Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Users of heavy rackets- do you keep a spare racket in your bag which is lighter? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=445678)

roundiesee 11-13-2012 07:15 PM

Users of heavy rackets- do you keep a spare racket in your bag which is lighter?

Would like to ask what is the general consensus regarding keeping a lighter, more manoeuvrable racket in your bag, in case you have an off day with your heavy racket? I was told by my coach that this may not be good as you need to "stick with it" even though you may not be timing the ball well with your heavy stick. Opinions any one?

cluckcluck 11-13-2012 07:23 PM

Not at all.

The Meat 11-13-2012 07:25 PM

Actually I keep an even smaller and heavier racquet in my bag to play with if I'm not feeling that great on court. :)

Candide 11-13-2012 07:32 PM

I have a weighted up (couple of grams in the tip) Organix 10 325 and it never seems heavy to me. My legs may get heavy and my reactions a little dull but it never seems like the racquet is holding me back. I used to play with lighter racquets and I think the whole 'manoeuvrable' thing is way over emphasised. If you use momentum and mechanics to move the racquet then a kid can swing a 12 oz racquet no problemo. I'm 5' 11'', just the wrong side of and an average build by the way. I got rid of the APDs and a Wilson Kobra Tour I had and moved up a big jump in weight but the gain in stability been great. Plus my arm feels far better and I've lifted my game as I can't get away with a six inch backswing.

The light (or very light) racquets seem to for people who are happy to be able to bunt the ball to the end of the court socially but aren't keen to work on their technique for reasons of age or lack of interest - very social players I guess which is fine too. I've see plenty of players who are very proficient with such racquets. But if you're at the stage where you've got a coach who's personally interested in what you're doing I'd get with the program and take his advice. I don't think you'll regret it.

darklore009 11-13-2012 07:49 PM

nope, it would affect my gameplay. anything lighter will go flying off the court in my case.

Say Chi Sin Lo 11-13-2012 07:56 PM

No, there's not a racquet that can save you if you're playing like crap.

Fuji 11-13-2012 08:02 PM

Nope. It's why I always have a matched pair (at least) for serious play. If I'm ahead, and I pop a string I don't want to be out in the dust with a different playing racket.

-Fuji

LanEvo 11-13-2012 08:57 PM

Nope, currently I own almost all 4 variations of the 2012 PDs, all 4 at one point. I have the regular PD Std. and both the Roddick versions, just picked up the lighter PD recently. I don't like it, will be getting rid of it, but I do not find that it will help you game much to be constantly switching frames like that, only reaosn I have the PDR in Std. and Plus version is that they are somewhat similar, that and I could not find anyone to trade me a PDR+, I enjoy both though, they have their own strengths and weaknesses.

Orion3 11-13-2012 10:29 PM

At the risk of getting repetitive...NO.

I do have a couple of different matched sets in my bag - one more suited to all court/S&V and one more suited to baseline play. All weigh the same just the balance and head size is slightly different.

sansaephanh 11-13-2012 11:26 PM

Its the opposite for me as well... Going from a MP to a mid makes me want to do everything right. If I don't I get severely punished. If i don't pick up the pace with my mid, I go back to my main and work even harder.

If all else fails, I accept it as a bad tennis day.

robbo1970 11-14-2012 12:42 AM

My quick answer is no, I carry two rackets in case of string breaks, both are the same spec. But as hardly any other answers on this thread are just a simple yes or no, then I will say my bit too.

I think the first thing one needs to do is make sure that they are playing with the racket that best suits their game, in terms of weight, head size and balance, then try and stick with it. Its very easy to have a good game one day and think the racket is great, then have a bad day and think you need a new racket.

I have been guilty of this in the past when Ive struggled with a heavy racket, switched to very light and thought it was miles better, only for the next game to get knocked about. Once you have the racket that suits you, try and stick with it.

If you do find yourself struggling with the heavier racket and contemplating carrying a lighter stick, dare I say it might bit a touch too heavy for you.

J011yroger 11-14-2012 02:40 AM

If I thought there was a racquet that I thought I would play better with, I would use it all the time, not just when I was having a 'bad day'.

The racquets I play with are the ones I think I play best with, every day. Good, bad and medium.

J

pshulam 11-14-2012 04:20 AM

I do carry a lighter racquet in my bag (just in case if my shoulder hurts and gets tired) but hardly use it.

tyu1314 11-14-2012 05:27 AM

Big bubba, when i keep framing.:)

jk816 11-14-2012 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pshulam (Post 7015611)
I do carry a lighter racquet in my bag (just in case if my shoulder hurts and gets tired) but hardly use it.

Same here; the only other times I might go lighter (only down from 12.5 to 11.5 oz) is hitting with or teaching my youngest (the heavier racquet has too much plow for her to handle and I can't dial that back much) or friendly mixed doubles (similar reason).

MikeHitsHard93 11-14-2012 08:28 AM

I have often considered buying a six.one 95 and keeping my pro open for a lighter backup

Xonemains 11-14-2012 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 7015263)
No, there's not a racquet that can save you if you're playing like crap.

LOL, true, very true:twisted:

nothing can help you then, just whats between your ears

roundiesee 11-14-2012 04:01 PM

All great answers, thanks every one! :)

sp1derman 11-14-2012 04:34 PM

Yep I do. Sometimes when I'm consistently late hitting the ball I will switch to the lighter racket. I've had varied success with this the few times I have resorted to it.

db10s 11-14-2012 04:38 PM

What constitutes "heavy"?