Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Calling All String Experts . . . or anyone else who might know (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=445749)

winstonplum 11-14-2012 02:56 PM

Calling All String Experts . . . or anyone else who might know

I've been playing with Kirschbaum Pro Line II for over a year and really enjoying it. When I first got back into tennis about three years ago, I wanted to try out some of the polys so I wouldn't be breaking strings every two weeks. I started off trying Lux BB Original, and the ALU Power Rough, but once I figured out what I was doing on the court again, both felt to stiff and boardy.

RPM blast, my next try when I got bought a APD (don't laugh), hurt my shoulder--still too stiff and boardy. It was at that time that I came to these fabulous boards and started doing research about the softer/softest polys out there. The rave reviews about Pro Line II caught my attention and I've been enjoying it ever since.

The problem is that three years in, I've gotten stronger, I'm hitting harder, and I'm playing 3-4 times a week as opposed to 1-2. These strings are starting to wear through pretty quickly.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a soft poly that lasts longer than PL II. I know that sounds like an oxymoron--soft/durability, but I'll through it out here nonetheless. What I like best about the PL II is that I get goot pop, good spin, and it maintains tension well. I don't know if it's just me, but the strings play better a month in than they do when the stick is freshly strung.

When I bought a new PS Ltd. last month, I got it strung for free with Pro Hurricane. Hated it. Turned to mush after about a week and a half. Cut them out and went back to PL II. So don't recommend that string.

Thank you.

darklore009 11-14-2012 02:58 PM

you could try genesis black magic. a soft, powerful poly. or you can try cyberflash. both keep their playability for some time than others

UCSF2012 11-14-2012 03:03 PM

If you're playing twice as much, you should be expecting to replace poly more often. You shouldn't be trying to do the impossible and find an arm-friendly everlasting string. It's better for your health to replace polys more often.

lynnbart 11-14-2012 03:04 PM

You should give Discho Iontec Black a try. It is comfortable, affordable, and plays very well.

Francis27 11-14-2012 03:46 PM

Since you used the RPM Blast you should try its softer version RPM TEAM its injected with micro air bubbles which makes it softer. I currently use these strings and love them! its got great durability too!

There are only a few soft polys out there and most of them are stiff. If you really want to soften out a poly i recommend using a hybrid with either Natural gut (if you have the money), synthetic gut (i like the x-one biphase from tecnifibre), and or a multifilament.

nalvarado 11-14-2012 04:25 PM

Polystar energy deserves a mention.

Logic Dude 11-14-2012 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Francis27 (Post 7016783)
Since you used the RPM Blast you should try its softer version RPM TEAM its injected with micro air bubbles which makes it softer. I currently use these strings and love them! its got great durability too!

There are only a few soft polys out there and most of them are stiff. If you really want to soften out a poly i recommend using a hybrid with either Natural gut (if you have the money), synthetic gut (i like the x-one biphase from tecnifibre), and or a multifilament.

X-one biphase is a multifilament :).

db10s 11-14-2012 04:29 PM

Dunlop Black Widow.....

fortun8son 11-14-2012 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnbart (Post 7016706)
You should give Discho Iontec Black a try. It is comfortable, affordable, and plays very well.

Or Pro's Pro Vendetta.(I just got a reel at a ridiculously low price.)

Really, though, if you like the way Pro Line II plays, stick with it.
You can spend a lot of time and money searching for the Holy Grail, only to find yourself coming back to Pro Line.

marsh 11-15-2012 11:06 AM

I'll vouch for Black Magic and Discho Iontec black. Both excellent string that compare very favorably to your current string. Try them out and you be the judge.

swfh 11-15-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fortun8son (Post 7017214)
Or Pro's Pro Vendetta.(I just got a reel at a ridiculously low price.)

Really, though, if you like the way Pro Line II plays, stick with it.
You can spend a lot of time and money searching for the Holy Grail, only to find yourself coming back to Pro Line.

How do you like vendetta? What was the price?

Also, I'll vouch for black magic as well. Nice and soft

fortun8son 11-15-2012 03:20 PM

It's my first time buying Vendetta. I've heard some pretty good things about it.
It's bad form to quote competitors' prices here.
If you do a little digging, you'll find the info.

drkplayer122 11-16-2012 12:02 PM

I've tried Vendetta and it is very similar to PLII. I prefer PLII though because I felt that it had better tension maintenance over Vendetta.

Fortun8son is right. Reels of Vendetta is ridiculously low compared to other strings on the market.

COPEY 11-16-2012 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fortun8son (Post 7018604)
It's my first time buying Vendetta. I've heard some pretty good things about it.
It's bad form to quote competitors' prices here.
If you do a little digging, you'll find the info.

Very true, but TW doesn't sell Pro's Pro. ;-)

fortun8son 11-16-2012 09:21 PM

...and it's very tolerant of them to let us talk about Pro's Pro, Genesis, Discho/Mamba and the like.
No need to rock the boat. :)

COPEY 11-17-2012 02:46 AM

Actually I think the reason they allow it has nothing to do with being tolerant, but rather reasonable and logical. They understand they can't possibly stock every string out there (what vendor can?), and it stands to reason people will use strings from various vendors, so there's no harm whatsoever in allowing discussion about such strings. If this was the "TW Strings Forum" and underneath the description read, "Please try to limit your discussion to only those strings sold at TW", then I'd definitely agree with you.

Finally, TW isn't stupid, they definitely understand the connection between this forum and string sales, and the fact that they have this forum, coupled with its popularity, directly influences the amount of string they sale. Access to the majority of strings discussed is but a few clicks away.

I do, however, agree (wholeheartedly) that the OP should stick with PL II. Even better would be to purchase a stringer, that way the cost of trying new strings could be substantially reduced in the long run. That is, as long as he doesn't go nuts and start testing every string under the sun lol.

fortun8son 11-17-2012 03:26 AM

--------------

COPEY 11-17-2012 04:21 AM

Surely, but to be fair, it's one thing to bring up a certain string (or two) in the course of a discussion. It's quite another to bombard a post with several different types of strings and their prices. Still, we'll see what happens.

To be clear, I'm not arguing with you, not at all. In my opinion you're one of the more sensable posters on here, one whose posts I generally seek out to read. It just so happens in this case I disagree with ya, that's all. ;-)

fortun8son 11-17-2012 04:27 AM

I like Pro's Pro strings. They are a good value, like Sharp and Hyundai.
Are they equal to the best? No.
A good value, nonetheless.

I must say that their multis kick *****
Hi-Tech Multifibre and Gutex Ultra...thumbs up.

mikeler 11-17-2012 07:43 AM

I plan to test some more Pros Pro strings in the future.