Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   grommet replacement (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=445805)

TheLambsheadrep 11-15-2012 08:17 AM

grommet replacement

So to replace individual grommets, I think it would have to be between these two products (not necessarily these brands): http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage-GROMMET.html or http://www.amazon.com/Tennis-Racquet.../dp/B0014GH6VK. Does the nylon tubing change the feel of the string bed at all, will I notice any difference between the two?

Roger Wawrinka 11-15-2012 08:42 AM

Why are you replacing single grommets? If I were you I would just buy a new set for your racquet from TW? A full set is only a dollar more. But anyways, I don't think nylon tubing changes the feel that much. When I say that much, I mean unless you are extremely picky about your racquets, you will not be able to tell.

jjs891 11-15-2012 08:59 AM

Replacing single grommets with Fittex can become very expensive and not very durable solution IMO.

Nylon tubing is inexpensive but PIA to do for each restringing.

I think you're better off finding one with grommets and bumper guard. They are not that expensive and easy to find.

TheLambsheadrep 11-15-2012 09:00 AM

Sorry I didn't clarify, I thought people would have based comments on my previous post questions. To Roger W and anyone who doesn't know from before, I have a POG 2 which has individual grommets. I have been told and read around that the strip from the POG 3 and on would probably not fit my POG 2. So either of those options are prob my best bet at replacing the individual grommets (since I can't find original Prince POG i.grommets)

goran_ace 11-15-2012 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLambsheadrep (Post 7017920)
Sorry I didn't clarify, I thought people would have based comments on my previous post questions. To Roger W and anyone who doesn't know from before, I have a POG 2 which has individual grommets. I have been told and read around that the strip from the POG 3 and on would probably not fit my POG 2. So either of those options are prob my best bet at replacing the individual grommets (since I can't find original Prince POG i.grommets)

I've used both solutions on a 2nd gen POG with the individual grommets and they both work fine and will play the same. When working with the fittex grommets it helps to have a heat gun handy (e.g. heat it then pull/stretch to fit it into a narrow hole, or make wider if it's where you tie off).

TheLambsheadrep 11-16-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goran_ace (Post 7017958)
I've used both solutions on a 2nd gen POG with the individual grommets and they both work fine and will play the same. When working with the fittex grommets it helps to have a heat gun handy (e.g. heat it then pull/stretch to fit it into a narrow hole, or make wider if it's where you tie off).

Thanks for the insight. Is there an easier way to replace these i.grommets? I just got the POG2 and really want to get the full effect

goran_ace 11-16-2012 01:02 PM

It is really easy to replace individual grommets. You only have to modify the grommet if it's too wide and won't go into the hole or if it's where you'd tie off and it's going to be too narrow to pass your tie-off end through. These individual grommets can get pulled into the hole or can wear down and expose frame so make sure to inspect all of them before stringing. Also, be careful when cutting out/removing string because the grommets can fall out and if you have a dark colored floor they are hard to find (unless you are barefoot, then you will somehow end up stepping on it. Murhpy's Law.)

Not sure what you are talking about the 'full effect'. If you are talking about how it plays (compared to say the single stripe POG w a grommet strip), the grommets have no effect on the feel. I'd think there's more variability in how it'll play due to the fact that you're playing with a racket that's over 30 years old that has been strung a hundred times and who knows where/how it's been stored or what abuse it's been through.

TheLambsheadrep 11-16-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goran_ace (Post 7020240)
Not sure what you are talking about the 'full effect'. If you are talking about how it plays (compared to say the single stripe POG w a grommet strip), the grommets have no effect on the feel. I'd think there's more variability in how it'll play due to the fact that you're playing with a racket that's over 30 years old that has been strung a hundred times and who knows where/how it's been stored or what abuse it's been through.

Again, thanks for the info. I was referring to (again, prob something I should have just said out right) how a lot of the i.grommets have split and all of them are very brittle, and I can feel the inconsistencies and the rubbing of the strings on the split grommets. I don't know how many times it's been strung, but the overall condition is very good, hardy any marks on the upper hoop even though it's lacking the bumper guard. When I get the replacement grommets, I'll get some of my own string in there and I know it's going to feel sweeeet

Steve Huff 11-16-2012 09:12 PM

How many do you need? I have some, but probably not enough for an entire racket.

goran_ace 11-16-2012 10:37 PM

- deleted -

TheLambsheadrep 11-17-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Huff (Post 7020815)
How many do you need? I have some, but probably not enough for an entire racket.

theres 70 i.grommets, with the longest needing to be about 25mm and the shortest about 12mm. I wouldn't need 6 (the throat strip is fine, unless I can find another actual throat strip. I wouldn't use i.grommets there)