Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Junior League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What Software or Apps would you like to see? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=445650)

rschmidt 11-13-2012 12:33 PM

What Software or Apps would you like to see?

Hello,

I'm a software developer as well as a 4.5 tennis player. I write software for Apple platforms as well as web apps. I'm looking to get into the tennis industry and researching what software I could write.

So, I'm wondering if there is a market or demand for tennis software out there. What apps do you wish there existed? Would you be interested in apps that kept score, charted matches and kept stats? What about keeping track of your tournament schedule and matches you've played and scouting reports on opponents, etc.

Thanks,
Rod Schmidt
infiniteNIL Software
www.infinitenil.com

MarTennis 11-13-2012 01:21 PM

Open source and or ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by rschmidt (Post 7014612)
Hello,

I'm a software developer as well as a 4.5 tennis player. I write software for Apple platforms as well as web apps. I'm looking to get into the tennis industry and researching what software I could write.

So, I'm wondering if there is a market or demand for tennis software out there. What apps do you wish there existed? Would you be interested in apps that kept score, charted matches and kept stats? What about keeping track of your tournament schedule and matches you've played and scouting reports on opponents, etc.

Thanks,
Rod Schmidt
infiniteNIL Software
www.infinitenil.com

...web based statistical tracking app.

10ismom 11-13-2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rschmidt (Post 7014612)
Hello,

Thanks,
Rod Schmidt
infiniteNIL Software
www.infinitenil.com

There is "Tennistrak" app. I bought it for my IPad and used it a couple of times. Even if it's helpful, I'd rather watch their matches than follow the stat. It's just my personal preference.

mikeler 11-14-2012 04:28 AM

How about an app to organize LeeD's posts into coherent thoughts?

goran_ace 11-14-2012 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10ismom (Post 7014951)
There is "Tennistrak" app. I bought it for my IPad and used it a couple of times. Even if it's helpful, I'd rather watch their matches than follow the stat. It's just my personal preference.

Therein lies the problem. As much as I'd love to see my stats after a match (or even better: real-time stats during a match), it still requires someone on the sideline to enter the data after each point, which is a tedious task. If you can figure out a way to automate that part of the process you are sitting on a gold mine, otherwise a stat-tracking app doesn't offer any more value than a good old-fashioned clipboard or legal pad.

rschmidt 11-14-2012 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goran_ace (Post 7015749)
Therein lies the problem. As much as I'd love to see my stats after a match (or even better: real-time stats during a match), it still requires someone on the sideline to enter the data after each point, which is a tedious task. If you can figure out a way to automate that part of the process you are sitting on a gold mine, otherwise a stat-tracking app doesn't offer any more value than a good old-fashioned clipboard or legal pad.

I would disagree. Yes, you do have to have someone on the sideline charting your match, but the stats are live and calculated real-time. If you wanted you could glance at them. With a clipboard, you have to do all the calculations after the match (or at least do the calculations by hand).

Also, software can keep records of every match and compute stats over a bunch of matches, or even against a particular player. That's just a couple of examples.

86golf 11-14-2012 07:53 AM

An affordable version of Dartfish. But I'd want that to run on a PC or maybe iPad.

goran_ace 11-14-2012 09:17 AM

Debating the value of an app over simply keeping tally on a piece of paper is moot because either way you still have to find someone willing to pay attention to every point of your match and record stats.

Recording your own stats with an app and viewing real-time info run into a problem with the rulebook:

“Effective immediately, USTA has adopted the International Tennis Federation (ITF) policy relating to electronic devices. ITF policy bans the use of all electronic devices by players at any time during a match, even if the device is only used to play music. So from now on, make sure all iPods, cell phones, Blackberrys, laptops etc. are stowed away before you go on court. Written material may be consulted during a match on the changeover, but remember, you only have a maximum of 90 seconds for a changeover starting with the moment that one point finishes to the time the first serve is struck for the next point. At the end of each set, there is a 120 second break, the same parameters applying.”

sureshs 11-14-2012 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 7015619)
How about an app to organize LeeD's posts into coherent thoughts?

Geniuses with disruptive thinking don't have coherent thoughts - or at least they don't appear coherent to the average person. They involve a lot of cognitive dissonance and contradiction as the subconscious mind keeps generates great ideas but the conscious mind struggles to convey them to a world of stupid people.

mikeler 11-14-2012 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 7016082)
Geniuses with disruptive thinking don't have coherent thoughts - or at least they don't appear coherent to the average person. They involve a lot of cognitive dissonance and contradiction as the subconscious mind keeps generates great ideas but the conscious mind struggles to convey them to a world of stupid people.

So you are saying he is a drug loving California hippie?

sureshs 11-14-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 7016087)
So you are saying he is a drug loving California hippie?

He was, not any more.

lala28m 11-14-2012 04:05 PM

Junior matches, win-loss records grouped together, across age groups. Most good players jump between 12,14,16,18, etc, depending on level. And head to head encounters, maybe two,three years deep. Records like that are always useful when draws come out.

db10s 11-14-2012 04:26 PM

tennislink..... Overhaul the whole thing.

NLBwell 11-18-2012 04:20 PM

^
Yes!!!!!!!!

rschmidt 11-18-2012 04:33 PM

I wish I could, but the USTA doesn't want to share its data.

Crisp 11-18-2012 11:39 PM

As a coach I'd like to see pro swings available on iPad packaged with a dartfish type app. The apps I have seen seem to offer a good analysis package but it is difficult to bring pro swings into the app and there is the problem. The ability to have a side by side comparison with a pro stroke would enhance an app of this type immensely.

10ismom 11-21-2012 07:44 AM

How about an app measuring speed of serves or winners?
Might be a hit.
(#1coach and coach32 yrs will be your first customers)

Apps that work like a Hawk eye or a lie-detector might also help dealing with cheating.....;)

P.S. I'd like to get a free trial of all the above apps please.