Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   hybrid mulit with Gosen OG (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=445791)

westpac690 11-15-2012 07:15 AM

hybrid mulit with Gosen OG

I'm looking to get a little more power out of my strings while keeping at my current tension about the same. I was thinking about hybriding Gosen Micro OG 17(currently used in full bed) with Maybe Dunlop DNA or Silk.
Does anyone have any experience or advice with hybriding a syn gut, with a mulit? Suggested string set ups also welcome.

kopfan 11-15-2012 11:56 AM

Maybe you can try ogsm 18 on main with ogsm 17 on crosses both tension at 50 lbs. This setup will give you more power and spin. I recalled that i hybrid ogsm 18 with wilson sensation and did not like it, the trampoline effect is too overwhelming. Poly and multi works better. Poly with syn is more durable and cost effective.

anubis 11-15-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westpac690 (Post 7017626)
I'm looking to get a little more power out of my strings while keeping at my current tension about the same. I was thinking about hybriding Gosen Micro OG 17(currently used in full bed) with Maybe Dunlop DNA or Silk.
Does anyone have any experience or advice with hybriding a syn gut, with a mulit? Suggested string set ups also welcome.

Hybriding with any syn guts won't make it more powerful. Power comes from the type of string and the tension. The most powerful strings are (in order):

1. gut
2. multi
3. syn gut
4. poly

Gosen is already pretty stiff and is generally not very powerful.

If you want more power, stick with a full bed of a soft multi and string it lower than you are now. Try 2 lbs lower and go from there.

seekay 11-15-2012 01:35 PM

I like to use OGSM as a cross string paired with a multifilament main. Full beds of multifilament tend to end up with fuzzy crosses in the sweet spot after a while, and using a synthetic gut avoids that.

westpac690 11-15-2012 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seekay (Post 7018338)
I like to use OGSM as a cross string paired with a multifilament main. Full beds of multifilament tend to end up with fuzzy crosses in the sweet spot after a while, and using a synthetic gut avoids that.

What strings have you used in the past? I've used full bed multis, and gut before.

seekay 11-15-2012 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westpac690 (Post 7018879)
What strings have you used in the past? I've used full bed multis, and gut before.

I've used a number of multis, but I like Prince Premier Attack best.

This thread is a good reference for different multis. For the strings I've hit with, I agree with Mikeler's reviews.

I've also used synthetic gut as a cross for natural gut. It provides nearly all the feel of a full natural gut at a much lower cost and (usually) with better durability.