Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   from 1 to 2. (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=445812)

tennisfreak73 11-15-2012 09:25 AM

from 1 to 2.

hi all,

for over 25 years (i'm 39 now) off and on i've had a one handed backhand, which for the most part has never been a weapon as i use it to slice and i occasionally come over it when attacked. not to say a slice can't be a weapon, but its definitely not a finishing shot. at any rate, over the years i've slowly noticed a gradual shift in tennis, probably due to new racquet technology, string technology, and more modern techniques implemented. as a result i've had, for a number of years, consistently had a harder time dealing with all the power, spin, and angles of balls hit to my backhand. i find myself constantly on the defense (being pushed back) on my bh side and even when on court i'm in an offensive position i find it difficult to attack. perhaps i don't trust my bh anymore or never have, but now i'm losing to players who simply take advantage of my bh. my goal is to make it bh more of a weapon and a shot i can trust by converting it to a 2hbh. has anyone converted from 1 to 2 and what was your experience and end result? did you revert back, or stay the course? any info, comments, suggestions, thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
TF

LeeD 11-15-2012 10:12 AM

I'd say at least 60% of us have made the switch.
It's a lefty forehand, with support from your right hand. Simple as that.
Notice all 2hbh's are hit with closed stance, more direct swings.

kopfan 11-15-2012 11:10 AM

Why not try adjusting your footwork, grip and enhance your 1hbh. Try contacting the ball more outward, always step in, look over shoulder before swing. On deep bh, try taking a step backward with your left foot before moving into the ball, this will create ample time for setup. For wide bh, adjust your grip to more neutral and open up racquet face. Just have to adjust footwork, grip to adapt modern tennis speed, power and spin.

mikeler 11-15-2012 11:19 AM

Same age as you, I went back to the 2 handed backhand a few months ago due to lingering TE issues. I did have the benefit of playing with a 2 hander for my first 2 years playing tennis and also for about 9 months when I got back into tennis at age 30. My 2 hander is actually better now because I'm using my off hand much more to take pressure off my dominant hand.

sunof tennis 11-15-2012 12:28 PM

I think the majority of folks find it easier to learn a two-handed backhand than one hand. I tried it myself. Unfortunately, I am so left-handed that is was hard letting my right hand be the dominant hand like it should be. So, I went back to primarily a one-handed backhand but even now when I play someone who has a hard flat first serve, I will use two hands to return it.
LeeD is right, it is primarily a left handed forehand. I have had people choke up and hit left-handed forehands for a few minutes and then put the other hand on and they were hitting pretty good backhands almost immediately.

LeeD 11-15-2012 12:32 PM

And some weirdo's, like me, being a lefty, can hit much better right handed forehands than either my lefty forehand OR my lefty 1hbh or my lefty 2hbh.
And I never play with a rightie forehand!
When I play rightie, meaning it's 3.0 -3.5 weak hitting tennis, I use a conti grip.
Goofing around, I use a strong SW that is far superior to anything else I can hit.

vil 11-15-2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunof tennis (Post 7018327)
I think the majority of folks find it easier to learn a two-handed backhand than one hand. I tried it myself. Unfortunately, I am so left-handed that is was hard letting my right hand be the dominant hand like it should be. So, I went back to primarily a one-handed backhand but even now when I play someone who has a hard flat first serve, I will use two hands to return it.
LeeD is right, it is primarily a left handed forehand. I have had people choke up and hit left-handed forehands for a few minutes and then put the other hand on and they were hitting pretty good backhands almost immediately.

Funny you say that, I went through exact same thing. I'm a lefty and always had 1hb. Recently, because of my elbow injury,I started to make a switch to
2hander but I just can't get the right feel for the ball. Don't know, maybe I'm doing something wrong. I can't even think of having right hand dominant.:) Then decided to switch back with a small improvement. I have loosened my wrist (same for forehand) and that made a big difference for me. I'm playing more relaxed with better contact and control. All I need is practice.

cluckcluck 11-15-2012 01:46 PM

I went the other way, started with 2 and went to 1. I don't think I'll ever go back. I get more power, spin, and accuracy with 1.

UCSF2012 11-15-2012 06:52 PM

Let's see what you can do with it first. Can't give advice without concrete information.

slowfox 11-15-2012 06:52 PM

Tried to switch last year, but it never took hold. Thought of it as a left handed forehand (as folks mentioned), even practiced forehands with only my left hand, but still no go. Feels awkward to me. A one-hander feels more natural. Just extend the arm to the side... done!

Fuji 11-15-2012 06:56 PM

The two hander is such a strange stroke. For me it's so dependant on my grip. I can blast extremely high level players off the court with my 2HBH as long as my grip stays at a soft SW and a soft Eastern L/R respectively. I have a horrible habit of shifting my hands to a hard SW/Conti however which is when errors occur.

It's all about finding the grip that works best for your consistency!

-Fuji

5263 11-15-2012 07:01 PM

I made the switch years ago so I would be hitting the same Bh as my son that
I was coaching at the time, feeling it would give me more insight as to what he
was dealing with as he developed it.

Funny thing is I stayed with it as my primary and my son switched to a one, lol.
I never lost my one hander though, and it has improved as well. I just think the
2 hander is too important for returning big first serves, especially in doubles.
The two hander allows you to take on a 120mph first serve and hit it back with
TS, where most one handers have to revert to a slice. There are exceptions of
course, but even Fed often goes to the slice for big serves.

Anyway, I get more precision with the 2 for hard angles as well as I/O Bhs.
I can hit the onehander a bit harder and use it when spacing works out
naturally for it.

I really think the 2 is worth it, especially if you play doubles.

UCSF2012 11-15-2012 07:04 PM

FYI, midsize frames with lead make the 1hbh vicious. My forehand is spinny (med to high spin) with better directional control. My backhand is flat to medium spin, but raw power. Learn:

1) the half swing block flat. Redirect pace. Block it where they have trouble reaching.

2) Full rip drive. If you can set first. Swing ultra high to spin it down. These shots are not coming back. This is where gut/poly comes in: these shots don't go long but they occasionally go wide if you're over-ambitious.

Heavy rackets perform better on 1hbh block shots. Just stick the racket out and flick it back to them.

5263 11-15-2012 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCSF2012 (Post 7018942)
FYI, midsize frames with lead make the 1hbh vicious. My forehand is spinny (med to high spin) with better directional control. My backhand is flat to medium spin, but raw power. Learn:

You remind me about one of my theories.

I think the OS works better for 2 handers and the 90-95 rackets tend to fit
with one handers. 98-102s seem to be fine for either. Again, there are always
exceptions, like Hewitt, who I think played with a 90 or so.

kopfan 11-16-2012 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5263 (Post 7018950)
You remind me about one of my theories.

I think the OS works better for 2 handers and the 90-95 rackets tend to fit
with one handers. 98-102s seem to be fine for either. Again, there are always
exceptions, like Hewitt, who I think played with a 90 or so.

1 hander works better with mid size racquet 5 point HL or lower as 1hbh do full swing, step in, close stance and hit out front more. Need faster maneuver and grip change.
2 hander tend to hit with open and neutral stance more often, full or compact swing and midplus, OS size racquet with 4 point HL to 2 point HH would suit better.

Coach Chad 11-17-2012 09:43 AM

I cannot get the 2hbh to work for me. I am a lefty, my game resembles a left-handed Ferrer...I even use a Prince EXO 100 (55 lbs Beast). My two handers loop over the net, no spin, no pace. I have tried to emulate Ferrer's two hander...his grip is different; hands not together....hasn't worked. Think I will stay with 1hbh....seems I can reach out farther when on the run anyway.

LeeD 11-17-2012 01:06 PM

2hbh, when you need reach, you reach with 1hbh conti slice.
2hbh, when you hit topspin, the strikepoint is remarkably similar to 1hbh topspin shots, since lots are hit strong E gripped and well out in front.