Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Tennis books (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=445672)

Playtennis 11-13-2012 05:55 PM

Tennis books

I love reading tennis books.....have read winning ugly, Open by Agassi, The Mental Game, etc. anyone have any other suggestions...love confidence building, mental toughness books. Thanks!

IA-SteveB 11-13-2012 06:22 PM

Hopefully no one mentions Oscar Wegner's books. This thread will go down in flames if that happens. :) Oops.

Winning Ugly by Brad Gilbert is good.

Timbo's hopeless slice 11-13-2012 06:44 PM

I like 'The Inner Game of Tennis'

not technique stuff at all, but useful.

I taught myself to play with 'Lawn Tennis the Australian Way' as a child, but I don't think it is relevant anymore.

beernutz 11-13-2012 07:30 PM

The Art of Doubles

Fuji 11-13-2012 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbo's hopeless slice (Post 7015181)
I like 'The Inner Game of Tennis'

not technique stuff at all, but useful.

I taught myself to play with 'Lawn Tennis the Australian Way' as a child, but I don't think it is relevant anymore.

The Inner Game is great. A bit much for me personally to read all at once. It took me like a month to get through it, just a lot to think about!

(That being said, my lady is a psych major and she picks my brain about tennis related stuff all the time. She is taking an interest in sports psychology! Yay for Fuji getting his brain picked to tiny pieces... :lol: )

-Fuji

Mongolmike 11-14-2012 07:12 AM

I'm reading "The Lure of the Big Game" - A Treatise on Tennis by Vince Ng right now. It has some strategery and tactics, but also some chapters like "Trashtalking", "Finding the Will to Win", "Stop Choking" and "The World of Cheating". So far, not a bad read.

southend 11-14-2012 08:54 PM

I like Design B: How to Play Tennis "In the Zone" by Scott Ford. Elements of his guidance should benefit any player and taking it to the limit (Nirvana) should result in a great game. I don't see much discussion of his concepts, but problems with early preparation and "seeing the ball" are a quick fix using his ideas.

Torres 11-15-2012 12:28 AM

Dave Smith's Coaching Mastery is a good read, particularly if you're interested in development.

'The Lure of the Big Game' (can't remember the name of the author) is also excellent if you're into singles competition.

2ManyAces 11-15-2012 03:53 AM

Reading open now.. Then Sampras biography

tennis tom 11-15-2012 05:44 AM

I've gotten something of value out of every tennis book I've read. For the mental game, books by former Wimbledon top ten player and famed Pepperdine coach, Dr. Allen Fox are great.

Two books I'm currently reading in the hot-tub, slowly, this year are the new book by Marcus P. Cootsona, philosophically titled, "OCCAM'S RACQUET" and the old book by Tilden "SPIN OF THE BALL".

Good books to have in a player's medicine cabinet to help keep them on the courts and to ward-off the nagging injuries tennis players are susceptible to is any book by famed NYU "back doctor" Dr. John E. Sarno, MD. I'm currently reading a new book by one of the Good Doctor's disciples, Steven Ray Ozanich, that's a text book for overcoming chronic pain, is "THE GREAT PAIN DECEPTION: Faulty Medical Advice is Making US Worse".

lobman 11-15-2012 03:19 PM

Especially for doubles, try Vic Braden's Laugh And Win At Doubles[U.[/U
Also, Intelligent Doublesby Skip Singleton is pretty good.

TheCheese 11-15-2012 03:28 PM

The Inner Game is a great book not just for tennis, but for life in general.