Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   How much longer does Fed have? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=445863)

EastAngels2014 11-15-2012 06:49 PM

How much longer does Fed have?

I have the utmost respect for Fed but how much longer can he play at this level, where the game is changing around him?

Sabratha 11-15-2012 07:02 PM

I'd say until 2014 he will be a top ten player. After that he might start to dip.

Qubax 11-15-2012 07:04 PM

I think it comes down to motivation.

When Fed is really motivated, he will do everything in his power preparation wise to be ready for a match and a tournament. I think once Fed regained #1 you saw a little waning of his motivation.

It's hard to say how motivated Fed will be next year...I could see him trying to really pick his spots interms of peaking next year(even more then normal) and imo with his chances of winning grand slams dwindling I could see Fed going "all in" for another push at Wimbeldon.

To be honest what I could see next year is Fed winning 3 or 4 tournaments rather then 6. Still winning one slam if he moves heaven and earth to win Wimbly and ending up in the hi 50's for match wins. The days of winning 70 plus matches probably ended this season.

Still a stellar potential 2013 for the Fed though. Ending the year in 2nd or 3rd.

EastAngels2014 11-15-2012 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabratha (Post 7018936)
I'd say until 2014 he will be a top ten player. After that he might start to dip.

I agree, i just dont see him being able to keep up with joker and Nadal and even Murray now who is stepping up his game.

EastAngels2014 11-15-2012 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qubax (Post 7018943)
I think it comes down to motivation.

When Fed is really motivated, he will do everything in his power preparation wise to be ready for a match and a tournament. I think once Fed regained #1 you saw a little waning of his motivation.

It's hard to say how motivated Fed will be next year...I could see him trying to really pick his spots interms of peaking next year(even more then normal) and imo with his chances of winning grand slams dwindling I could see Fed going "all in" for another push at Wimbeldon.

To be honest what I could see next year is Fed winning 3 or 4 tournaments rather then 6. Still winning one slam if he moves heaven and earth to win Wimbly and ending up in the hi 50's for match wins. The days of winning 70 plus matches probably ended this season.

Still a stellar potential 2013 for the Fed though. Ending the year in 2nd or 3rd.

Also a very good point, he is very committed, i think he wont lose Wimbledon unless for an injury that's his court nobody will take that from him. But i do believe he will pick and choose where he wants to put in 100%

Sabratha 11-15-2012 07:13 PM

I think Federer will actually win his last major at the 2014 AO after winning the 2013 Wimbledon, ending his "#1" run like it began.

lendlmac 11-15-2012 07:14 PM

If he wants to keep chasing Ivan Lendl's 94 titles....being 31, and having 76 titles already, he can get 3-4 titles a year to match Ivan Lendls career titles in 4-5 years at age 36 or 37.... If hevwants to chase jimmy connors, he will have to play well into his 40's....

He just past john mcenroe....so trying to equal or surpass ivan lendl will be difficult.....especially if he doesnt switch to a larger racquet...

EastAngels2014 11-15-2012 07:14 PM

I think Joker has the AO, it just seems to be his tournament lately

Clarky21 11-15-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastAngels2014 (Post 7018947)
I agree, i just dont see him being able to keep up with joker and Nadal and even Murray now who is stepping up his game.

He can keep up with Nadal who hasn't even played in nearly 6 months. Nadal is further past his prime than Fed is,and is no threat to Fed right now. It's the other two he needs to worry about,but as long as he still has the passion and desire to play then let him. I think it's going to take Fed actually retiring for a lot of people to realize just how much he's going to be missed. That's why it annoys me when people say he should retire after every match he loses. One day he will actually quit,and they'll regret it.

EastAngels2014 11-15-2012 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarky21 (Post 7018963)
He can keep up with Nadal who hasn't even played in nearly 6 months. Nadal is further past his prime than Fed is,and is no threat to Fed right now. It's the other two he needs to worry about,but as long as he still has the passion and desire to play then let him. I think it's going to take Fed actually retiring for a lot of people to realize just how much he's going to be missed. That's why it annoys me when people say he should retire after every match he loses. One day he will actually quit,and they'll regret it.

i dont think he should just stop after his first loss at all, he has two good years left in him, but i think the game is getting to fast for him because of his age. I think Nadal will retire earlier than expect because of this knee injure.

ctoth666 11-15-2012 07:34 PM

Despite winning Wimbledon, I just don't see how Federer can win another major. I never expected him to win Wimbledon, and tbh some things really fell into place and Murray underperformed in the final, Djokovic was unimpressive in the semifinals, etc...but it's tennis and the unpredictable happens, so Fed always has that going for him. But in terms of projecting major results, how is he going to beat Djokovic or Nadal or Murray at any of the hardcourt majors, or Djokovic or Nadal at the French Open? I don't see it ever happening, which leaves Wimbledon, and I don't feel comfortable making a call on that one in the spring.

I can see Federer up two sets and three match points at the OZ Open against Djokovic in the final, and then failing to convert on any of them and getting crushed from there on out. That sounds like vintage Fed...

OddJack 11-15-2012 07:44 PM

Quote:

...and Nadal?

Where have you been? Nadal is not in the equation anymore.

EastAngels2014 11-15-2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OddJack (Post 7019000)
...and Nadal?

Where have you been? Nadal is not in the equation anymore.

he will be back next season

EastAngels2014 11-15-2012 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctoth666 (Post 7018985)
Despite winning Wimbledon, I just don't see how Federer can win another major. I never expected him to win Wimbledon, and tbh some things really fell into place and Murray underperformed in the final, Djokovic was unimpressive in the semifinals, etc...but it's tennis and the unpredictable happens, so Fed always has that going for him. But in terms of projecting major results, how is he going to beat Djokovic or Nadal or Murray at any of the hardcourt majors, or Djokovic or Nadal at the French Open? I don't see it ever happening, which leaves Wimbledon, and I don't feel comfortable making a call on that one in the spring.

I can see Federer up two sets and three match points at the OZ Open against Djokovic in the final, and then failing to convert on any of them and getting crushed from there on out. That sounds like vintage Fed...

I dont see him winning the hard courts either or the clay that y i think he will win on grass because he knows that his only chance

Tennis_Hands 11-15-2012 07:49 PM

Everything depends on whether he is healthy or not. Other than that, he will still be beating most of the pack and reaching the QF and SF of the most important tournaments. He has too much variety for most of his rivals to cope with. They only have the option to overpower him, but if he is healthy only a couple can do that (as of now).

Quote:

Despite winning Wimbledon, I just don't see how Federer can win another major. I never expected him to win Wimbledon, and tbh some things really fell into place and Murray underperformed in the final, Djokovic was unimpressive in the semifinals, etc....

Yeah? So, how about admitting, that Federer played on a very high level, and made that happen.

Murray played as well as he could, and couldn't weather the storm. That is all about his "underperformance". And why was Djokovic "unimpressive"?

Quote:

but it's tennis and the unpredictable happens, so Fed always has that going for him.

Oh, really?

:roll:

Quote:

But in terms of projecting major results, how is he going to beat Djokovic or Nadal or Murray at any of the hardcourt majors, or Djokovic or Nadal at the French Open? I don't see it ever happening, which leaves Wimbledon, and I don't feel comfortable making a call on that one in the spring.

Federer is a very good HC player.

How is he going to beat Djokovic and Murray? Murray is definitely beatable. As is Djokovic, if Federer has a good day.

Quote:

I can see 666 cloths being used to mop the floor, should Federer win another major title, beating Murray and Djokovic in the process.

OddJack 11-15-2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastAngels2014 (Post 7019008)

Yeah, he will be back...and he will be good enuf to take over top 3 by some miracle after being away for 7 months.

EastAngels2014 11-15-2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OddJack (Post 7019021)
Yeah, he will be back...and he will be good enuf to take over top 3 by some miracle after being away for 7 months.

not top three but i do believe top 10 and he will work his way back inside the top 3. I have had a knee injure like that, it keep me out for a long period of time and i just put in the work to get back to where i was before and i feel like as a pro he will do the same.

Clarky21 11-15-2012 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastAngels2014 (Post 7019008)

Maybe,but he won't be successful,and will never win anything again.

Prisoner of Birth 11-15-2012 08:03 PM

He's still a Slam-contender for two more years, even though it's really tough.

jokinla 11-15-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

He just beat Murray, and a few months ago bageled Djoker in route to a win, I'd say he can still keep up with them. And who is the other guy, is he even on tour?