Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Classic Racquet Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Reunited, and it Feels So Good.......... (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=445634)

michael_1265 11-13-2012 10:22 AM

Reunited, and it Feels So Good..........

For those of you who know this song, my apologies for sticking it in your head for the next day or so.

Compliments of Virginia, who was great to deal with and cut me a very reasonable price, I now have a Donnay Revolutive Apollo, a racquet that I bought new in 1989, but was subsequently borrowed and not returned in 1990 by a college friend (If you are out there, Eric, don't feel safe; I will find you eventually:evil:)

Anyway, I was happy to get it straight from NZ, and it was in nice overall condition, but my heart sank when I saw the Gamma Grip on it. The adhesive in these grips fuses with leather over time, and makes it unlikely to salvage the original grip. I really liked the original leather grip on this model. Amazingly, the Gamma Grip peeled right off, leaving the original completely intact. A little conditioner, and it looks great. I remember liking the hourglass-shaped grip a lot when I originally owned it. This model also came with variable weights that screwed into the handle. It was a bit ahead of its time, and the design was timeless.

Thanks again, Virginia!

t-swede 06-24-2013 04:06 AM

hi can you tell how much the different buttcap inserts weigh ?

are you still playing with this racket on a regular basis ?

regards

joe sch 06-24-2013 05:07 AM

Very nice of Ginny to reunite you two again. I always enjoy helping players find long lost relationships. The Donnay rackets are so much fun to play with. I really admire all my old Agassi type models. That grip is very sexy and really enjoyable to hug. For all who would like to see:
http://s920.photobucket.com/user/woo...ml?sort=3&o=23

max 06-24-2013 07:14 AM

A couple of years ago via the bay I bought a WST Cobalt, which is a sexy purple racquet. I remember sometime in the 90s I was moving on from my Head Graphite Edge (perhaps?) and I tested the Donnay against the Wilson Profile 4.5. Both were great for what I was doing; I went with the Wilson, for no particular reason. It was a toss-up.

but it was interesting to see how I hit with the WST widebody in 2010: really lousy; too much power and much less control. The widebody thing was such hype! Folks just dropped good racquets in favor of heavy, super stuff frames that belted things out. I dropped the Wilson Profile, since I could do zilch at the net with it--hit everything out---and it hurt my shoulders. At that point I went with the Dunlop Max 200 G.

Hannah19 06-24-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe sch (Post 7527472)
Very nice of Ginny to reunite you two again. I always enjoy helping players find long lost relationships. The Donnay rackets are so much fun to play with. I really admire all my old Agassi type models. That grip is very sexy and really enjoyable to hug. For all who would like to see:
http://s920.photobucket.com/user/woo...ml?sort=3&o=23

I like the coke bottle grip. I have a brand new Tecno Explosion 50 with the same shaped handle. It does need a tacky leather grip to make it work for me.

michael_1265 07-22-2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t-swede (Post 7527436)
hi can you tell how much the different buttcap inserts weigh ?

are you still playing with this racket on a regular basis ?

regards

I don't know if I can really play this one again. It needs restringing, and I am afraid the grommet and bumpers might fragment. New ones are apparently unavailable.

SCRAP IRON 11-04-2013 08:41 AM

Peaches wants to know how Herb is doing these days...

Sarcastic 11-04-2013 03:10 PM

Peaches died in 2005. There have been 7 different Peaches over the years.

retrowagen 11-04-2013 03:51 PM

Those were a neat racquet design.

Antonis Volanis, who had a hand in designing that frame (hence the A. Volanis logo), also designed the original Renault Espace minivan, the Look KG196 carbon fiber bicycle frame, and a few other interesting things.

Espace 1:

KG196:

michael_1265 11-05-2013 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retrowagen (Post 7871715)
Those were a neat racquet design.

Antonis Volanis, who had a hand in designing that frame (hence the A. Volanis logo), also designed the original Renault Espace minivan, the Look KG196 carbon fiber bicycle frame, and a few other interesting things.

That's cool. I had no idea. It is a beautiful racquet, especially the hourglass handle.

georgeyew 11-06-2013 10:01 PM

I grew up wanting an Apollo and an Athena. But back then, the new ones were out of my price range. A few years back, I had a chance to purchase a brand new Apollo. But I was disappointed when I saw that the grommets were brittle and completely cracked. Deep down, I still want to own one so that I can check it off my list. I agree, it is a beautiful racquet.

SCRAP IRON 11-08-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarcastic (Post 7871595)
Peaches died in 2005. There have been 7 different Peaches over the years.

So what you're saying is that Herb is doing well with the ladies these days!