Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   microgel rad OS... (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=445765)

LeeD 11-14-2012 07:10 PM

microgel rad OS...

Old blind guy that I am, I just ordered one MicrogelRadOS for my doubles play. Can't quite afford two. 4 5/8 size, prestrung.
Hope it's easier on my body than the 12.4 oz 200's and the super stiff 500's I have.
And I really hate my LMRadsMids, just too stiff in the top of the head.

MikeHitsHard93 11-14-2012 07:35 PM

Did Agassi actually use these, or were they just a paint job? I hope you like them!

Seth 11-14-2012 07:52 PM

A guy on my doubles league team uses these. He plays really well with them. I tried them out for a little while and was really impressed by the feel at net. Just thought I'd share.

robbo1970 11-15-2012 03:03 AM

Good for you old timer ;o)

I've only read good things about that racket so I hope it works out for you.

When you read the specs with its 315g weight, 107 head and low stiffness rating, its hard to find a reason why not to give it a go. Good for doubles I expect too, with that 107 head looming at your opponents, quite an intimidating sight I expect. And great that you got your grip size too.

Keep us updated with how it goes.

ace0001a 11-15-2012 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeHitsHard93 (Post 7017146)
Did Agassi actually use these, or were they just a paint job? I hope you like them!

You mean the paintjob of them? As we all know, Agassi always used his original Radical Tour 260 over the years with different paintjobs. I own one of his Flexpoint ones where you can clearly see the fake flexpoint holes painted on. He did play exhibitions sometime within 2007-2008 when Head had it's Microgel line out as I've seen a Microgel paintjobbed Radical OS before. As for the Microgel Radical OS we can all buy, it is the last of the mold that was started with the Ti Radical (since they changed the mold with the Youteks)...as many have said, it's a nice flexible OS player's racquet that has room for customization if stock form is too light for you.

SteveI 11-15-2012 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7017105)
Old blind guy that I am, I just ordered one MicrogelRadOS for my doubles play. Can't quite afford two. 4 5/8 size, prestrung.
Hope it's easier on my body than the 12.4 oz 200's and the super stiff 500's I have.
And I really hate my LMRadsMids, just too stiff in the top of the head.

Great frame and at a great price. Soft easy to swing... I was getting them for $69.99 at one time for a player in my area.

LeeD 11-15-2012 10:16 AM

Thanx, will prolly get it next week on Monday or this week Sat., but it's gonna be wet on the courts.

treo 11-15-2012 11:41 AM

The one I bought recently from TW was strung with a white 16g poly with no printing on it. It became much lighter after I restrung with 17g nylon. Too light, so I had to add weight.

LeeD 11-15-2012 12:12 PM

Thnx....
I'm pretty used to a light racket now, having used DunlopAero500's the last 2 years. They're 10 oz, with a SW around 310. Fine, but now my shoulder is bothering me on hard topspin forehands, and hopefully, the bigger, much softer racket (a drop in over 10pts of stiffness), might help. If not, no biggie.
I just hope I don't lose too much on flat first serves.

makinao 11-15-2012 01:38 PM

I hit a few balls with both the Youtek and the Microgel OS. Didn't like the Youtek because it felt "scared". The Microgel was OK, comfortable but not particularly inspiring.

5263 11-15-2012 04:53 PM

Imo the string it comes with is crap, so expect to need an upgrade there.

LeeD 11-17-2012 01:16 PM

Good call there, 5263...
Still wet out, hit a few against a parking lot wall, OMG! Those strings are as bad as wire.

sm01 11-18-2012 12:29 PM

LeeD

As you may recall from my other posts, I recently bought the same racquet. I had mine strung with RPM Blast 18--48 mains 46 cr. Initially weighed 10.9 oz. Just out of curiosity, did you get an initial weight on yours?

FYI---I have experimented around with weight and balance, and so far have loaded up the inside of the grip with 0.5 oz sticky putty, and the outside with 0.2 oz lead tape around the buttcap--polarized setup. I counterbalanced at 10 and 2 to maintain the original balance. Right at 11.9 to 12.0 oz. Its a nice steady easy to swing stick, no flutter on hard returns, no pain. Good controllable power, good but not monster spin--excellent flat hard slice. I've got about 25 hrs of play on it so far.

I would like to hear your opinion on yours and what if anything you do to it.

LeeD 11-18-2012 01:43 PM

First dry day since the racket arrived on Friday9AM. I ordered it at 4PM, Wed.
Pretty much better than I expected, so I'm stoked.
Power, slightly more than my Aero500's, more than my Mfil and Aero200's, very similar to LMRadMid. Much bigger sweetspot to counter deep balls and heavy spin.
I ordered a 4 5/8th for doubles, and immediately put on an overgrip to make it more stable in volleying. Groundies have as much or more power than the 3 racket's above.
Spin serves are heavier, so I need to adjust my net clearance higher.
Flat first serves are more powerful than all 3 above, but close to LMRads.
Returns of serve are most strange. Maybe it's the honeymoon period talking, but I seem to be able to hit extremely hard topspin returns of serve AND slice lob DTL deep in IN. A strange combination, but I'll take it if it's repeatable.
Volleys are consistent and heavy, more consistent than 200's, stronger than 500's. Quickness seems all there, but shortness of racket seems prevelent in lots of shots. I really need to hold waay down at the buttcap to avoid hitting too high.
Swing speed seems equal to the Aero500's, faster than Mfil200's, and equal to LMRadMid. But the softness of impact is really nice on the arm and seems easy to control.
They say it's a 107, but it swings easier than Aero200's for my weak thin stature.
So far, only one shot hit hard between my legs (opponent's high volley) finds the OS sizing a liability. Racket got caught in my long pant legs.
Pretty stoked, should have ordered this instead of LMRads, 200's, and 500's.
Will order another one next week.
Stock strings are horrid for light hitting, but pretty solid when I'm hitting for real. Flat serves seem really solid, as does flat groundies.

LeeD 11-18-2012 01:44 PM

First dry day since the racket arrived on Friday9AM. I ordered it at 4PM, Wed.
Pretty much better than I expected, so I'm stoked.
Power, slightly more than my Aero500's, more than my Mfil and Aero200's, very similar to LMRadMid. Much bigger sweetspot to counter deep balls and heavy spin.
I ordered a 4 5/8th for doubles, and immediately put on an overgrip to make it more stable in volleying. Groundies have as much or more power than the 3 racket's above.
Spin serves are heavier, so I need to adjust my net clearance higher.
Flat first serves are more powerful than all 3 above, but close to LMRads.
Returns of serve are most strange. Maybe it's the honeymoon period talking, but I seem to be able to hit extremely hard topspin returns of serve AND slice lob DTL deep in IN. A strange combination, but I'll take it if it's repeatable.
Volleys are consistent and heavy, more consistent than 200's, stronger than 500's. Quickness seems all there, but shortness of racket seems prevelent in lots of shots. I really need to hold waay down at the buttcap to avoid hitting too high.
Swing speed seems equal to the Aero500's, faster than Mfil200's, and equal to LMRadMid. But the softness of impact is really nice on the arm and seems easy to control.
They say it's a 107, but it swings easier than Aero200's for my weak thin stature.
So far, only one shot hit hard between my legs (opponent's high volley) finds the OS sizing a liability. Racket got caught in my long pant legs.
Pretty stoked, should have ordered this instead of LMRads, 200's, and 500's.
Will order another one next week.
Stock strings are horrid for light hitting, but pretty solid when I'm hitting for real. Flat serves seem really solid, as does flat groundies.
Will try to play again tomorrow to see if the honeymoon period wears off.

travlerajm 11-18-2012 05:52 PM

An OS head with dense pattern is my favorite type of racquet. Gives more forgiveness without loss of control.

LeeD 11-19-2012 02:16 PM

Got to play today with dead legs, and after 2 really soft hitter sets.
Well, the ball was a blur mostly, I couldn't compensate for balls that hit the cracks in the court, and played like really bad.
Can't blame racket at all here, as it was solid in all shots, and did what I ordered, except I kept ordering the wrong shot for the conditions of the point.
Overheads were putaway even if hit deep in NML on a fly, groundies were solid with few mishits, and volley went where I aimed them, even if I aimed high to a certain player's forehand over and over again..:cry::cry:
Weight was fine, power was fine, and no shoulder pain at all.
Good racket, bad player...me.

sm01 11-30-2012 03:19 PM

Lee, Just checking back. I have a question for you. I am a fairly athletic and strong 4.0 and had a match last nite with a skinny guy 4.0-4.5 who played with an old Wilson Hammer OS 6.2. He's very fast, basically has short strokes, last minute, and can really forearm the ball past you--flat low and hard--amazing.

l have longish strokes, all courter, and normally play an upweighted prestige pro 12.2 oz but recently bought a microgel radical OS which I have upweighted to 11.6 oz. I bought that OS because I have run across a few players that I just cant get around on, they pick their shots late as possible and rifle it.

Last nite I played one of these guys. I used my Radical OS, and hung with him but really shortened my strokes because of lack of time. A couple of times I could just throw the racket out there and came up with some amazing shots--just punch blocks.

This has me thinking, usually I see 3.0s and oldsters using the head heavy lightweight OS racquets. Is there something to the idea of better players using a head heavy light OS racquet and short punchy strokes--and letting go of the idea of body turn, loading, etc?? Or is this guy just an anomaly?

LeeD 11-30-2012 03:24 PM

I'll agree a MGOS can indeed hit some impressive short stroke groundies, and punch volleys.
But in the long run, I think we need long flowing strokes for consistency. Those short punches can easily go long or into the net on another day, because they are not really strokes with a followthru, something needed for consistency over time.
Best to hit with depth, close to the baseline, or lots of spin during rallies.
I just wish the MG was a touch lighter in SW, as it seems to stress my wrists on the loopy forehand takeback when rushed.

NLBwell 11-30-2012 03:55 PM

LeeD - get your racket back sooner so you aren't rushed or you will have another injury to complain about.