Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Wilson Gut/4G vs VS Touch/4G (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=445680)

TimothyO 11-13-2012 07:58 PM

Wilson Gut/4G vs VS Touch/4G

Well, that was a waste of money...

:)

So I had one of the 200 Tours strung with Wilson Gut/4G to compare to the reigning champ, VS Touch 4G.

After four weeks the VS Touch/4G remains extremely precise with solid spin potential and great comfort.

From the start the Wilson/4G felt less precise, more powerful, and significantly lower in spin potential. After a few hours the contrast between the two only grew. The Wilson setup was more comfortable but the lower spin and control was not worth it.

neverstopplaying 11-15-2012 03:16 AM

Though there are quite a few posters that like the old VS gut, I'm very happy with the BT7 formula.

I read a little more on the formula change and now Babolat uses 7 thicker strands of gut instead of the previous 15 thinner strands. My only gripe is that I've had 3 VS gut jobs pop overnight in the last 3-4 months. I was never able to be sure why. But this hasn't happened in a while, though.

VS (in my case Team) / 4G is a sublime hybrid.

TimothyO 11-15-2012 03:29 AM

I too missed Touch Classic when it was first replaced by BT7. But then another TT member pointed out that some players may prefer stiffer gut (eg Pacific). So I tried it again and the new formulation does seem to work better in a hybrid for spin potential and control.

I've tried this VS versus Wilson in a few head to head tests with different crosses and 4G seems to result in the highest contrast between the two.

There's another thread in this section in which the OP says he's done trying different string, at least for a while. After this latest series of tests this fall I'm going to join him. Nothing else I've tested provides Touch/4G's unique combination of control, comfort, durability, and spin potential. Other setups might provide a little more comfort or a little more spin but none provide such a balanced package.

vsbabolat 11-15-2012 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neverstopplaying (Post 7017461)
Though there are quite a few posters that like the old VS gut, I'm very happy with the BT7 formula.

I read a little more on the formula change and now Babolat uses 7 thicker strands of gut instead of the previous 15 thinner strands. My only gripe is that I've had 3 VS gut jobs pop overnight in the last 3-4 months. I was never able to be sure why. But this hasn't happened in a while, though.

VS (in my case Team) / 4G is a sublime hybrid.

I've also had BT7 pop in my bag overnight 3 times. The original formula never, never, never did that too me.

Torres 11-15-2012 05:21 AM

What tension are people using for black VS and 4G and in what stick?

TimothyO 11-15-2012 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torres (Post 7017575)

I've used VS/4G in the 4D 200and 200 Tour. And I've tried both 4G 1.25 and 1.30 crosses.

In the 200 (18x20, 95") 1.30 felt too stiff for me at 54/50 and 52/48. I didn't try it again after that. Sort of got the feeling 4G might be too stiff for my arm in that dense pattern.

In my modified 200 Tours (16x19, 95") I've tried 1.25 and 1.30 crosses from 54/50 to 57/53 with a couple of variations in between. So far my favorite is 1.25 at 55/51. 1.30 provided better control but less pop, less feel, and less spin. 1.25's control level is lower but still great while also providing much better spin potential. 1.30 also died "stiffer" and less comfortable. 1.25 at 51 as a cross is dying like some MSV products: more cushioned than other polys.

Note in all cases we're talking VS/4G hybrids, not full bed 4G.

All of those tests were in warm to hot weather, Atlanta in late summer through fall. It's cooling off now so it will be interesting to see how 4G behaves at lower temps.

TimothyO 11-15-2012 06:35 AM

I should add one more note on VS/4G. After roughly four weeks of play I asked my stringer to measure tension loss on the SB. Based on his ERT values immediately after stringing and then four weeks later he said tension loss was about 10%. During that time I had two formal practice sessions, a couple of friendly matches, and several casual sessions with wife and kids as well as a few solo serve practices. Less than my summer schedule but a reasonable amount of play.

The VS is seriously notched by the 4G and even the 4G is getting dented by the VS at this point. But while a little bumpy the mains still slide across the crosses and I don't need to realign them at all...they move back by themselves. When I move the crosses by hand you can hear a very loud snapping noise as they lock into the gooves worn in the mains.

neverstopplaying 11-15-2012 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vsbabolat (Post 7017499)
I've also had BT7 pop in my bag overnight 3 times. The original formula never, never, never did that too me.

This is the ONLY thing that may make me look elsewhere - but it's significant.
I make look for another gut with a certain crispness that won't pop.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torres (Post 7017575)

Donnay P1 16x19 - VS Team @59; 4g 125 @54.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimothyO (Post 7017472)
I too missed Touch Classic when it was first replaced by BT7. But then another TT member pointed out that some players may prefer stiffer gut (eg Pacific). So I tried it again and the new formulation does seem to work better in a hybrid for spin potential and control.

I've tried this VS versus Wilson in a few head to head tests with different crosses and 4G seems to result in the highest contrast between the two.

There's another thread in this section in which the OP says he's done trying different string, at least for a while. After this latest series of tests this fall I'm going to join him. Nothing else I've tested provides Touch/4G's unique combination of control, comfort, durability, and spin potential. Other setups might provide a little more comfort or a little more spin but none provide such a balanced package.

Agreed - one important point to add: the consistency of play during the life of the string job. But if I have another gut job pop overnight, I may look at Pacific.