Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Midsize racket users (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=445869)

MikeHitsHard93 11-15-2012 07:33 PM

Midsize racket users

These rackets intrigue me. What are some of the easiest mids to adjust to/ most forgiving? Which ones are your favorites?

Migelowsky 11-15-2012 07:35 PM

I love the Dunlop Aerogel 4D 200,
check the review

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Revi...4D2Review.html

martini1 11-15-2012 07:36 PM

The Wilson 90 line aka the Federer sticks. Large sweet spot for a mid and easy to use after you got used to it.

SFrazeur 11-15-2012 07:41 PM

Mids with the largest sweetspot would be Yonex. At lest the RDX, RDS, RDiS mids felt larger than Wilson Tour 90 mids.

-SF

Say Chi Sin Lo 11-15-2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Migelowsky (Post 7018990)
I love the Dunlop Aerogel 4D 200,
check the review

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Revi...4D2Review.html

That's not a mid.

darklore009 11-15-2012 07:53 PM

i say either the dunlop 100s or the fed 90s

sansaephanh 11-15-2012 08:33 PM

By word of mouth I've heard good this about Yonex 100s(isometric head), Wilson 90s(PWS), and Dunlop100s. I don't know what makes the d100s forgiving, but i've only known it by word of mouth

xFullCourtTenniSx 11-15-2012 08:40 PM

BLX ProStaff 90 and Prestige Classic 600 felt pretty easy to me. But I'm used to heavier rackets... Soooooooo...

Favorites would be a PS85 from Chicago or SV and the K90.

anirut 11-15-2012 08:46 PM

Easiest one to adjust to, I don't know. May be the PS85.

But the hard one would be Pacific 90. But if you're able to consistently hit the center, fit and quick to play like an all-court player, it's sheer bliss, esp with the right string set up.

MikeHitsHard93 11-15-2012 08:53 PM

The only mid I have ever used was the PS 90 BLX. I liked pretty much everything about it. Although, I didn't play a match with it. Since the spin window is still pretty big with these, do you really think it would be that hard to switch from a tweener? 100->90 really that hard? I can handle the weight

MikeHitsHard93 11-15-2012 08:56 PM

As for sw, I can handle up to about 335-340ish

roundiesee 11-15-2012 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeHitsHard93 (Post 7019101)
The only mid I have ever used was the PS 90 BLX. I liked pretty much everything about it. Although, I didn't play a match with it. Since the spin window is still pretty big with these, do you really think it would be that hard to switch from a tweener? 100->90 really that hard? I can handle the weight

You should get a pair then, :) I don't think it is that difficult to play with compared to your tweener, especially if you can handle the weight. The sweetspot on the BLXPS90 isn't that small. Good luck!

Say Chi Sin Lo 11-15-2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeHitsHard93 (Post 7019101)

It's hard if you let your mind believe so. Otherwise, there's nothing prohibitive about using a mid.

latershow 11-16-2012 02:48 AM

I seem to find the sweetspot really consistently with Wilson 90's, the shape is just perfect for me. The Pacific 90 is glorious to play with when you are on your game but yes, they are not easy to play with at all. I found the Head Prestige Mid to be quite easy to get into a groove with, not as intuitive as the Wilson's, but much easier to adjust to than the Pacific. I would start with the Federer racket, cant go wrong with that one.

martini1 11-16-2012 02:52 AM

Don't expect to play it with pure top spin like some tweener sticks. You can get TS but for a mid you can also do some flat drives. Drop shots are also great with a mid.

The main draw back is the lack of emergency power when on defense. You will also need to perform the right posture on volleys and serves. Can't just take a big cut and hope the racket will bring the ball over deep. Other than these things mids are just as great. You will get tons of feel, plow thru, and control.

J011yroger 11-16-2012 03:12 AM

Just swing at the ball, and watch it go. No big deal about it.

As long as you are strong enough to keep the racquet tip pointed up you are fine. (This shouldn't be a problem for anyone over age 12)

J

fuzz nation 11-16-2012 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeHitsHard93 (Post 7018980)
These rackets intrigue me. What are some of the easiest mids to adjust to/ most forgiving? Which ones are your favorites?

I've tried a few myself and it seemed that any of the mids that were good 'n hefty also had a decent degree of forgiveness. I haven't sampled any of the middle-weight Dunlop 100's, but a couple of my mids have weighed in at 13.0 oz. or even more (I have a couple of leaded up "trainers" that weigh 13.4 oz.).

Yonex racquets seem to have an inherently wider sweet-spot and some players here who have used their mids have offered that those frames play more like a traditional (oval shaped) mid-plus. I've only used their older MP Tour-1 mid, but the sweet-spot on that racquet definitely wasn't elusive for me.

A few years back, I happened upon a Prince NXG mid and found a very good "fit" with that racquet. The weight, balance, and extra flex made for a recipe that clicked with me right out of the box. Despite the smaller head size, it was much easier for me to put the ball in the heart of the string bed with that racquet than just about any other 95"-100" frame I had used. No mystery - that's why we demo, right? We know a good fit when we feel it.

One thing that can chase the forgiveness out of a mid in a hurry (for me) is the wrong string tension. I'm usually much more aware of a harsh or dead string bed in a mid when I string it a little too snug than with maybe a 98" hoop. Just something to keep in mind if you get to trying different mids.

J011yroger 11-16-2012 04:21 AM

Excellent point Fuzz. Mids are fickle *****es when it comes to string type and tension.

J

MikeHitsHard93 11-16-2012 05:39 AM

Just curious, but why did everyone here start using a mid/when? And which Wilson mid is the easiest/ best in your opinion?

MikeHitsHard93 11-16-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzz nation (Post 7019384)
I've tried a few myself and it seemed that any of the mids that were good 'n hefty also had a decent degree of forgiveness. I haven't sampled any of the middle-weight Dunlop 100's, but a couple of my mids have weighed in at 13.0 oz. or even more (I have a couple of leaded up "trainers" that weigh 13.4 oz.).

Yonex racquets seem to have an inherently wider sweet-spot and some players here who have used their mids have offered that those frames play more like a traditional (oval shaped) mid-plus. I've only used their older MP Tour-1 mid, but the sweet-spot on that racquet definitely wasn't elusive for me.

A few years back, I happened upon a Prince NXG mid and found a very good "fit" with that racquet. The weight, balance, and extra flex made for a recipe that clicked with me right out of the box. Despite the smaller head size, it was much easier for me to put the ball in the heart of the string bed with that racquet than just about any other 95"-100" frame I had used. No mystery - that's why we demo, right? We know a good fit when we feel it.

One thing that can chase the forgiveness out of a mid in a hurry (for me) is the wrong string tension. I'm usually much more aware of a harsh or dead string bed in a mid when I string it a little too snug than with maybe a 98" hoop. Just something to keep in mind if you get to trying different mids.

Thank you for your insight...and it also seems that the aerodynamics of a mid make it just about as fast as a lower sw midplus.

A reason why I want a mid is because I get very lazy with my preparation with a 11oz tweener. I am fairly strong, so I can be lazy. I think I possess fairly good technique and believe that using a mid will just force me to play my best. Not to mention, the sublime precision and control of a mid.