy-Z 11-13-2012 03:41 AM

yeah while he has a good game...he does not at the net

so all around can not really be applied.

Rafa has a better net game than Novak

I think Defense is his strongest play...with his agility and spiderman like returns....and not to mention fights off match points like no one else.

djokovic2008 11-13-2012 04:11 AM

Where he excels above all with maybe murray too is that he does not care which side he hits off, when your so strong off both wings you cannot be broken down.

AnotherTennisProdigy 11-13-2012 04:26 AM

I think it's better to call him an all-round baseliner. He has both offense and defense from the baseline but doesn't have the net skills to be removed from the typical baseliner category.

merwy 11-13-2012 04:31 AM

Are you giving Federer a 7 for movement? What are you, stupid?

Funny how in your eyes movement = defense. Federer has got maybe the best footwork of them all. Murray's movement sucks and you should be ashamed to rate his above Federer's.

ETA: Oh and I see that you've given Nadal a 7 for attack. Just because he has a defensive playing style doesn't mean he can't attack. He puts immense pressure on his opponents with his topspin and I think even Federer once said that nobody can do more with an easy ball than Nadal. i.e. he never fails to hit winners on easy shots.

namelessone 11-13-2012 04:41 AM

Djokovic is starting to be the benchmark of the near perfect baseliner.

Good offense, OUTSTANDING defense, can do special shots(especially the dropper), has a decent lob, terrific returner. It's very hard to put anything past him.

However, he does have trouble with overheads and his net play is pretty mediocre so I guess him staying away from the net is a smart move.

BHud 11-13-2012 04:46 AM

If we add "fortitude" to the characteristics, there would only be 3 players up for consideration (even though it may have taken Novak a while to develop it, he certainly has it now)...the red-headed stepchild would be out!

Sim 11-13-2012 05:21 AM

If anything, Federer should be the benchmark of an all-round player (and I'm not a Fed fan "primarily"). All-round player should include baselining as well as volleys and especially overheads which Djokovic is not so great at.

He has a great forehand, good enough backhand (of course this is disputable amongst TT...), and great volleys.

Defense and movement are superb though defense isn't quite as good as the other top 3 as far as retrieving is concerned. Fed also has the best offense. When I think of another all-round player, I think of Tsonga, but he's lacking in many more areas unlike Fed.

To me, I see Djokovic as a baseliner primarily. That is what he's best at. At times, he is very uncomfortable at net, and if you want to be called the benchmark all-round player, you better know how to S&V as well.

Clay lover 11-13-2012 05:43 AM

Fed is the benchmark of an all-rounder.
Djokovic a baseliner.
Nadal a counterpuncher.
Murray a ...pusher...

VPhuc tennis fan 11-13-2012 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SStrikerR (Post 7013802)

2nd that!:)

Spider 11-13-2012 05:56 AM

Djokovic is an absolute beast from the baseline and I think Murray is the only one, if any, who could probably win more rallies against Djokovic.

It takes a toll to win a point against him.

VPhuc tennis fan 11-13-2012 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clay lover (Post 7013926)
Djokovic a baseliner.
Nadal a counterpuncher.
Murray a ...pusher...

I wouldn't call Djoker as a baseliner. In fact, all 3 of them are more of counterpuncher (first) and baseliner (second). They do best when they face an attack-style as Fed because that gives them some target or triggers some reactions from them. When they faced each other, and were forced to initiate the attack themselves, they seem not to be as comfortable IMO. Not saying they cannot attack, don't get me wrong.

VPhuc tennis fan 11-13-2012 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spider (Post 7013954)
Djokovic is an absolute beast from the baseline and I think Murray is the only one, if any, who could probably win more rallies against Djokovic.

It takes a toll to win a point against him.

Murray? How about Rafa? Already forgotten the AO final this year, and FO final this year too? Not saying I'm a fan of Djoker or Rafa, but just put things in perspective.

Spider 11-13-2012 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VPhuc tennis fan (Post 7013957)
Murray? How about Rafa? Already forgotten the AO final this year, and FO final this year too? Not saying I'm a fan of Djoker or Rafa, but just put things in perspective.

Nadal cannot beat Djokovic from a pure baseline rally perspective. At least not a vast majority of the rallies.

Clay is the only surface Nadal stands a chance against Djokovic.

tennis_pro 11-13-2012 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clay lover (Post 7013926)
Djokovic a baseliner.
Nadal a counterpuncher.
Murray a ...pusher...

x10

/thread

VPhuc tennis fan 11-13-2012 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spider (Post 7013959)
Nadal cannot beat Djokovic from a pure baseline rally perspective. At least not a vast majority of the rallies.

Clay is the only surface Nadal stands a chance against Djokovic.

And Murray can?
I just think Rafa has given Djoker a good (or better) run for his money than Murray. I'm not saying Rafa WON them all, but if I have to rank Murray and Rafa based on their defensive prowess, Rafa will be slightly ahead. That may be because of Rafa's mental attitude.

Spider 11-13-2012 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VPhuc tennis fan (Post 7013969)
And Murray can?
I just think Rafa has given Djoker a good (or better) run for his money than Murray. I'm not saying Rafa WON them all, but if I have to rank Murray and Rafa based on their defensive prowess, Rafa will be slightly ahead. That may be because of Rafa's mental attitude.

Murray's slice puts Djokovic in a lot more uncomfortable position than Nadal's topspin. Murray is able to stay with Djokovic for a long time in most rallies. That can be seen in the last three matches they have played this year.

Like I said, away from clay, from a pure baseline rally perspective, Murray is the only player who comes close to Djokovic. The rest stand very little chance to win the vast majority of the rallies with Djokovic.