Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Strings that "don't move" (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=445623)

bbulla 11-13-2012 05:42 AM

Strings that "don't move"

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a decent textured synthetic string that 'does not move'. I have a customer who had a textured string that he claimed didn't move. I then put him into a different string which he says moves too much. I don't want to give him poly as it doesn't suit his style of play.

Thanks,

Irvin 11-13-2012 06:25 AM

String moves unless you hit a very flat ball. Some string moves back and gives the appearance that it didn't move like Prince Recoil.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/desc...CE-PREC16.html

Irvin 11-13-2012 06:26 AM

You could also try a hybrid with poly crosses.

MAX PLY 11-13-2012 07:00 AM

As Irving said, string moves if you hit with spin. Some of the roughs may move less and Recoil is a thought--you could also recommend adding string savers. You could also recommend he try a String-Thing straightener (which works just ok)--otherwise, there's always golf.

Irvin 11-13-2012 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAX PLY (Post 7014054)
As Irving said, string moves if you hit with spin. Some of the roughs may move less and Recoil is a thought--you could also recommend adding string savers. You could also recommend he try a String-Thing straightener (which works just ok)--otherwise, there's always golf.

Not sure where we are going with this. Is the reason for wanting a string that does move (or has the appearance of not moving) because you want to reduce string breaking or does the customer just not want to see the crocked strings?

bbulla 11-13-2012 08:49 AM

The customer just doesn't want to see crooked strings....no other reason than that. A synthetic or multi is best suited to his style of play, but all he is interested in is strings that don't move.

Others (in the String board) have suggested Prince Premiere Attack.

jim e 11-13-2012 08:55 AM

Are you sure that his previous string was not a textured poly?
Poly strings tend to snap back to position. I cannot see why you got 2 posters recommending Prince recoil, since that string was discontinued a long time ago.

MAX PLY 11-13-2012 10:22 AM

Jim e is right about Recoil being discontinued (I had forgotten that just as I had forgotten it existed prior to the earlier reference--tried it once and hated it) but like so many other items, you can get it if you want it--just check the bay. Nevertheless, not sure that the OP's customer will find exactly what he is looking for.

mikeler 11-13-2012 10:25 AM

Prince Premiere Attack is the best multi that does not move around much but they all move some.

Orion3 11-13-2012 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim e (Post 7014215)
Poly strings tend to snap back to position.

Agree - most likely he had poly strings that gave the appearance of not moving. i.e they snapped back so he thought they hadn't moved.

Once they die however, he will need to restring or get used to straightening.

bbulla 11-13-2012 10:33 AM

The old strings were definitely not poly. To me they looked like a nylon string with a black weave built into it that gave it a raised up feel. Or course, this was 6 months ago that I cut them out and I don't have that good of a memory. :-)

This is a senior with an intermediate level game, so I'm thinking I will go with the Prince.

pvaudio 11-13-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbulla (Post 7014389)
The old strings were definitely not poly. To me they looked like a nylon string with a black weave built into it that gave it a raised up feel. Or course, this was 6 months ago that I cut them out and I don't have that good of a memory. :-)

This is a senior with an intermediate level game, so I'm thinking I will go with the Prince.

Prince Lightning? Wilson SGX? As said, this magic string does not exist.

Ramon 11-13-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbulla (Post 7014389)

Maybe the old string was black RIP Control (the other string I recommended). It is wrapped by a polyolefin ribbon in a helical pattern that looks "raised".

Irvin 11-13-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim e (Post 7014215)
Poly strings tend to snap back to position. I cannot see why you got 2 posters recommending Prince recoil, since that string was discontinued a long time ago.

I didn't recommend recoil I said use a string like recoil. If you look at the bottom of the link I posted you will see similar strings.

struggle 11-13-2012 03:32 PM

find him a string that feels good to him and teach him to straighten his strings if need be??

I've been straightening strings all my tennis years, what's the big deal?

....and i know about poly snapping back, yada yada. i play cheap string (syngut mostly) that i straighten as needed. guess i'm gettin' old....

sounds kinda anal to me, but maybe a soft poly of some sort??

otherwise, continue the whizzing. carry on!

pvaudio 11-13-2012 03:46 PM

^^^Nope, it for some reason bothers people significantly. It is something I will never understand.

Ramon 11-13-2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbuggle (Post 7014935)
find him a string that feels good to him and teach him to straighten his strings if need be??

I've been straightening strings all my tennis years, what's the big deal?

....and i know about poly snapping back, yada yada. i play cheap string (syngut mostly) that i straighten as needed. guess i'm gettin' old....

sounds kinda anal to me, but maybe a soft poly of some sort??

otherwise, continue the whizzing. carry on!

It's not just about being anal. If a synthetic string moves it's a good indication that it's losing a lot of tension and is not a great string for that reason. If a poly is moving, it's a sure sign that it's dead or dying, so if it's moving after 2 hours, it doesn't have good playability duration.

I also notice that strings that don't move give better spin. On top that, since the stringbed stays more consistent during the rally, that means a more consistent response.

Irvin 11-13-2012 04:23 PM

I think all string will move . If they didn't move you would never break a string. No movement, no friction sawing action, and no breakage. String could also move more because they were tensioned too fast, clamped too soon, strung at too low a tension, or any combination of those. Soft string tends to have move friction and move less but when they do move there is more friction and they tend to stay distorted. I would think a smooth string would be better.

pvaudio 11-13-2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramon (Post 7014989)
It's not just about being anal. If a synthetic string moves it's a good indication that it's losing a lot of tension and is not a great string for that reason. If a poly is moving, it's a sure sign that it's dead or dying, so if it's moving after 2 hours, it doesn't have good playability duration.

I also notice that strings that don't move give better spin. On top that, since the stringbed stays more consistent during the rally, that means a more consistent response.

This is not true. Synthetics move because they do not have sufficient elasticity to overcome the inter-string friction. Speaking of which, natural gut also does not stay grid straight as can be seen by many 90s pros picking at their stringbeds. Poly moving, however, tends to be a sign of death. That I agree with.

struggle 11-13-2012 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramon (Post 7014989)

they all move, some snap back.

and actually, the fact that the strings DO move (especially the poly as it snaps back) impart MORE spin, not less. (can someone reference that video study?)

apparently the strings that snap back better (poly) are not really an option for this "client".

we all know that brittle, crackly sound that strings get to.......then it's time.

edit: also, what pvaudio says above!