Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Insanity for Tennis Conditioning (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=445814)

RackofSlamb 11-15-2012 09:39 AM

Insanity for Tennis Conditioning

There might be more threads on the Insanity home workout already, but I thought I would just start one with my opinions for anyone who has thought about doing the workout. First, about me, I am 24 years old, 6'1" and i weighed about 204 pounds when i started insanity. I was sucking wind on the tennis court, and i didnt start insanity specifically for tennis conditioning. I did insanity to lose weight, but my roommate and I hit the courts the other day and I felt a hundred times better this time around. That day we went and hit I had only done 2 weeks of the Insanity workout and it had helped that much. I sincerely think that my stamina and new found endurance helped me play much better and push some points back on my opponent. I am happy to answer any questions people might have about Insanity, and I just wanted to give my two cents. Thanks everyone.

user92626 11-15-2012 09:45 AM

Thanks for offering to answer questions. This workout regimen looks very appealing to me whenever I came across its informercial.

How long are you required to work out per day?

I already feel dreadful with 30 min treadmill running.

RackofSlamb 11-15-2012 10:00 AM

Hey no problem, it ranges between 30 to 40 minutes a day with about 10 to 15 of that being stretching and warmup...also one of the workouts is about an hour long (actually a little less than that, but I just say an hour) i am very satisfied with these dvd's for a number of reasons. I am just like you I hate the treadmill and i hate running. I will list out some reasons why I enjoy these DVD's

1) I am a very busy person and it is hard to find time to workout. I choose to do mine in the mornings before work so I can get it over with and it makes me feel better the rest of the day

2) Very good, very motivational instructor. The guy's name is Shaun T and he isn't completely annoying like the P90X guy, in fact, he is very inspriational and seems like he genuinely cares about each and every person who tries his workout.

3) The workout will always be hard because it is based on your abilities. Unlike P90X, Insanity does not require extra accessories to complete the workout. it is just you and the video. You do need an area big enough to workout in, the one I choose is about 8 x 8 and that is just fine for me. Like i said, this workout is based on your abilities so you keep progressing, for instance, doing jumping jacks as fast as you can during the warmup, someone who is new to exercise may not do as many as someone who exercises regularly, but as long as you are doing your best, that is accepted and you will see results

4) It is a hard workout, but definitely not impossible. Some people often ask me what Insanity is like compared to P90X which is understandable. They are produced by the same company. I am not a fan of P90X because I find Tony Horton to be extremely annoying, you have to buy too much extra crap for the workout, and I can't even do half the stuff he instructs. This is where Insanity gets the edge in my opinion, no extra stuff needed, just do your best, and you will improve. There is a fit test every 2 weeks in insanity. You do one for your first day and then do it again every two weeks. I saw much improvement in the exercises that are tested. It is notable that during the first couple of weeks I did not lose much weight, if any. This is no cause for alarm because you become more toned and add muscle. I am in the 3rd week now and I am experiencing rapid weight loss.

A few more notable things. Insanity is about $150. My suggestion, if this seems kind of steep, is to recruit a friend to do it with. That way you can split the costs and motivate each other. Me and my roommate are trying this and it has proven to be very effective. We keep an eye on each other and make sure we are completing the workouts and eating better. You don't have to give up everything you enjoy eating while doing insanity, but just exercise good judgment in what you eat. They tell you to drop the sweets and junk food which should be a given for any program. I do Weight Watchers along with insanity (Weight Watchers is a product I speak very highly of as well). I will also say if you are older, it may be difficult to do insanity, especially if you get sore knees easily. It is a lot of jumping and moving around and I normally hear people complain about their knees if that has been a problem in the past. Feel free to ask any more questions and I will be happy to answer them. Thanks!

RackofSlamb 11-15-2012 10:02 AM

One more thing, there is an off day each week so it is 6 days a week. Google "Insanity Calendar" and take a look if you are curious about the routine.

user92626 11-15-2012 10:16 AM

Thank so much, Rack

This workout sounds like very much up my alley. And man, your current situation sounds like mine, too.

Are you looking to staying fit like the Insanity guys on long term? I read that losing weight and getting fit initially is only half the battle. Keeping it long term is much harder. This is something I'm not sure I'm up to.

RackofSlamb 11-15-2012 10:20 AM

I have thought about that as well, they recently put out new insanity dvd's that are for more hardcore workout enthusiasts. I dont think I will try those yet. Since Insanity really is based on your own personal abilities, I think it would be just as effective to just start it all over again once you're done. Also, it's funny how your mind set changes once you get in the groove of an intense workout or diet. I have turned into kind of a health nut which I definitely was not before. I think I might try and do a little research about what people have done once they finish the Insanity DVD's, I will keep you posted.

Jonny S&V 11-15-2012 10:25 AM

Our varsity team is doing a modified version of Insanity as our off-season conditioning. Since they're doing it correctly (aka, putting all of their effort into it), it's not surprising they're getting better.

RackofSlamb 11-15-2012 10:40 AM

It's cool when teams do things like that together...In high school our entire football team took kung fu lessons for about a month to improve flexibility and hand and footwork, it worked too.

sureshs 11-15-2012 01:22 PM

I watch the Insanity infomercial frequently and that is by itself tiring for me :-)

goober 11-15-2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 7018415)
I watch the Insanity infomercial frequently and that is by itself tiring for me :-)

Why would you watch an informercial over and over?

sureshs 11-15-2012 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goober (Post 7018539)
Why would you watch an informercial over and over?

For exercise :-)

I think I have watched it thrice (while having dinner). The dynamism of the people leaves me breathless.