Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Luxilon packaging strange country of origin (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=445795)

Dragan 11-15-2012 07:14 AM

Luxilon packaging strange country of origin

I have several unopened sets of Luxilon strings, all purchased in Serbia (from a reputable vendor, authorized Wilson distributor in Serbia). However, I spotted some suspicious details on the packaging of my Luxilon string sets, so I would appreciate your help in figuring out whether these strings are authentic or not?

First of all, bar code on the back of string sets. You may, or may not know that the first three digits (GS1 code) should identify the country or origin, or at least the country where the manufacturer HQ is registered.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_GS1_country_codes

For Babolat and Tecnifibre strings, these three digits are 332 and 349, both in the French country codes pool. However, on three different types of my Luxilon strings (Belgian company), there are three different GS1 codes, as illustrated on these photos I took with my phone:

These three codes are 851 (non existing code), 026 ("restricted distribution") and 883 (Pakistan?!). Obviously, I'm very concerned whether these strings are authentic or fake.

Additionally, one of the two packs of Alu Power Fluoro has sign in the slogan "BIG BANGER TECHNOLOGY" while the other does not have it:

If anybody reading this post has some of Luxilon strings in their inventory, can you please check out what your barcodes looks like and post here, because Im slightly concerned what I purcahsed.

Thanks,
Dragan

pvaudio 11-15-2012 08:11 AM

2x BB Original Rough:
No "R" symbol
GS1: 851

2x ALU Rough
No "R" Symbol

2x BB Ace
No "R" Symbol

3x BB Original:
No "R" Symbol

So yeah, I think you might have some iffies in there.

pvaudio 11-15-2012 08:12 AM

Interestingly, and you won't like this, but on the sets of fake Chinese ALU Fluoro and TiMo I've gotten from the Bay, they all say 026. I am not saying they are of Chinese origin, but all of the sets I have with such markings are ultra fakes from China bought for like 8 sets for 15 bucks many years ago.

pvaudio 11-15-2012 08:24 AM

I also do not think that that leading digit is part of the origin either. nonetheless, all of my Lux packets are the same, '515', the fake ones being the same as your "0263" also. Most importantly, barcode ID isn't the most reliable method of determining a country of origin. For example, my Prince Syn gut is all 477, and my Prince Recoil and Prince Premier Attack are 849.

Dragan 11-15-2012 08:40 AM

Thanks a lot! That's what happens when a "high margin" product is globally recognizable - fake copies start flooding the market. However, I did not purchase this via ****, but in large sports equipment store, from the only Wilson and Luxilon distributor in Serbia. I will definitely contact them ask for official clarification of my concerns!

Now, regarding leading digits and their significance, if any... Please take a look at these French strings, their codes clearly identify French origin, so there should be something with it.

OK, let's see what other people have on their Lux packagings, but I will make this straight with the Wilson representative ASAP.

Cheers,
Dragan

pvaudio 11-15-2012 08:55 AM

My X-1 and VS also have those codes, so perhaps you are right. However, Belgian codes are 540-549. All of my Lux is from TW and has the 8515, none of which corresponds to anything related to Belgium.

Dragan 11-15-2012 11:50 PM

UPDATE:

It appears that all of my strings ARE authentic. I contacted a high ranked representative of the company where I purchased the strings. He assured me that they are serious company and that all Wilson and Luxilon products are 100% authentic and imported from Amer Sports, Germany (listed on Wilson's website as their German distributor, I just checked).

Additionally, a really well informed person (he asked me not to disclose details of our conversation) also confirmed that the bar codes are okay, as well as (R) sign, which appears on the first version of the package, but was later removed.

lidoazndiabloboi 11-15-2012 11:57 PM

if you are interested, my 4G code is 883, and BB Original is 851

dreamneedle 11-16-2012 12:23 AM

So did they give you any proof of authenticity?

Dragan 11-16-2012 01:03 AM

As I said, the representative of Beosport (Wilson & Luxilon authorized distributor in Serbia) was very professional in the email correspondence and provided me details of the origin of the imported goods (Amer Sport Munich, Germany). He said that he was looking in German price list in front of him and that all strings are quoted as "Made in Belgium". He was not sure about bar codes, as he never thought about that before, but promised to inquiry German partner.

He invited me to call him by phone or visit him if I have any addition questions. Although this is not a "hard evidence of authenticity", it leaves me assured that they are serious company that would not bet with their reputation and country distributor status.

The other individual who is extremely well informed on all Luxilon products, also did take a look at the macro-photos and bar codes and confirmed that they look absolutely authentic. For me, this is good enough :)

zapvor 11-18-2012 07:44 AM

the better question is, do you play better with authentic strings;)