Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Stringing tension difference between different brands of natural gut (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=445773)

tvu 11-14-2012 10:29 PM

Stringing tension difference between different brands of natural gut
 
Hi,

I've started with Mamba natural gut as an introduction into the natural gut domain - and have really enjoyed it. Since it's unavailable right now, I figure it's time to bite the bullet, and try the premium gut that everyone is raving about just this once to see if there is such a drastic difference between the two.

I have the following on order, and wanted to solicit your opinions if I need to adjust my tension up/down for these new strings. My main goal is to maintain the same depth(power) from this experiment - not too worried about feel, spin potential, etc. I know the easiest thing is just to string all of them up using the same tension as my current setup and go from there; however, I think each one has different "power level" so I think I need to account for that in order to get the same result. Since they are pretty pricey and I only have 1 set of each, I'm hoping to get it very close the first time around.

Babolat Tonic+ Natural Gut 15L
Wilson Natural Gut 16
Pacific Classic Natural Gut 16
Pacific Tough Gut 16
KLIP Legend Natural Gut 15L
KLIP Armour Pro Natural Gut 16

Just for reference, I have the following
Prokennex Qtour(18x20)
Mamba premium natural gut mains(62)
Scorpion/B5E/Genesis Black Magic(56) - still undecided on the cross at the moment
Laserfibre MS200TT

Thanks for the help.

TimothyO 11-15-2012 03:40 AM

Those tensions seem very high for a dense pattern. I've usually dropped down to the high 40s for poly crosses and low 50s for gut mains when using 18x20 and 16g on both mains and crosses.

As for the strings I don't know Klip but Pacific and Touch play similarly with the edge to Touch imo. Wilson is very different from those two.

Fans of Wilson and pre-BT7 Touch would call the current version of Touch stiff or dead while others would call it crisp. Fans of BT7 Touch would call Wilson Gut mushy while others would call Wilson plush and comfortable with great feel. All would be right since it's so subjective.

I disliked BT7 Touch at first but after repeated tests against Wilson with poly crosses I must now admit that while it IS less comfy or plush the BT7 Touch definitely provides easier access to spin and better control.

In your case I believe it really is a toss up with your frame. If comfort and feel are your primary concerns go with Wilson, it's the easy choice on your list for those characteristics. If you want spin and control then I would recommend BS Touch or perhaps Team in your frame. It all depends on your prioroities.

tvu 11-15-2012 07:23 PM

Thanks for the input. I tried stringing Mamba NG initially with 54, then 57 , but I was still launching the balls,; that's how I ended up at 62. I would love to string it lower as long I don't loose the control.

I guess I will find out soon enough on what fits best for me. My only fear is that I will really like the premium gut, and that it will only last for 10 hours.

Bigtime 11-16-2012 07:18 AM

If you are not a string breaker, then the natural gut full bed may actually be more cost efficient, since it will hold it's tension until breakage. If you are prone to breakage, then synthetic would be more cost effective.

Hope your experiment is a success!

tvu 11-16-2012 03:17 PM

It's true that gut will hold the tension longer - but I thought the whole reasoning behind gut/poly was the increase spin - due to the gut being able to slide across the poly much easier.

I guess it's another experiment I need to put on my list.

esgee48 11-16-2012 04:30 PM

tvu, when you start experimenting with poly crosses, go with a slick tension maintaining poly, ala SPPP. You do less damage to the gut mains when they slide back and forth over the crosses.

BlxTennis 11-16-2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tvu (Post 7018972)
Thanks for the input. I tried stringing Mamba NG initially with 54, then 57 , but I was still launching the balls,; that's how I ended up at 62. I would love to string it lower as long I don't loose the control.

I guess I will find out soon enough on what fits best for me. My only fear is that I will really like the premium gut, and that it will only last for 10 hours.

tvu, I really like the Supra gut but seems like it's out of stock for a long time. I used to break my multi or Synthetic gut within 2-3 weeks of play. Ever since putting Supra main & Iontec cross, I have been playing over 30+hrs with them. I never try Premium since Ray told me not to string that more than 55lbs or something like that. Didn't know it can go 62lbs on Premium gut. Some day when Supra is available again, I am going to stock that up.

jim e 11-16-2012 05:13 PM

Premium nat. gut plays real well at relatively high tensions, something many cheaper guts will not allow.
I string my OS size racquets at 64 lbs. and my MP size racquets at 61 lbs. and they both have dense patterns.The higher tensions still feels great and also gives proper control with a full bed of gut.
With what you stated I would string it up at 62 just as you have in past and if necessary adjust from there, but I bet it wii not be much.
I have hit with VS (non bt7)16g. , Wilson 16g. , Pacific Permium 16g. and Pacific Tough gut and strung them all the same. I never used the Klip, but I heard that it is a stiffer string than the others.
My personel preference at this time is the Wilson 16g.as it hits like the old VS gut, Happy hitting! Jim

tvu 11-16-2012 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlxTennis (Post 7020561)
tvu, I really like the Supra gut but seems like it's out of stock for a long time. I used to break my multi or Synthetic gut within 2-3 weeks of play. Ever since putting Supra main & Iontec cross, I have been playing over 30+hrs with them. I never try Premium since Ray told me not to string that more than 55lbs or something like that. Didn't know it can go 62lbs on Premium gut. Some day when Supra is available again, I am going to stock that up.

Yes, I read the label, and did not notice that the recommended tension was 55. I took the risk, and bump it up to 57lbs, but it still went long - so the next jump was up to 62 - and that seems like the right tension for me. Out of the 12 (1/2) sets, only one broke due to the gut unraveling around R6 - so no complaints.

I haven't tried Supra myself, but when it's available I will have to definitely order a few sets. And if I can't tell the difference between that and all the other premium gut in this playtest, then I'm stocking up too :)


Quote:

Originally Posted by esgee48 (Post 7020510)
tvu, when you start experimenting with poly crosses, go with a slick tension maintaining poly, ala SPPP. You do less damage to the gut mains when they slide back and forth over the crosses.

Good point - I've noticed that with the cross strings I have listed, B5E seem to notch a little easier, than the Scorpion or Black Magic. I haven't tried SPPP - but that will have to be another experiment since I"m trying to limit the number of factors that changing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim e (Post 7020565)
With what you stated I would string it up at 62 just as you have in past and if necessary adjust from there, but I bet it wii not be much.
I have hit with VS (non bt7)16g. , Wilson 16g. , Pacific Permium 16g. and Pacific Tough gut and strung them all the same. I never used the Klip, but I heard that it is a stiffer string than the others.
My personel preference at this time is the Wilson 16g.as it hits like the old VS gut, Happy hitting! Jim

Thanks Jim - I think that is the plan moving forward - string them all at one tension at the start - and adjust accordingly. It's just too painful to cut gut - hence the start of this thread. When I started out with Mamba premium gut, I had to cut out 2 string job with less than 1 hour on them(54lbs, and 57lbs) since I felt it was still too powerful.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse