Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Other Equipment (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   can i carry on a 6 racquet bag on an airplane? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=445687)

lgbalfa 11-13-2012 11:58 PM

can i carry on a 6 racquet bag on an airplane?

or will i have to check it in?

http://i46.tinypic.com/29pxniq.jpg

thanks

beernutz 11-14-2012 08:09 AM

My guess is that the carry on policy varies from airline to airline and even plane to plane within an airline depending on the size and type of the plane. Different airports may even enforce their own policies as you attempt to get through their TSA screening.

I'd at least call the airline in advance to see what their policy is and perhaps print out a copy of it to take with you in case a gate agent should happen to challenge you.

Andreas1965 11-14-2012 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beernutz (Post 7015897)
My guess is that the carry on policy varies from airline to airline and even plane to plane within an airline depending on the size and type of the plane. Different airports may even enforce their own policies as you attempt to get through their TSA screening.

I'd at least call the airline in advance to see what their policy is and perhaps print out a copy of it to take with you in case a gate agent should happen to challenge you.

I guess if you'll ask them if it's allowed to carry your sticks as carry on, their answer would be "NO". Just read their terms, racquets are considered as possible weapons.

You better just show up at the gate and try to sneak them into the plane.

Over the last years I saw several passengers taking their racquets with them as carry on. Just try to enter the plane with the first wave, otherwise overhead bins might be the problem. Once there's a problem with putting the racquets away in the bins, the flight attendants might notice something.

Just in case you'll have to check the racquets, make sure they are well protected in the racquet bag. Airport personnel will show no mercy!!

goran_ace 11-14-2012 09:33 AM

Depending on the airline you can usually bring one or two rackets in individual cases or a backpack, but it's not very likely you can pass a 6-pack bag as a hand carry or personal item. You can probably check it in at the gate.

I just carry my rackets in a wheeled tote like this and check it in. There's a hard bottom, throw all your clothes on top for padding.

http://www.landsend.com/pp/medium-li...220000_-1.html

dode 11-14-2012 10:50 AM

I did not take a 6 pack bag per se, but in flying to Nationals earlier this year, I carried on 5 racquets in two of the volkl "pull string" bags that I had slung over my shoulder. I called them my "personal item" and no one gave me any problem over it. This was on American Airlines.

John

db10s 11-14-2012 11:45 AM

I carry my 10 racket bag on the airplane.... Just put it in the overhead bin.

2ManyAces 11-14-2012 01:04 PM

I used that same bag for my primary suitcase for an entire summer.

It always depends on the airline.

Continental, United, etc like the bigger companies with bigger planes will let you.

I don't think it will fit on the smaller aircrafts.

Best bet is to contact customer service with the specs of your bag and sk them.

shogun90 11-15-2012 05:10 PM

I carried a KTour bag that has 3 compartments and filled with 5 racquets and a bunch of accessories to Nationals on Soutwest. No problems except for being stopped by TSA in Tucson for having a couple of tennis balls in the bag.

The Meat 11-15-2012 06:29 PM

I brought my 6 pack with me on the plane from tampa to chicago, but on the plane out of country I had to put my racquets in my suitcase and stuff my bag with my clothes.

Rjtennis 11-25-2012 05:06 PM

If you are departing from the US you are fine, however if you leave the country you might have to check them on your way back.

gmatheis 11-26-2012 10:00 AM

When I flew with my racket bag (6 pack) I took everything out except the rackets so that it fit easily in the overhead bins.

loci 11-26-2012 11:37 AM

I have. The bags make a great substitute to actual luggage and allow you to circumvent fees. Most airlines don't make an issue of carrying them on because the measurements are just right and they're not rigid. One can stuff them in the overhead bins and still compress the sides of the bag, if necessary. The airline industry bleeds money at an unbelievable rate and has resorted to all kinds of nonsensical fees to make money. It's shameful how terrible the airlines have become in this respect.

3fees 11-27-2012 04:31 PM

Check with airline, baggage fees are billions of extra revenue
dollars.

:)

ATP100 11-29-2012 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lgbalfa (Post 7015438)
or will i have to check it in?

http://i46.tinypic.com/29pxniq.jpg

thanks

Easy Answer:

Check it.
Fedex.

Zolar 01-02-2013 09:11 AM

I carry two racquets in my backpack, and sometimes travel with a 2/3 size guitar which is even longer. Never had a problem.

gavna 01-04-2013 06:12 AM

Do a search on his and you will find quite a few threads on his........But for the most part flying with your sticks not an issue.

I travel almost weekly on domestics and International flights and most often with a 12 pak without issues - I fly Southwest, Air France, Air Canada, Air Europe, United (yuck!), KLM, Alitalia, Air New Zealand, Singapore Air, TAM, SAA and British and the only issues I have had were in Australia and once in Canada from Toronto -

On the smaller regional jets (EMB 176 as an example) you can get maybe a 3 pak in the mini overheads - but pretty much anything larger than a briefcase or a backpak gets gate checked as you board and you get it as you get off the plane.

goran_ace 01-04-2013 06:53 AM

On my most recent flights around the holidays I saw people hand carrying single rackets and racket backpacks with no problem, but nothing as large as a 6 pack. That said, Delta was allowing only one item to be carried on inclusive of purses/computer bags/personal items due to crowding on flights and anything else would be have to be checked at the gate to your destination. So if you were carrying a purse, a racket, and a computer bag, unless you can fit all three in the computer bag you have to choose which item rides with you.

McLovin 01-04-2013 09:20 AM

I carried my Head 10pk Tour bag this past holiday and no one said a single word to me. We flew AirTran to Florida, and Southwest home. It had 7 frames in it at the time.

I did the same last year, and I believe we flew Jet Blue home. Again, no one ever said a word.