Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   which syngut to try with RPM blast? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=445803)

Killbill 11-15-2012 09:06 AM

which syngut to try with RPM blast?

I recently tried a hybrid on my racquet of RPM Blast and babolat natural gut and loved it. However, I can not afford to keep using the natural gut as I play alot and find the RPM doesn't play well after 8 hours or so.

Can anyone suggest a syngut I may like to use in the crosses with RPM in the mains?

I Heart Thomas Muster 11-15-2012 01:03 PM

When I used RPM Blast in the mains I liked Babolat NVY as cross.

I Heart Thomas Muster 11-15-2012 01:10 PM

Although if you're open to a suggestion on the mains I would recommend RPM Team. I know the numbers say it's stiffer than Blast but it doesn't feel that way and it holds its tension noticeably better than Blast.

Herdsman76 11-15-2012 01:21 PM

I've had RPM hybrid-ed with Price Synthetic Gut Duraflex and it played fine. I'm sure it'll all depend on the tension(s) you plan on using. I strung the mains with RPM at 55 lbs and the crosses with Syn Gut at 60 lbs. on a Pure Drive 135th Edition.

Just a suggestion...

Francis27 11-15-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Heart Thomas Muster (Post 7018298)
Although if you're open to a suggestion on the mains I would recommend RPM Team. I know the numbers say it's stiffer than Blast but it doesn't feel that way and it holds its tension noticeably better than Blast.

I agree with thomas about the RPM Team im a big fan of these strings and as an alternative for natural gut i recommend these following synthetic/multifilament strings:

-Tecnifibre X-One BiPhase (Plays like gut)
-Wilson NXT (plays like gut aswell)
-Head RIP Control
-Tecnifibre NRG2
-Weiss Cannon Explosiv
-Babolat Xcel

If i were too choose from these strings it would either be Tecnifibre X-One BiPhase, and Babolat Xcel

fortun8son 11-15-2012 05:12 PM

Forten Sweet 16 plays soft and powerful.
Some find that it has too much power, but that should not be the case when coming from natgut.

monomer 11-15-2012 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fortun8son (Post 7018689)
Forten Sweet 16 plays soft and powerful.
Some find that it has too much power, but that should not be the case when coming from natgut.

I'll second the recommendation for Forten Sweet. Inexpensive and a great soft feel that complements the poly if you like to hybrid.

sansaephanh 11-15-2012 09:45 PM

Crispy: OGSM, POSG, Gamma n/wg, Babo N.Vy,

Forten is really mushy and powerful like a multi, but i like it.

Most important thing is to find your tension!

fortun8son 11-15-2012 09:57 PM

Only change one parameter at a time.
Use the same tension to start.
Some may disagree, but I'd recommend the Sweet 16 Gold as a low price substitute for the natgut.

WhereIsMacMac 11-15-2012 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Heart Thomas Muster (Post 7018298)

I agree with the RPM Team suggestion, best with Xcel crosses

tennisfreak73 11-16-2012 10:29 AM

i've been using OGSM 16g as my cross for most of my poly test for a while and it has a nice pop for a few hours, but after 2-4 hours it can get a bit "boardy". i have a set of forten sweet 16 that i'm going to try with some of my stiffer polys to soften them up and add some power. for the most part this seems to be the cross strings most start and for some stay w with since they have been proven to me very cost efficient and for the most part do the job. in other words, if you want more crisp feeling and add control while still softening up the bed a bit go with OGSM 16g. for more power and even more softness go with forten sweet 16. either way you'll have a decent setup.

stringertom 11-16-2012 01:54 PM

Babolat Addiction is a great multi to use as a crossstring for any poly. If you're stringing a lot, buy both the RPM and the Addiction in reels and maximize your savings by carefully measuring the needed lengths. You'll get a few extra half-sets of the Addiction so you can buy a couple of extra sets of the RPM to try and even it out.

If you're playing 16 or 17 RPM, use the 16 Addiction. If the RPM is 18, try Addiction 17.

lynnbart 11-16-2012 03:23 PM

We really like the Prince Original Synthetic Gut as a cross...

Killbill 11-18-2012 08:21 AM

Do u guys like rpm team better in 16 or 17 gauge?

EastAngels2014 11-18-2012 12:04 PM

Thank you for this thread, i had the same issue liking the hybrid, but cant buy the Gut. Then RPM Blast also died on me really fast which was sad, so i am going to try the RPM Team with Xcel and NVY.

Killbill 11-18-2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Francis27 (Post 7018346)
I agree with thomas about the RPM Team im a big fan of these strings and as an alternative for natural gut i recommend these following synthetic/multifilament strings:

-Tecnifibre X-One BiPhase (Plays like gut)
-Wilson NXT (plays like gut aswell)
-Head RIP Control
-Tecnifibre NRG2
-Weiss Cannon Explosiv
-Babolat Xcel

If i were too choose from these strings it would either be Tecnifibre X-One BiPhase, and Babolat Xcel

Would u suggest 16 or 17g with x-1 and explosiv?

lynnbart 11-18-2012 01:04 PM

i would stay with a 17g unless you start breaking them really fast. I love the feel of RPM but I haven't tried the Team version yet.

RPM does go dead quickly, but much like performance vehicle tires, they are the jiz when they are new and fresh.