Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Other Equipment (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Confidence level with different overgrip? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=445775)

donnygg 11-14-2012 11:51 PM

Confidence level with different overgrip?

I just realised my play is very sensitive to the overgrip I use. I was using Polyfibre SAT overgrip and was playing well. I heard good things about Yonex Supergrap and bought a set of 3 at the booth at the US Open. It felt very soft and comfortable but suddenly, my level of play dropped. I tried so many things to fix it but just couldn't find my form. Earlier this week, I picked up my spare racquet that had an old Polyfibre overgrip on and it just felt so right. I thought it was the grip size. So I swapped the overgrips and surprisingly, my current racquet felt right and my spare racquet doesn't. It's like I just don't feel confident playing with the Supergrap. There's just something about the Polyfibre SAT that just feel so right for me. Today I played with the Polyfibre overgrip and my form was WAY better than the last few sessions.

Is anyone else sensitive to the type of overgrip used?

zapvor 11-15-2012 09:50 PM

heh.....if your confidence is dependent on overgrip......well lets leave it at that

robbo1970 11-16-2012 01:39 AM

I can understand what youre saying. If the racket in your hand just felt different or you felt that your hand wasnt relaxed enough with the different overgrip then I guess that can affect your confidence in striking the ball.

Ironically, I have tried lots of different overgrips but have found I always go back to Supergrap. You have obviously just found the overgrip you prefer.

Ramon 11-16-2012 05:36 AM

Obviously, your Polyfibre overgrip is better for you. It's probably just a matter of getting used to the feel, but if you like the Polyfibre grip better, there's no reason to switch.

Personally, I haven't found my game to be sensitive to overgrips, and I've tried several. As long as the grip doesn't slip or give me blisters, I'm fine with it.

robbo1970 11-16-2012 07:57 AM

Exactly. I have found myself gripping the racket tighter with a dryer feeling grip and it does affect the way you play. So I know stick to the tackier grips.

Saosin 12-03-2012 04:34 PM

I can definitely understand where the OP is coming from. I started out using Wilson Pro Overgrip, used that for years and love it, but decided to try Tournagrip original at the start of this year. That stuff is too dry feeling for me and gave my palms callouses, also it lasts about one set. After that experiment I moved onto Head Xtremesoft which I'm finding nice, like the tackiness and feel of the racquet being stuck to your hand, but I'm going back to the ol' faithful Wilson this week.

3fees 12-03-2012 06:22 PM

Overgrips are not all the same, I use Wilson Pro Overgrips,,next Yonex Supergrap.

:mrgreen:

zapvor 12-03-2012 06:50 PM

you guys are picky!

ductrung3993 12-03-2012 08:51 PM

Me too, I guess that my hands are just picky/OG sensitive

anubis 12-04-2012 05:42 AM

I don't notice. I just use tourna tac in the winter and yonex super grap in the summer and leave it at that. no more thought is required.